Somnus Dreadwood

Interesting, thank you for taking the time to type that. :thumbsup:

2 Likes

@Lady_Eva You are welcome

1 Like

@Lady_Eva Really, what makes the material so difficult to grasp at times is the way they use their Whispers to cast in a simple incantation, chant or even single word (sometimes with a sigil) what many would do a full ritual for (or perhaps couldn’t even do then).

3 Likes

Apparently, they posted the sigils online so if you are still unsure then evoke them for yourself and see how real they are
http://forum.becomealivinggod.com/t/sigils-of-the-blighted-lords-of-the-maergzjiran-cabal-and-descriptions-of-them/21612

1 Like

Bumping this for helpful reply and thanks to @TheStorm for checking with them regarding copyright status. :thumbsup:

1 Like

You must have not seen my post on this thread:
http://forum.becomealivinggod.com/t/the-cabal/20705?source_topic_id=21565

It shows that the “Draelith for Humans Language Rules & Vocabulary” (a document published by Somnus Dreadwood) is pure fiction that was ripped off from Drow dictionaries (a fantasy D&D race)

One of the most common claims are that the Lich is also pure fiction. Here is a quick comparison of the Lich from the Cabal and D&D. The two books used for reference are Charnel Whispers (2012) and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Monstrous Manual (1993).

First we have the near identical descriptions of what a lich is in both Charnel Whispers and in the Monstrous Manual:
“The lich is, perhaps, the single most powerful form of undead known to exist. They seek to further their own power at all costs and have little or no interest in the affairs of the living…”
“…a lich will protect itself from annihilation with the creation of a phylactery in which it stores its life force.”

Next, let’s take a look at the spells of the lich. On pages of 85 and 86 of Charnel Whispers we have the following 3 spells:

Aspect of the Lich: Fear
Aspect of the Lich: Keraktian Chill
Aspect of the Lich: Hand of Death

These are quite similar to what is found in the Monstrous Manual in the Lich section:

“The aura of magical power which surrounds a lich is so potent that any creature of fewer than 5 Hit Dice (or 5th level) which sees it must save vs. spell or flee in terror for 5-20 (5d4) rounds”
…”its aura of absolute cold will inflict 1-10 points of damage”
…” it unleashes a howl which acts as a death ray, affecting all creatures within a 20’ radius…”

Now if look at the ritual for the creation of a Lich we will also note some similarities. From Charnel Whispers:
The last Rite of Necromantic Apotheosis
“Requirements: Phylactery, Death Elixer, Death Incense”
“Astronomy: Must be performed during the Infernal Hour on the night of a new or full moon…”
“Allow the elixir to take its course through your body as well. This will be your mortal end…”

From Monstrous Manual:
“In order to become a lich, the wizard must prepare its phylactery…”
“Once this object is created, the would-be lich must craft a potion of extreme toxicity…”
“When next the moon is full, the potion is imbibed…”
“Rather than death, the potion causes the wizard to undergo a transformation into its new state…”

There are too many of these similarities to be ignored, and this is what I could find from just a 5 min. google search.

What I didn’t find was any historical references that use the terms “Lich” and “phylactery” in this manner. A little bit of further research and I found this:
“Gary Gygax, one of the cocreators of Dungeons & Dragons, stated that he based the description of a lich included in the game on the short story “The Sword of the Sorcerer” (1969) by Gardner Fox.”

This combined with the Draelith Language document is a strong indication that the Cabal’s material is based on pure fantasy. If I had more time and patience I’m sure I could find more connections between the two.

Oh, and you have this backwards:

We confronted with this accusation they are the once who regurgitate a bunch of dogma and never provide any actual evidence to the contrary.

1 Like

Can we keep this thread limited to experiences with the books please, as I requested above?

1 Like

It is essentially edgy chaos magick with most of the useful parts of chaos magic watered down. The majority of the spells have you visualize something, then say a “whisper”, which is just a few words in some unknown language.

Here is one of the “Void Meditations” from Eye of the Oracle:

VM: Alternate 5 (Spa Style)
…“You will use the following: a warm batch or shower, scented candles or incense, music/noise, a towel or blindfold, and some type of food you associate with a realm of study… As pizza is the standby of many gamers and college students cramming before exams, this choice should be a strong parallel. For myself, in years past, this was always sushi or Taco Bell…”
This is only a few bits from the section because it’s a rather long paragraph, but I think you get the picture.

Here is one of the Whispers from the same book:
“Beatdown
A thousand phantom fists, elbows, knees, and feet assault the body of the enemy in a flash moment. The body is immediately afflicted with bruises, broken bones; blood spills and both confusion and terror overcome the mind.
Void whisper: Szar’kth (Zar-Kah’th)”

Usually no instructions are given as to actually use these spells, other than just do it.

2 Likes

@Fin_McLintock You are taking this so out of context. That is obviously a natural extension of the technique that they taught in the PREVIOUS CHAPTER on how to telekinetically attack another person… Also, they have instructions on how the Whispers are to be used at the start of that chapter too.

4 Likes

I work the books but i have nothing to do with the Cabal. I have got this far in my own so to speak and i do not need someone to tell me if im the real deal.or judge me at this point in the game. Ya know what i mean? I recommend the books and the current though but i must warn you that it IS much different from the Infernal Realm and the Demonic Kings. From my first ritual it was immense and once you go in there is no going back. You see that immediately. And i sat there and thought what the FUCK did i just do!?

6 Likes

@nikki which book did you use to initiate yourself into the current? I also am leery of diving into it at this time because I want to be able to continue working with any kind of spirit I desire (both celestial and infernal), and it seems pretty clear that working with Maergzjirah precludes the possibility of working with any celestial beings.

@Nyxifer Both the Black Scriptures and the Left Hand has the initiation rites. The Left Hand is a lot more simplified though.

1 Like

I used the Black Scriptures.

1 Like

You mean psychically?

1 Like

@Aiden_Crow As in move objects through directed energy and seriously disrupt people’s systems (physical, energetic or mental) through the same methods.

Those are psychic objects, I’m not sure that’d count as telekenetic ability.

@Aiden_Crow No. I mean move pencils and stuff through directed energy, then hurl that same sort of thing at a person.

In reference to this.

1 Like

@Aiden_Crow Yes. They have a thing on Telekinesis on the previous chapter which I am working through right now. That’s the next step up.

So that’s what you’re referring to? What I quoted?

1 Like