Spiritual Baths

The usage of spiritual bathing goes back thousands of years and can be used for almost any purpose. It relies on the power of aqueous substances to convey spiritual conditions onto the person or thing that is bathed in it.

So, what exactly are spiritual baths?

They are basically liquids infused with power, either by natural virtue or by magical material, that are used to bathe the body to produce spiritual conditions or effects.

What do they “do”?

They can be utilized for almost any magical purpose. To cleanse, draw love, money, prepare yourself for a ritual, etc.

Spiritual baths can be done in natural water locations, such as streams, rivers, lakes, and oceans. They can also be done in your shower or tub. Normally, the former is used for healing, protection, cleansing, and preparation for ritual. While the latter is much more versatile. I will focus on tub/shower baths but I’ll touch on natural baths a little.

Indoor spiritual baths:

These are, by far, the most common in today’s world. Access to natural scenery is a luxury to most urban dwellers. But that doesn’t make these types of baths any less powerful. They can still be very effective.
So, how do you make these kinds of baths?
Firstly, it should noted that just because they are referred to as baths does not mean you must have a tub. You can also use these in showers, and I will explain how to do that.

For an indoor bath, you are going to need a base liquid. This will often be water, but can include other liquids as well depending on the nature of the bath. The best kind of base water will be naturally gathered from a stream, river, ocean, or rainfall. But tap will work as well. Always use COLD water, never hot or warm.
Next, you are going to need a big bowl or jar (or even multiple jars). You are going to pour all the base liquid into this bowl.
In order to charge this water with spiritual power you are going to mix into it magical material. Most often, plant materials. The best is stuff that you yourself have harvested with the spirit of the plant invoked and fed. For certain baths, freshly harvested herbs are a must, but you can usually get away with dried herbs.
For dried herbs, it is sufficient to crush or grind it up then add it in. Fresh herbs with have to be torn up before cast into the water. As you add in each herb, invoke the spirit instructing it in its duties. This requires you to understand the nature of the plant itself and its function in the bath. So, for example, a love bath may be, “Cinnamon, lend your fire to this bath, give it strength and speed, Rose, bring me the love I desire, sugar, draw lovers to me and keep them sweet”.
After you’ve added the rest of the ingredients, take a spoon or your finger and mix it the bath around (clockwise to draw something, counter to remove). While you do so, address the spirits of the plants and state your prayer of intent such as, “Spirits of the plants that I have filled with my intent, draw me the love that I desire and seek etc,” get detailed and further impregnate it by visualizing your desires being brought to you.

Leave the bath for 30 minutes, allowing the herbs to steep. You’ll know the bath is ready when it has changed color. Then strain it out into another bowl. This is taken to your shower or bath.

If you want to soak yourself in these waters, you will draw a bath, again using cold water. Then pour the bath into the tub and mix it around a little bit. Slip into the bath and soak yourself in for 15 to 30 minutes. Dunk yourself several times to get every nook and cranny wet. This can be accompanied by specific ceremonies of dunking and releasing negativity into the bathwater, rubbing the water up while praying and visualizing the fulfillment of your desires.

If you don’t have a bath, stand in your shower instead. Pour the bath water slowing over your body, again getting every part of your body.

To make the effect stronger, make either a large enough bath to last you several days, or make the same bath each day. This can be accompanied by the usage of talismans, candles, etc. But baths can be effective done on their own.

Note that you should carefully research whether certain herbs or essential oils could be toxic or abrasive. The ingredient ammonia is sometimes called for, put unless diluted in a bucket of water, it can fuck up your skin. Red peppers can also cause irritation.

Other liquids utilized can be…
Milk (cleansing, cooling down)
Florida Water
Siete Machos
Holy Water

Useful recipes

Tres Leches (Three Milks)
Goat milk
Cow milk
Almond milk
white roses
cascarilla
Holy water
Siete Machos/Florida water

Purpose: Cleansing and purification

A simpler cleansing bath
Rue
Pine needles
Rosemary

Outdoor baths

These are done in bodies of water, preferably moving ones. Use rivers, steams, or the ocean itself if you live on the coast.
These are much simpler to do if you have the access to them. The basics of this are to make offerings to the genius/spirit of the body of water and ask them for help as you submerge yourself in their waters. Normally, these are used in healing and cleansing ceremonies, rather than for specific conditions. Though, as I noted, you can take some of this water home for baths indoors.

5 Likes

I have not done this in a long while, but I used to take them all the time when I was heavily into the wiccan stuff back in the early and mid 2000’s. I always called them ritual baths though, because I was either cleansing myself before a ritual and doing meditations in the tub to open my chakras, or the bath was for a specific purpose. I would light a candle or two and pour herbs into the tub related to my intentions, and sometimes have crystals sitting on the edge of the tub.

However, lately I have taken showers (all I have right now is a big double seated stand up shower) so I have been cleansing myself with the shower head. Standing under the water and imagining my body being drenched in blue light and the water coming out is really a blue mist of electrical energy. It makes me feel relaxed and renewed.

Great post Euoi, thanks. I find that the herbs steep if the water is warm or hot - like a tea - and then I pour that tea into the bath. I find it easier to stand the bath if it’s not cold. What’s your reason for using cold water?

Whenever I’ve used hot water it has unbalanced me and made me agitated.

I use cold to luke warm water, so the temperature is tolerable but warm water relaxes me too much and cold water is just a shocker on the lungs and the female parts LOL. But if I am using herbs or my homemade ritual bath salts, I do use warm water as it is necessary to melt the salts or infuse the oils from the herbs.

1 Like