Somnus Dreadwood

Did you guys have good results with his books?

1 Like

This thread has everything you need to know. Scroll down to the screen shots from asbjorn for the good stuff.

http://forum.becomealivinggod.com/t/the-cabal/20705

2 Likes

As far as Somnus himself I don’t know.
Haven’t read his books but then I read few books actually.

I’m not too fond of his crew though. But that’s personal opinion so be your own judge.

7 Likes

Just to answer the OP itself and disregarding the other side of the controversy: yes, the stuff works and works well.

5 Likes

Thanks that’s all i needed :slight_smile::ok_hand:

1 Like

His books are good for energy work. The deities are also very interesting and have quite a few powers that are quite potent. I’m not fond of the dogma within the group, though. I’d say the books are worth the money just because the illustrations carry power and creativity unlike any I’ve seen. Some of the rituals might be difficult to do outside of a coven setting but many of the rituals also have few if any requirements.

3 Likes

In my opinion there are probably better things you can buy but that’s me

2 Likes

Well honestly I think he’s a DnD LARPer and a fraud as well as a controlling peckerhead but hey, what do I know?

4 Likes

“Proud Apostate” XD

2 Likes

Here’s some experiences that occultists have had with the Cabal. Dan is a trustworthy fellow and his videos are worth a watch. - YouTube

1 Like

Completely right. Most of the books content is nonsense and only has occasional pieces of genuine occult knowledge. There is a heavy influence from D&D in these books and some material is directly copied from it.

Even if the material was genuine, most of it is so impracticable that you would never need to use it.

1 Like

They’ve covered and disproved the links between their teachings and Dungeons and Dragons several times- I see this argument creep up fairly regularly and it makes me wonder why it’s continuously regurgitated with no evidence ever given.

3 Likes

@Valanardeth Thank you, brother. I’d given up on replying but that’s pretty much exactly what I wanted to say. (NOT a Disciple btw. I have no reason to support them other than the fact that they’ve always been courteous and helpful).

2 Likes

I honestly don’t care if they are DnD or not. Alot of us use Lovecraft. And I’ve been know to work with the Joker.

I personally think they allow too many distractions and hold grudges when they should just let it go and move on. I think they put alot of limitations on themselves. But this is my personal opinion.

I’d be curious to know how Somnus himself feels about the whole Asbjorn thing. His members speak about it but unless I’ve missed something, I haven’t heard him say anything either way.

I’m not gonna bash books I haven’t read. So I can’t say if it’s good or not. I would imagine it’s like anything…take what you need or like from it and discard the rest.

3 Likes

He made a post in the Facebook group sometime back.

1 Like

Cool. But not sure if I can see them…like you pointed out could be friends only. But I will see. I don’t use fb too much

1 Like

Important: I would greatly appreciate people keeping this about Somnus Dreadwood’s books, and their own direct results and experiences with them ALONE please, and not the personalities or conduct of people, perceived or real, within the Cabal.

That was what I understood the OP to be about, and we have already had a thread that opened the topic of personalities and ethics.

Keeping this about personal experience with the books seems the most likely route to a frutiful discussion.

Regarding the “D&D” issue, we do have several threads on here where people talk openly about working with fictional and self-created entities, so in a thread purely about whether the books worked for members here, it’s a bit off topic.

And @Valanardeth - please introduce yourself to members of the forum in this thread.

It’s one of the forum’s rules, but you probably didn’t see it.

3 Likes

Okay. Honest opinion on the books themselves: some of the most work-intensive stuff I’ve ever seen. The spells have a habit of falling flat unless you put in a lot of work to actually learning this (maybe I am just bad at it). It’s A LOT harder than say the OAA or a lot of the stuff from the Temple of Ascending Flame. Once you can do them though, the stuff is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Nothing works as well from my experience once you’ve figured out how to cast it. Definitely recommended.

3 Likes

What kind of work would it be - materials needed, special timing, fasting, study, ritual evocations and spirit work? Just trying to get an overall picture. :thumbsup:

1 Like

@Lady_Eva[quote=“Lady_Eva, post:19, topic:21565”]
materials needed,
[/quote]

They tend to be rather minimalistic. Eye of the Oracle requires almost nothing. The Left Hand and Charnel Whispers requires a bit more but it definitely requires less materials than say EA’s stuff. The Black Scriptures is a bit material intensive at times.[quote=“Lady_Eva, post:19, topic:21565”]
special timing,
[/quote]

Not often. Full moon, New moon and at night tend to be the usual.[quote=“Lady_Eva, post:19, topic:21565”]
fasting,
[/quote]
At times, yes.[quote=“Lady_Eva, post:19, topic:21565”]
study
[/quote]
the spells themselves are easy to understand as instructions. It’s just far harder to actually conjure the energies needed to cast them.[quote=“Lady_Eva, post:19, topic:21565”]
ritual evocations and spirit work?
[/quote]
The evocation style tends to be rather minimalistic most of the time. A few of the evocations in Profane Seala are a bit impractical though (of the bury sigils in graveyard variety).

5 Likes