Social Media & The Magician

I resisted social media for as long as I could. I might have logged in twice a year, to write a fan letter. Then I moved from Australia to New Zealand and found myself socially isolated. Some of my old friends from Oz made contact with me via FB, it made me feel less lonely.
I soon found that my initial dislike of social media was well founded.
I don’t understand why people want to share so much mundane crap with the whole damn world! I enjoy the discussions I have with like minded people on things like music, but I really don’t care who has just done their washing or particularly want to hear about a feud that has nothing to do with me! I’ve also been around for long enough to know, that if you’re not a celebrity, no one’s that interested in what you have to say anyway, even if you think it’s something interesting. That is why I put very little original content on there, unless I really want some feedback.
Anyhow, a week ago, I’m in an aeroplane, about to take off and just as I switch my phone to flight mode, I see an altert for a FB comment. I’m about to quickly switch back and read it, when I have Lucifer in my ear saying, “Take a 3 day break from social media, effective immediately.” I didn’t argue, because it’s not as though I’m addicted, but I did ask why it was necessary. He told me I would understand in good time. I realised that certain people on FB had been making me angry far more than they should have been and that I was actually being rather judgemental. I understand much better why so many in the occult community are withdrawing from social media. It is an absolute celebration of the mundane! Wallowing in that stuff is anything but conducive to a magickal mindset!
It is great to be able to connect with like minded folk, such as yourselves and I’m not about to delete any real life friends, just because they over-share, but I am grateful for the 3 day break and what I learned from it.

Yea haha i have joined a few occult groups on there but aside from that and talking to occult friends i stay away from fb cuz i dont care what you are having for dinner, or that your girlfriend broke your heart, or eve that you are pissed at someone lol. You are right its a mundy celebration. Im on here more often just looking for a thread or thinking of a topic for one so i can relieve my boredom haha.

Well said.

Anyone who doesnt like Facebook is a Communist. Also anyone who disagrees with me is a Communist. Theres this game I like to play on FB called “Dead Trigger 2.” Shooting communist zombies.

I really like that advice… made me think Lucifer is very thoughtful.

I’m in the similar situation with Lilithflower,
I relocated country last year and FB for a while comforted my loneliness
and some tough situation.

But I guess for now, indulging FB just prevents me from
building my own life from the scratch.

Magic wise, to me particularly FB is kind of energy drain,
it dries me out especially when it’s stagnate.

When I’m weak I’m like a piece of nail stuck to a big magnet.

Rarely in those situation I come out of FB filled with energy
although some friends try to comfort me in some ways.

Too much time spent on social media/the Internet is bad for you anyway. It’s life draining.

[url=http://www.medicaldaily.com/social-media-major-depressive-disorder-mental-health-379396]http://www.medicaldaily.com/social-media-major-depressive-disorder-mental-health-379396[/url]

And another thing, checking in, letting potentially everybody know where you are, THAT IS INSANE! Why not just print a T-shirt with “PLEASE STALK ME!” written on the back? A football game or an AC/DC concert might be relatively safe, due to the size of the crowd. A restaurant, not so.

Smoke and Mirrors is all that shit will ever be. No one is what they seem to be. lol

1 Like

Exactly. Just look around, and try to imagine how many forum female avatars are really men pretending to be women, and vice versa. Then take into account how many most probably utilize multiple online accounts to pretend to be someone they are not. Yeah it can get really creepy =) but at the same time some of the people that do not want to be exposed are these same people I would speak of here, meaning online becomes an even bigger creep fest as they would want to blend in.

Oh, I don’t know, I think there’s every chance that folk who talk about doing their laundry on FB are genuinely boring! :smiley:

I agree. Fb is a consuming site but then again its the only way i can communicate with some of my friends back home. However i tsnd to get sucked into it for an hour at a time. Thankfully my phone is off and my grandparents are usually on the computer.

There is this interesting cellphone app called Whisper. It is pretty ok.

The internet is what you make it. If you don’t like drama and vapidity on FB, block or unfriend those responsible for it. I’ve been on FB almost since the beginning. I’ve unfriended more people than I currently have as friends. I ignore friend requests from people I don’t know who are simply sending a friend request because I’m a mutual friend of someone they know. I understand some people use it as some kind of popularity contest, i.e., look at me!!! 10,000 friends!!! And I actually know 15 of them IRL!!! I use FB mostly to send links and such to friends that I think might find it interesting. Total time on FB everyday is probably ~15 mins. FB has also been a great way for me to reconnect with some people I lost track of years ago. Some of them were subsequently unfriended because I remembered why I lost track of them, lol. I guess my point is, you can either make it a useful tool, or you can let it have a negative impact on you. I choose to make teh internets a useful tool.

[quote=“Lilithflower, post:1, topic:8237”]I resisted social media for as long as I could. I might have logged in twice a year, to write a fan letter. Then I moved from Australia to New Zealand and found myself socially isolated. Some of my old friends from Oz made contact with me via FB, it made me feel less lonely.
I soon found that my initial dislike of social media was well founded.
I don’t understand why people want to share so much mundane crap with the whole damn world! I enjoy the discussions I have with like minded people on things like music, but I really don’t care who has just done their washing or particularly want to hear about a feud that has nothing to do with me! I’ve also been around for long enough to know, that if you’re not a celebrity, no one’s that interested in what you have to say anyway, even if you think it’s something interesting. That is why I put very little original content on there, unless I really want some feedback.
Anyhow, a week ago, I’m in an aeroplane, about to take off and just as I switch my phone to flight mode, I see an altert for a FB comment. I’m about to quickly switch back and read it, when I have Lucifer in my ear saying, “Take a 3 day break from social media, effective immediately.” I didn’t argue, because it’s not as though I’m addicted, but I did ask why it was necessary. He told me I would understand in good time. I realised that certain people on FB had been making me angry far more than they should have been and that I was actually being rather judgemental. I understand much better why so many in the occult community are withdrawing from social media. It is an absolute celebration of the mundane! Wallowing in that stuff is anything but conducive to a magickal mindset!
It is great to be able to connect with like minded folk, such as yourselves and I’m not about to delete any real life friends, just because they over-share, but I am grateful for the 3 day break and what I learned from it.[/quote] that’s interesting. I’ve heard of Lucifer discussing social media with other people. What a crazy world we live in…

Facebook is fucking creepy, is my honest opinion, if you run something like Ghostery you’ll see how many totally unrelated pages it tries to track you across, and while that’s all pretty yawnworthy, everything is alive in some way, so what kind of soul would such a thing develop?

Not a very nice one, is my opinion based on doing a little online scrying and stuff.

My interest in social media begins and ends at a very few forums which, apart from this one, I often unplug from for months at a time to avoid getting too drawn in. JMO. :slight_smile:

hehehe and on top of all that, no one is REALLY interested in anyone.

i know people who anxiously hide their online identities in fear of being stalked, either by creeps or the government… but the thing is… ain’t no body giving two shits about you.

you can just do what the hell you want with yourself… so i do black magick and sacrifice myself (TIME) to the Gods… and it is good.

everybody wants to use someone. this is canibalistic canceroid human vampirism. this is the disease of this earth at this time of our bad development as a species.

and all those disasociated firms and companies sucking on the cattle-human energy… fuck them.

they can consume you ONLY IF YOU CONSUME (that which they offer)

STOP CONSUMING, AND YOU GO INVISIBLE.

PUF! just like that

you are not that interesting, as an individual. just stop emitting. and you’ll stop being a victim.

these predators will not chase you. there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

you can easily dance around them, uninterested in their consumations. if you truly value freedom, that is.

BLACK MAGICK HUG!

[quote=“bahamuthat, post:16, topic:8237”]hehehe and on top of all that, no one is REALLY interested in anyone.

i know people who anxiously hide their online identities in fear of being stalked, either by creeps or the government… but the thing is… ain’t no body giving two shits about you.

you can just do what the hell you want with yourself… so i do black magick and sacrifice myself (TIME) to the Gods… and it is good.

everybody wants to use someone. this is canibalistic canceroid human vampirism. this is the disease of this earth at this time of our bad development as a species.

and all those disasociated firms and companies sucking on the cattle-human energy… fuck them.

they can consume you ONLY IF YOU CONSUME (that which they offer)

STOP CONSUMING, AND YOU GO INVISIBLE.

PUF! just like that

you are not that interesting, as an individual. just stop emitting. and you’ll stop being a victim.

these predators will not chase you. there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

you can easily dance around them, uninterested in their consumations. if you truly value freedom, that is.

BLACK MAGICK HUG![/quote]

Lol good point. Higher level Vampirism is just accepting Life as it is, the feeding nature of not just you, but how the other person you feed off is feeding off you. Most peopld do not see that though.

Relax, 'twas but a self-mocking reference to/play upon this famous meme:

Also, a reference to the fact that no-one online these days seems able to concede the good faith and integrity of anyone with whom they disagree - it always has to be a tear-down job, mocking them as possessing uncommonly extreme views, or having major problems with functioning in life.

This has exploded on social media like Facebook & Twitter, probably because we no more need to have the social and political beliefs of random acquaintances shoved in our faces 24/7, any more than we need an ongoing presentation of their toilet habits and body hair.

A little self-selected distance makes it much easier to be tolerant of one other’s peculiarities… :slight_smile: