Smile at Fear: Awakening the True Heart of Bravery

I would suggest this book is highly recommended along with your others amongst studying as a practicing mage. I can only see how it would benefit those who truly are seeking oneness in their quest of spiritual guidance.

http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Fear-Awakening-Heart-Bravery/dp/1590308859/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1438815891&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=buddhism+fear

Here is an excerpt

We could into further details later, but first we should discuss the fundamental understading of fear and fearlessness.One of the main obstacles to fearlessness is the habitual patterns that allow us to deceive ourselves. Ordinarily, we dont let ourselves experience ourselves fully. That is to say, we have a fear of facing ourselves. Experiencing the innermost core of their existence is embarrassing to alot of people. Many people try to find a spiritual path where they do not have to face themselves but where they can still liberate themselves --- liberate themselves from themselves, in fact. In truth, that is impossible. We cannot do that. We have to be honest with ourselves. We have to see our gut, our real shit, our most undesiable parts. We have to see that. That is the foundation of warriorship and the basis of conquering fear. We have to face our fear; we have to look at it, study it, work with it, and practice meditation with it.

We also have to give up the notion of a divine savior, which has nothing to do with what religion we belong to, but refers to the idea of someone or something who will save without our having to go through any pain. In fact, giving up that kind of false hope is the first step. We have to be with ourselves. We have to be real people. There is no way of beating around the bush, hoping for the best. If you are really interested in working with yourself, you cant lead that kind of double life, adopting ideas, techniques, and concepts of all kinds, simply in order to get away from yourself. That is what we call spiritual materialism: hoping that you can have a nice sleep, under anesthetics and by the time you awaken, everything will be sewn up. Everything will be healed. In that case, you do not have to through any pain or problems.

https://books.google.com/books?id=8Bzwz8YCnFQC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=Smile+at+Fear:+Awakening+the+True+Heart+of+Bravery+pdf&source=bl&ots=_cm09REmxE&sig=3IL2KLz6LFOIjrXvcNs7lT5SqVU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBWoVChMI-Kuzg-uZxwIVglCICh1NEgIj#v=onepage&q=Smile%20at%20Fear%3A%20Awakening%20the%20True%20Heart%20of%20Bravery%20pdf&f=false

Any comments or advice would be invaluably encouraged.

It is a simple truth that while fear may be a healthy asset in the exercise of self preservation, it also is the hand that holds the human species back.

I have come to understand that It is one thing to be startled, which happens on occasion in ritual, but another to be held in place by fear. Diligent and ernest Black Sorcerers cannot afford the luxury of fear.

Fear will never allow you to perform that next daunting and untried ritual… and will certainly keep that power just beyond your reach.

Trungpa rocks. He was one of the most well insighted authors i have ever read. showed me how I could maintain my warrior status while learning more practical methods of restraining forces and onsloughts meant to distress or destroy me. Hate it when people like him are taken from the planet too early

[quote=“Sky, post:1, topic:5950”]I would suggest this book is highly recommended along with your others amongst studying as a practicing mage. I can only see how it would benefit those who truly are seeking oneness in their quest of spiritual guidance.

http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Fear-Awakening-Heart-Bravery/dp/1590308859/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1438815891&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=buddhism+fear

Here is an excerpt

We could into further details later, but first we should discuss the fundamental understading of fear and fearlessness.One of the main obstacles to fearlessness is the habitual patterns that allow us to deceive ourselves. Ordinarily, we dont let ourselves experience ourselves fully. That is to say, we have a fear of facing ourselves. Experiencing the innermost core of their existence is embarrassing to alot of people. Many people try to find a spiritual path where they do not have to face themselves but where they can still liberate themselves --- liberate themselves from themselves, in fact. In truth, that is impossible. We cannot do that. We have to be honest with ourselves. We have to see our gut, our real shit, our most undesiable parts. We have to see that. That is the foundation of warriorship and the basis of conquering fear. We have to face our fear; we have to look at it, study it, work with it, and practice meditation with it.

We also have to give up the notion of a divine savior, which has nothing to do with what religion we belong to, but refers to the idea of someone or something who will save without our having to go through any pain. In fact, giving up that kind of false hope is the first step. We have to be with ourselves. We have to be real people. There is no way of beating around the bush, hoping for the best. If you are really interested in working with yourself, you cant lead that kind of double life, adopting ideas, techniques, and concepts of all kinds, simply in order to get away from yourself. That is what we call spiritual materialism: hoping that you can have a nice sleep, under anesthetics and by the time you awaken, everything will be sewn up. Everything will be healed. In that case, you do not have to through any pain or problems.

https://books.google.com/books?id=8Bzwz8YCnFQC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=Smile+at+Fear:+Awakening+the+True+Heart+of+Bravery+pdf&source=bl&ots=_cm09REmxE&sig=3IL2KLz6LFOIjrXvcNs7lT5SqVU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBWoVChMI-Kuzg-uZxwIVglCICh1NEgIj#v=onepage&q=Smile%20at%20Fear%3A%20Awakening%20the%20True%20Heart%20of%20Bravery%20pdf&f=false

Any comments or advice would be invaluably encouraged.[/quote]

Thanks for both your responses. I am completely new to this craft at all. Everywhere you look for information you come to “Heaven”, “Hell”, “God”, “Satan”, and I believe it is much more personal than that. Similarly black vs white everywhere you look for information says black is for the “evil” magician. I believe TRUE evil is ignorance, which is another Buddhist teaching, however I would not agree with being someone that wanted to bring destruction to the planet unless it was for the greater good which I guess is possible, I am not of that mind currently. Because of E.A., however, I advanced my knowledge so much more quickly and I see the purpose of black magic, without having to go through so much confusion as countless have before me.

[quote=“RL, post:2, topic:5950”]It is a simple truth that while fear may be a healthy asset in the exercise of self preservation, it also is the hand that holds the human species back.

I have come to understand that It is one thing to be startled, which happens on occasion in ritual, but another to be held in place by fear. Diligent and ernest Black Sorcerers cannot afford the luxury of fear.

Fear will never allow you to perform that next daunting and untried ritual… and will certainly keep that power just beyond your reach.[/quote]

Since I am still learning I must reply feeling as though there is always some place in time we will come across a challenge that brings us the wall of negativity - hatred, being fear. Although now that I write it out I see that with powers of those you here are able to manifest it appears that fear is in the eye of the beholder, however, it comes right back to me believing we must all face the spirit when that time arrives. That is the only reason I posted this book. To join forces with fear. Fear is not the enemy so we should not treat him/her as such. Personal fear is a lack of knowledge and I believe this book holds a very good method for witholding it.

2 Likes