Sleep Deprivation,T/G Sync & Evocations

Sleep deprivation, is a very old method of entering trance. It’s recommended you shoot for three to four days without sleep, but I’ve never been able to get beyond 48 hours. Sleep deprivation has been used together with fasting to great effect historically, though I’ve never tried the two together.

4 Likes

When u fast can u drink water?

Ive had to do 3 day fasts at my church. They wouldnt even let you drink water

Yes, most people drink water when they fast, since you cannot go more than 4 days without it or you die. By bringing dehydration into it, you enter trance faster, but can cause damage to your kidneys and other organs. It is best not to be physically active when doing so, as you will accelerate the dehydration and decrease the amount of time you can sustain it without damage.

2 Likes

It’s the opposite for me…

When I’m refreshed its simple to enter the T/G sync & my evocations become more ‘alive’.

However, when I’m sleep deprived, I struggle to enter the T/G sync & maintain focus during the evocation.

It’s probably different for everyone but that’s how it is for me. I like to go in fresh.

Seinfeld - Frank and Estelle Costanza at dinner party

-----What does work for me is regular exercise. You will notice a huge difference in being able to enter these states if you hit the gym regularly.

Gnosis, I am the same as you. The more I excerciss and the better slept, the easier is for me to shut off mind. I need to eat well, sleep well, feel good and than it works. Otherwise or I am to nervous, or I am fighting with myself how third I am and that I want to sleep.
But, yes, do what works for you, we are all different here.

This is true

Do it all the time

I did a few initiatory-type things in the past that involved about 48 hours’s sleep dep, and they did seem to permanently break through some barriers.

Haven’t needed to do the same since, although for various reasons I sometimes end up being awake for that long anyway.

3 Likes

Wow 3 to 4 days with no sleep? I can’t go 18 hours and add not eating into the mix, no way. Do u build up to those times or just go for it right off the bat?

Pretty much, with sleep deprivation, you just try to stay up as long as you can, but the trick is to control the state. Voices and visual phenomena are said to start after three days but it really all depends on your tolerance.

1 Like

i have done the 3 days and nights with no food no water and you go in and out of state all the time on the 3rd day, but TIRED!

you can get the same result from being in a sensory deprivation tank in about 1 or 2 hours.

I was trying to stay awake all night since I was about 8, I somehow thought there’d be SOMETHING revealed or whatever, in the darkness and the silence when everyone else chooses to shut their minds down: same drives back then that make me push limits now - later, I lied to my family to pull all-nighters (“I’m poorly! I can’t sleep!”), and crept into my parent’s room to switch their alarm clock off sometimes, when they started work at 12pm and needed to be up to get me to the brainwashing centres aka “school” at 7am…

Me and time and the idea that I MUST sleep (or must wake up and face the gaudy day) have always been uneasy compadres, I fully hate the concept of going to bed at a set time each night and waking at a set time in the monring - what wonders would I miss?

What dark glory of moonsets, silence, and the newborn scents of the jasmine, tobacco and other night-flowering plants would be denied me, IF I was to sleep every night without exception, obediant in the straight-jacket of pyjamas and fear, long before the nights’ deep mysteries, of air cleansed and rendered gelid and wonderful by the dreams of the majority, were to unfold?

Have you ever walked down a suburban street at 2am, knowing that the majority are writhing and struggling in their own subconscious, while the precious few keep the watch, following their own labyrinthine paths of obsession, vigilance, and passion?

You see a light on in the bedroom of a house, and you know that the chances that person has at least something in common with you - are they reading a book they can’t put down, starting a business that will be a household name soon, or are they worshipping some twisted desire? - are high, and that people like you who are habitually off-the-clock are probably a special cadre of nutcases. And that’s fine - because when you walk the streets at 2am, 3am, you get to see that you’re really NOT alone.

It’s a truly amazing thing - all the small hours, right into dawn, deep into winter when you catch the occasional eejit going for a run, and know he’ll have packed it in next time it rains!

Night in any town or city is wonderful: that pellucid darkness with a smash of neon, and the garnish of being “other” and yet still not entirely alone, as the police, the medics, the people who REALLY see life in all its forms (even the convenience store clerks) are out there as well, variously rejoicing or groaning under their own choices.

Pure magick. :wink:

Okay… ignoring for a moment that I seem to be channelling Byron - and badly - the best way to “do” sleep dep is to break your body-clock, and mess with everything by staying awake doing cool stuff as long as possible (reading, internetting, whatever) and kill the paradigm that we have to sleep when the sun clears out to feed the plants elsewhere.

I broke mine by listening to the radio into the wee small hours, and then obsessing about being ready for the dawn, because at the time my primary ambition was to go back in time somehow and be a priestess of Ra, ideally also married to him, and all that stuff - you might be starting later, but don’t let that stop you - it’s not where you are at, it’s where you’re GOING!

There are hazards for not keeping a regular day-night cycle that you need to be aware of, google “shift worker health problems” etc., but if you’ve never felt the kiss of being wide awake and frisky at 4am, after 36 hours awake, nor fallen into blissful greedy sleep at 7am as your neighbours leave for another day of having their souls wrung out of them…

Or, best of all, woken up for the day, slicked in sweat at 8pm on a summer’s evening, enjoyed some sex (with precious loved ones, or solo, and extravagant) and then eaten lunch as the clock chimes midnight, your fingers still stinking of sex… damnit, Byron, get outta my brain! … but anyway yes pushing your existing bodyclock is a place to start, but it’s not so easy to end, if you should ever wish to do so… :wink:

5 Likes

That was beautiful. And I love Lord Byron!

When it comes to sleep deprivation, being active in some way will serve you well. I have found, with myself, that passive activities that allow you to zone out, like cruising the internet, or watching television, will cause you to fall asleep where you are. Once, when I hit the 48 hour mark, I fell asleep at work (I was working as a proofreader for online courses for my local university) and nearly fell off my chair, because staring at a computer screen didn’t engage me enough to keep me awake.

when i first learned autogenic training a decade ago i used to go sometimes 2 or 3 days without sleeping and use the autogenic trancework to simulate rest via deep inductions. i’d always feel the tiredness in my legs but that gives you a lightheaded trance you might find useful, and still keeps you alert. at the time i wasn’t doing magick so i don’t know how useful it would be to getting close to evocation but it’s great for training your trances and it relaxes you in an unusual way to work like that.

1 Like

Lady Eva, this is absolutely brilliant writing. Beautiful, and persuasive. You are truly gifted with your words.

I was trying to stay awake all night since I was about 8, I somehow thought there’d be SOMETHING revealed or whatever, in the darkness and the silence when everyone else chooses to shut their minds down: same drives back then that make me push limits now - later, I lied to my family to pull all-nighters (“I’m poorly! I can’t sleep!”), and crept into my parent’s room to switch their alarm clock off sometimes, when they started work at 12pm and needed to be up to get me to the brainwashing centres aka “school” at 7am…

Me and time and the idea that I MUST sleep (or must wake up and face the gaudy day) have always been uneasy compadres, I fully hate the concept of going to bed at a set time each night and waking at a set time in the monring - what wonders would I miss?

What dark glory of moonsets, silence, and the newborn scents of the jasmine, tobacco and other night-flowering plants would be denied me, IF I was to sleep every night without exception, obediant in the straight-jacket of pyjamas and fear, long before the nights’ deep mysteries, of air cleansed and rendered gelid and wonderful by the dreams of the majority, were to unfold?

Have you ever walked down a suburban street at 2am, knowing that the majority are writhing and struggling in their own subconscious, while the precious few keep the watch, following their own labyrinthine paths of obsession, vigilance, and passion?

You see a light on in the bedroom of a house, and you know that the chances that person has at least something in common with you - are they reading a book they can’t put down, starting a business that will be a household name soon, or are they worshipping some twisted desire? - are high, and that people like you who are habitually off-the-clock are probably a special cadre of nutcases. And that’s fine - because when you walk the streets at 2am, 3am, you get to see that you’re really NOT alone.

It’s a truly amazing thing - all the small hours, right into dawn, deep into winter when you catch the occasional eejit going for a run, and know he’ll have packed it in next time it rains!

Night in any town or city is wonderful: that pellucid darkness with a smash of neon, and the garnish of being “other” and yet still not entirely alone, as the police, the medics, the people who REALLY see life in all its forms (even the convenience store clerks) are out there as well, variously rejoicing or groaning under their own choices.

Pure magick. :wink:

Okay… ignoring for a moment that I seem to be channelling Byron - and badly - the best way to “do” sleep dep is to break your body-clock, and mess with everything by staying awake doing cool stuff as long as possible (reading, internetting, whatever) and kill the paradigm that we have to sleep when the sun clears out to feed the plants elsewhere.

I broke mine by listening to the radio into the wee small hours, and then obsessing about being ready for the dawn, because at the time my primary ambition was to go back in time somehow and be a priestess of Ra, ideally also married to him, and all that stuff - you might be starting later, but don’t let that stop you - it’s not where you are at, it’s where you’re GOING!

There are hazards for not keeping a regular day-night cycle that you need to be aware of, google “shift worker health problems” etc., but if you’ve never felt the kiss of being wide awake and frisky at 4am, after 36 hours awake, nor fallen into blissful greedy sleep at 7am as your neighbours leave for another day of having their souls wrung out of them…

Or, best of all, woken up for the day, slicked in sweat at 8pm on a summer’s evening, enjoyed some sex (with precious loved ones, or solo, and extravagant) and then eaten lunch as the clock chimes midnight, your fingers still stinking of sex… damnit, Byron, get outta my brain! … but anyway yes pushing your existing bodyclock is a place to start, but it’s not so easy to end, if you should ever wish to do so… :wink:

[/quote]

The last few days, and tomorrow, I’ve had to be awake, in the daytime, surrendering to some kind of “normalifying” imperative so deeply rapeful of my DNA and my natural loves, that I could happily kill.

But I’ll just post some poetry, and attempt to deal…

She Walks in Beauty
By Lord Byron (George Gordon)

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express,
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

~~

:heart:

1 Like

Oh Lord Byron, not even women in mourning are safe from you.

:smiley:

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:14, topic:3486”]What dark glory of moonsets, silence, and the newborn scents of the jasmine, tobacco and other night-flowering plants would be denied me, IF I was to sleep every night without exception, obediant in the straight-jacket of pyjamas and fear, long before the nights’ deep mysteries, of air cleansed and rendered gelid and wonderful by the dreams of the majority, were to unfold?

Have you ever walked down a suburban street at 2am, knowing that the majority are writhing and struggling in their own subconscious, while the precious few keep the watch, following their own labyrinthine paths of obsession, vigilance, and passion?[/quote]

Yes it is Magick. Walking alone in New Orleans at 2 AM, a city filled with spirits, danger and darkness, and finding my feet leading me to a cemetery in the 9th ward - unforgettable. Who could even think of sleeping at times like these?

After 48 hours I start seeing static, things move in the corncer of my eye, begins hard to tell what noise is real , love it though. I don’t know if iv reached TGS, I have blacked out in meditation but can see how it would make it easier as sleep deprevation makes me really sensative to my surroundings.

1 Like