So, about jenglots?

So, I understand somewhat how they work but what are they really? talismans with spirits trapped wtihin them? Just ordinary talismans that don´t have spirits trapped within them? What´s the deal?

2 Likes

Jenglots: Vamperism with a twist. I have always been fascinated with the bizarre and occult. The Jenglot (Indonesian) is one of the most strange tales of folk magic I have encountered.

The Jenglot average about a foot in length and the small mummified dolls feature long black hair, and long fingernails and fangs. The Jenglot work as a talisman doll with magic powers to bring good luck to the owner. Similar in concept to a voodoo doll but instead sending negative energy to others it works in reverse with good luck to the owner of the doll.

The myth of the Jenglot is that they are the shrunken body of someone who died and was rejected by the earth after burial and supposedly have supernatural powers and it must be fed blood or bad tidings or bad luck will happen to the owner of the Jenglot. If the blood-feeding ritual is maintained, the Jenglot will provide immunity to its owner from illness and bring good fortune.

Some claim only one drop of blood is needed to feed it, it is not necessary to put blood in the Jenglot’s mouth to feed, you are supposed to put blood into a container near the Jenglot and it absorbs the blood after each ritual.

1 Like

So they can never really be created then, just formed through coincidense?

1 Like

No, the myth of the Jenglot being shrunken mummified bodies of the deceased is unfounded, they are crafted dolls some have the persons hair and pieces of clothing from the person emplaced on the doll to bring them good fortune after a dedication ritual is performed. Some of the dolls are placed in coffins and are hand crafted usually by the owner.

1 Like

Alright, that is starting to seem more understandable. So, they become so called jenglots after the dedication ritual? But in that case it wouldn´t make any sense to pass around jenglots, especially since they could have anybodys hair in it. Or even sell them. that is confusing to say the least, but I guess that´s because I tend to look at details more.

1 Like

@H.L.Daniel you’re right. It all depends on the intent of the user or person who makes the dolls. Usually the local Shaman creates the Jenglot for various and different purposes. This is similar to African folk magic where the local Shaman creates charms to include love beads that are blessed beads and “shruken heads”.

The African shruken heads used in various folk ritusls aren’t actually human remains that have been demonized but small monkey skulls that have been made into charms for various rituals and purposes not human skulls that have been shrunk down.

1 Like

do they usually bind the spirit into the jenglot?

1 Like

as my experience. there are 2 things, 1 its real. 2 its a fake.

when its real it can do anything what you want, include killing someone, or torture them.
yeah somekind of voodoo dolls i think, but the different is jenglot can move it self(legend says).

Yes, the shaman will bind the figure to whatever purpose they have created the vessel or figure to perform. Later rituals are up to the owner/user who will feed it blood to continue the casting to ward illness or good fortune.

1 Like

Alright, seems usefull. People could literally create their own versions of it easily

1 Like

Yes. In most cases that i have read about people have the figure blessed after being crafted as a personal talisman for there home where it is placed in a sacred place as a ward to prevent illness or good luck to the owner.

Nice, the process kinda reminds me of a little ``experiements´´ that I had going on a while ago. It had something to do with the possibilities of possesssions on objects or even bigger objects such as big statues. Can´t say much more, Sworn to secrecy by lilith.

1 Like

Interesting. No attached objects are an entirely different subject. The Jenglot are not usually abandoned items left randomly around but held in sacred locations usually only accessible by the owner of the figure in there home who can maintain the Jenglot and casting for whatever there purpose.

true, from what I´ve gathered anyways about it is that they are really easy to create from the get go if you know the ``formula´´ and you have craftmanship. From what I know from projects like that, even little craftmanship works. Hell, the most simple is working with clay. After that you could just surround such a object with consecrated powder and you are set. All working with dolls(voudon workings are excluded) are very similiar I see. Same principle really. the connection to spiritual is the physical. Hope that made any sense. I had a consept in my mind but I didn´t know how to put it to words.

1 Like

You are spot on! Many of the figures are clay or cloth depending on the materials on hand. I am glad my info helped. I was wondering when all those anthropology classes would come in handy… Ha, ha. :grinning:

yeah, no problemos. I personally do it through clay. I have no idea how they do it with cloth. It seems like cloth is pretty flimsy compared to clay. Of course the clay does also break easier but still. it sturdier. A figure made of animal bones actually sounds nice at this point of time.

1 Like

Im suprised people outside Indo knows about jenglot wow

2 Likes

Animal bones sounds powerful. Cloth is employed by many as a cheap, easy plyable method and simply stuffed with other materials to create the figure, plaster has been employed and simply molded into a skeletal figure or other poppet icon depending on the ritual.

Once completed the figure was ususlly placed in a coffin or crib or other symbolic housing, although the figure was fragile it was not meant to be handled or carried but placed in a specific stationary spot in the home for use and worship.

Cloth is pliable, unbreakable and easy to fashion into a “dolly”.
You make the dolly, put in anything you require ie hair, nails, clothing etc and sew it up.
Can also be made out of the clothing of someone you’re working on.

1 Like

Yeah, simplest bones to use are game animals these days. You know, hunting and all. Especially if you also summon the spirit of the animal into the working. Yeah, although I think that many underestimate the power of a doll working. Everything is so ritual and spell centralised that everybody forgets the the craftmanship. They ever use blood in these kinds of jenglot?I suppose cloth just seems so flimsy if you have more experience with clay. But of course everybody could just create the skeletal frame from clay and put cloth on it.

1 Like