Spirits that crossed my mind to evoke

I’m looking through Waite’s The Book of Ceremonial Magic, in the section of talismans.

I originally was thinking of copying the talisman and ring seals onto small pieces of wood by hand. I actually did the fifth talisman per the picture.

As I’m looking at the eleventh one (which will be a bitch to draw all detail with pen in hand and a nickel sized magnifying glass in the other), I’m reading the description and start thinking, who are these names mentioned?

So, the idea is now, I wonder if the names for orations, pentacles, talismans, or enochian and othet system spirits if the letters, can be used to bring forth those named spirits through evocation - and, are they safe to do so without circle and triangle with old school rules?

Reason why … It may be a chained/bound anarchistic, chaotic servitor, you know? Or from another plane/angle/dimension.
Evoking ALL the names from these old grimoires, using the pentacle or talisman like a sigil, that is the question…

2 Likes

Example … The twelfth talisman from the Black Pullet, has names to punish enemies.

Xatros is one name I could not find, except for an allegation that they are fire spirits.

Nifer is one of the names, and this was found in Wikipedia:
Cynan Nant Nyfer (“Cynan of the Nevern Valley”; fl. 865[1]) was a 9th-century Welsh warrior whose death was recorded by most of the surviving Welsh histories.[1][2][3][4] He was credited with many victories against the Saxons.[5] Among the variations of his name was Cynan Nawdd Nifer (“Cynan, Protection of Many”).[4]

Ninth century Wales … Wonder what year and country the Black Pullet originated.
According to Wikipedia,
The Black Pullet (La poule noire) is a grimoire that proposes to teach the “science of magical talismans and rings”, including the art of necromancy and Kabbalah. It is believed to have been written in the 18th century[1] by an anonymous French officer who served in Napoleon’s army. The text takes the form of a narrative centering on the French officer during the Egyptian expedition led by Napoleon (referred to here as the “genius”) when his unit is suddenly attacked by Arab soldiers (Bedouins). The French officer manages to escape the attack, but is the only survivor. An old Turkish man appears suddenly from the pyramids and takes the French officer into a secret apartment within one of the pyramids. He nurses him back to health whilst sharing with him the magical teachings from ancient manuscripts that escaped the “burning of Ptolemy’s library”.

So I guess that was speculation.

One of the fifth is Noctar, which according to Wikipedia, is a moth.

1 Like

Or one of the eighth … Dedos:

1 Like

Divination seems the best way to find out.

4 Likes

This would be for Saritap, Pernisox, Ottarim…

2 Likes

I wonder what these Egyptian words mean, and if they’re related to constellations or alchemy, as the signs bordering are Scorpio, Libra, Mars or Sagittarius, and Taurus or Capricorn. On the lower portion it could be Leo. The characters to engrave on the ring appear to me to be alchemical symbols.

2 Likes

However, they don’t seem all Egyptian for two reasons, both centered to the same region…
#19 has as one of the words OSTHARIMAN, which is interesting with the first four letters removed.
A page or two forward, Waite goes into the Black Hen. The first was owned by the father of Zoroaster.
So maybe any of the magic words mean something, maybe not. Interesting.

2 Likes

#5 "Will make the most taciturn man unbosom himself to its possessor, whose enemies will also be forced to confess all their machinations."
Celtic Cross spread, DuQuette CM deck.
"What can you tell me about the being named Noctar?"
Significator - Five of Swords - Lord of Defeat - Venus in 0’ to 10’ Aquarius.
Covers him - Three of Cups - Lord of Abundance - Mercury in 10’ to 20’ Cancer.
Crosses him - Two of Cups - Lord of Love - Venus in 0’ to 10’ degrees Cancer.
Crowns him - Two of Swords - Lord of Peace Restored - Luna in 0’ to 10’ Libra.
Beneath him - Ace of Cups - Root of the Powers of Water - Spirit of Water.
Behind him - Prince of Wands - Prince of the Chariot of Fire - Air of Fire - 20’ Cancer to 20’ Leo.
Before him - Emperor - Son of the Morning; Chief Among the Mighty - Aries - Order, rhythm, sight. Chokmah/Wisdom to Tiphareth/Beauty.
Querent - Six of Disks - Lord of Material Success - Luna in 10’ to 20’ Taurus.
Environment - Chariot - Child of the Powers of Waters; Lord of the Triumph of Light - Cancer - Will - Binah/Understanding to Geburah/Strength.
Hopes and Fears - Fool - Spirit of the Aether - Air - Kether/Crown to Chokmah/Wisdom - Life Force.
Final Result - Four of Wands - Lord of Perfected Work - Venus in 20’ to 30’ Aries.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

#5 "Will make the most taciturn man unbosom himself to its possessor, whose enemies will also be forced to confess all their machinations."
Celtic Cross spread, DuQuette CM deck.
"What can you tell me about the spirit named Raiban?"
Significator - Three of Discs - Lord of Material Works - Mars in 10’ to 20’ Capricorn.
Covers him - Princess of Swords - Princess of the Rushing Winds; Lotus of the Palace of Air - Earth of Air - Rules Cap Aqu Pis.
Crosses him - Five of Cups - Lord of Loss in Pleasure - Mars in 0’ to 10’ degrees Scorpio.
Crowns him - Ace of Swords - Root of the Powers of Air - Spirit of Air.
Beneath him - Empress - Daughter of the Mighty Ones - Venus - Creative Imagination, Multiplication. Chokmah / Wisdom to Binah / Understanding.
Behind him - Magus -Magus of Power- Mercury - Self consciousness, beginnings - Kether /Crown to Binah /Understanding.
Before him - Justice - Daughter of the Lords of Truth; Ruler of tye Balance. - Libra - action-equilibrium, Reflection after conclusion -
Geburah / Strength to Tiphareth/Beauty.
Querent - Chariot - Child of the Powers of Waters; Lord of the Triumph of Light - Cancer - Will - Binah / Understanding to Geburah / Strength.
Environment - Seven of Discs- Lord of Success Unfulfilled - Saturn in 20’ to 30’ Taurus - Will.
Hopes and Fears - Prince of Cups - Air of Water - 20’ Libra to 20’ Scorpio.
Final Outcome - Eight of Discs - Lord of Prudence - Sol in 0’ to 10’ Virgo

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Extending idea to names used in conjurations,
"Tell me about the spirit named Gabriel."
Celtic Cross
Significator - Seven of Discs - Lord of Success Unfulfilled - Saturn in 20’ to 30’ Taurus.
Could be within that star group.
Covers Him - Prince of Discs - Air of Earth - 20’ Aries to 20’ Taurus.
Interesting both are within Taurus. Uriel?
Crosses him - Tower - Mars.
Qabbalistic views might say yes, as per crosses across hod and Netzach.
Crowns him - Seven of Wands - Lord of Valour - Mars in 20’ to 30’ Leo.
Beneath him - Six of Cups - Lord of Pleasure -
Sol in 10’ to 20’ Scorpio.
Behind him - Three of Swords - Lord of Sorrow - Saturn in 10’ to 20’ Libra.
Before him Knight of Disks - Fire of Earth - 20’ Leo to 20’ Virgo.
Querent - Nine of Wands - Lord of Great Strength - Luna in 10’ to 20’ Sagittarius.
This makes sense as Yesod is the station of Gabriel, the west.
Environment - Princess of Cups - Earth of Water - Rules Libra Scorpio Sagittarius.
Hopes and fears - Nine of Discs - Lord of Material Gain - Venus in 10’ to 20’ Virgo.
Final outcome - Prince of Swords - Air of Air - 20’ Capricorn to 20’ Aquarius.
The nines and air associations make sense.

Extending idea to names used in conjurations,
"Tell me about the spirit named Sandalphon."
Celtic Cross
Significator - Two of Discs - Lord of Harmonious Change - Jupiter in 0’ to 10’ Capricorn.
Could be within that star group.
Covers Him - Ten of Wands - Lord of Oppression - Saturn in 20’ to 30’ Sagittarius.
Winter Solstice relation?
Crosses him - Nine of Cups - Lord of Material Happiness - Jupiter in 10’ to 20’ Pisces.
Crowns him - Seven of Wands - Lord of Valour - Mars in 20’ to 30’ Leo.
Beneath him - Six of Cups - Lord of Pleasure -
Sol in 10’ to 20’ Scorpio.
Behind him - Universe - Lord of the Gates of Night of Time - Saturn/Earth.
Before Him - Queen of Swords - Water of Air - 20’ Virgo to 20’ Libra.
Querent - Ace of Discs - Root of the Powers of Earth. Spirit of Earth.
Environment - Three of Swords - Lord of Sorrow - Saturn in 10’ to 20’ Libra.
Hopes and fears - Hermit - Virgo - Law of Response.
Final Outcome - Knight of Wands - Fire of Fire - 20’ Scorpio to 20’ Sagittarius.
Shadow - Three of Disks - Lord of Material Works - Mars in 10’ to 20’ Capricorn.
The earth correspondences make sense, I can see sorrow as Tav is considered the Gates of Tears. Ten of Wands crossing is interesting in terms of NT Revelation, Knight of Wands is interesting as Sandalphon the Lesser Prince of the Countenance, Metatron the Greater.
Pleased with the reading.

Nifer is Lucifer Himself