Sigil retirement, again

howdy.

i know this has been discussed before, but i bring a new question to the issue of retiring sigils.

EA has said many times in his writings and his posts on the BALG forum that, by leaving a charged sigil intact, it acts as a gateway for the uncontrolled flow of energy, thus causing disruption to one’s life. i have not personally experienced this to my knowledge, but after having performed the lake of fire ritual, i have noticed that the sigils are still charged and extremely energetic.

they seem to resonate with the energy signature of the specific daemon, although i cannot see how this is entirely a bad thing. in my limited experience, i would have thought that re-using a charged sigil would strengthen the link and cause it to act as a talisman of sorts (much like engraving a daemon’s sigil in a stone or a piece of metal, as detailed in the lemegeton).

could anyone shed some light (from experience) on the specific issues of not retiring (i.e, burning) a sigil after it has been used? how does the energy passing through it manifest in daily life, and how can i tell if the sigil itself is responsible for unfortunate occurrences?

alternatively, could the energy be contained by keeping it in a silk container as is done with tarot cards, seeing as silk is a psychic insulator?

any thoughts and, particularly, specific explanations of the mechanisms and/or consequences of the above would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards, james.

1 Like

Imagine not banishing, but think of it as way more intense since it’s like leaving an open door to a strange plane of reality, eventually something you don’t know will come around.

If your goal is complete you should burn the sigil, because it is an open door into your life.

Here’s a list of things that can happen, but are not guaranteed

1. meeting spirits you didn’t want to see
  2. Prolonged mental stress
  3. Unexpected/unwelcome occurrences, either amplified by the open sigil, or created by it’s presence.
  4. increased danger with other sigils you open (it’s not good to keep opening and opening sigils, and in some circumstances can drive you insane).

I have a friend who never banished, and in his house I saw spirits manifest themselves on his webcam, they literally formed a mist then assumed form and walked around. Bright flashes of light and orbs passing by were common place during webchats. His residence has literally become inhabited by spirits, because of the build up of all of these ritual energies. The occult related incidents in his house were beyond crazy, and if 80 pound locked containers flew up in the air, and emptied themselves out on the ground, it had become so mundane it didn’t scare anyone except the people who’d come over and witness such an event who weren’t used to it.

Sigil opening is a great form of magick, but it does have risks. E.A. Has wrote about this in one his books, where an ambitious student of his decided to open 5 sigils in a row. When E.A. saw him not even 24 hours after attempting this, he was near catatonic, like a zombie staring off into space, sitting in the same place since he conducted the ritual. At that point, it was already too late, and this individual has never practiced magick again.

So just remember there are some guide lines and although they aren’t always drawn out in the sand, sometimes it’s best not to go looking for the limits of the art personally.

Best of Luck
-Frater Apotheosis

1 Like

good points. i’ve recently wrapped some sigils up in silk, and it has chqnged the mood of my house a great deal. funnily enough, i didn’t even realise that i felt as though i were being “watched” by these sigils. i think i’ll retire them properly later tonight.

kind regards, james.

[quote=“Frater Apotheosis, post:2, topic:810”]If your goal is complete you should burn the sigil, because it is an open door into your life.

3. Unexpected/unwelcome occurrences, either amplified by the open sigil, or created by it’s presence.
  4. increased danger with other sigils you open (it’s not good to keep opening and opening sigils, and in some circumstances can drive you insane).[/quote]

Can I ask, is this the same for any sigil, whether demonic or angelic? So far, I’ve burnt mine, but I think from what I’ve read, it should be ok to have one long term sigil plus maximum 2 more short term sigils, and of course check they don’t conflict?

1 Like

Depends on the use for the sigil. If its a sigil to be used over again for the same purpose, then I wouldake them more permanent, but if it is made for a goal, I would make them on paper so they can be burnt once the goal has been achieved. Example: the sigils for the four Gatekeepers should be made out of a more permanent material if you are going to evoke them each time you cast a circle; but if you call on one of them for a specific task (even if you already have permanent sigils for their corners, they serve a different purpose when evoked to the elemental corners), make a separate sigil out of paper so it can be burnt once the task has been completed. Or if you have an ongoing goal, make a more permeant sigil, and any other short term tasks out of a burnable material. Not sure about how many you can have open at any given time, I’ve never had many reasons to have more than two open at a time for short term, but I would keep it to a minimum. As far as permanent sigils, they are usually used for ascent or continual growth; as long as they don’t conflict, I wouldn’t worry about the number of them.

1 Like

Thanks!

[quote=“Kyra, post:4, topic:810”][quote=“Frater Apotheosis, post:2, topic:810”]If your goal is complete you should burn the sigil, because it is an open door into your life.

4. increased danger with other sigils you open (it’s not good to keep opening and opening sigils, and in some circumstances can drive you insane).[/quote]

Can I ask, is this the same for any sigil, whether demonic or angelic? So far, I’ve burnt mine, but I think from what I’ve read, it should be ok to have one long term sigil plus maximum 2 more short term sigils, and of course check they don’t conflict?[/quote]

A quick note is try not to make long term goals in over 6 months time, anything beyond that is pretty far into the future, and could probably require other magickal action to help the desired result occur.

I have felt like there are some angels that I don’t enjoy working with, and sometimes it’s the greatest release to burn their sigils. I don’t say that lightly, because I’ve already approached several of the grand demons/spirits in the KOF and I got close enough to one, that I did repeated workings, even when the spirit possessed me I felt very at peace with it’s presence within and without me. After which I sadly relented on burning the sigil, only because of the circumstances it had on the house and my partner… Now, I will go into depth on that ritual more soon in another post I’m preparing.

But the bottom line is, you have to burn them eventually, otherwise you’re going to notice all kinds of strange effects. Having a magickal talisman, or a power item is one thing, but having a straight up sigil for a particular ritual(s) you need to burn it eventually.

There will come a point where retiring sigils is bullshit without you doing a banishing/cleansing ritual along with it, and the spiritual phenomenon will continue to get worse and worse until you are forced to do it, or you go insane…more or less. It really depends on the amount of spirits you contact, and the amount of magick you do. And don’t forget, if you didn’t cleanse and consecrate your ritual area FIRST, you’re in for more, especially if you do it outdoors.

Just the act of opening a sigil in a public area is enough to draw the presence of enough incredibly bizarre spirits who might be roaming around to you. When working with a powerful entity on my occult faculties strange results happened, I did this in a public space where I determined I could get away with it. I wanted to see just what roamed the skies But during this ritual I felt presences around me, many presences, of many kinds, I felt I was being watched and there were many beings around me. And as soon as I looked up into the air, I saw a host of strange spirits watching beyond the visual range, as well as some that were physically close by that I could feel that didn’t want to be seen. The phenomenon is incredibly noticeable to creatures that exist outside our perception, but this is also dangerous depending on what’s passing by, and where you’re doing it. I am certain a lot of different creatures saw me, including some flying creature with tentacles that I like to call the flying spaghetti monster. They took note of me, and REFUSED to leave my presence and stop following me until I banished them.

The best way I can describe it so far, is to say that there’s a strange event that happens really deep inside your mind, and our perception of reality creates reality. These rituals profoundly alter our conscious awareness and our ability to perceive the world, and to therefore to unconsciously construct it wherever we look. We see the world through a looking glass, and each time we do ritual we alter it. But as above so below, and as within so without. The places I’ve had ritual seem to be incredibly warped. The reason I say it’s “warped” is because in my experience to get something to manifest physically, alters the area on which it was done. It alters the fabric of reality, like space and time but possibly even farther outside our own awareness. The area of ritual can permanently alter the looking glass, and psychically sensitive people can pick up on that and are prone to having spiritual experiences in these areas.

I’ve played around with this a little bit, sigil magick has some very interesting properties, and opening a sigil isn’t just a simple task anymore for me. Where I open it, why I open it, why or why not I should call particular spirits for it, and whom can I open it around are all questions I ask. My cats used to go crazy when I’d open up sigils, they were very aware of it happening all the time. I used to need to barricade myself in a room, but eventually they just got mellow to the point where I could do it without disrupting their sleep if I really tried. One night I sat down next to one of my sleeping cats and did an opening. I was unaware I was being watched until my gaze was removed from the sigil, and I saw a pair of the most shocked feline eyes I’ve ever seen sitting next to me digging deep into my own eyes. My cats treat me very differently now, but I also have to consider that the inhabitants of the spiritual realm who come around might disturb them as they are more aware of the spiritual realm than the vast majority of humans.

P.S.

Plus, once you use sigil magick or any other type of magick where you call on a spiritual presence, that presence is BOUND TO YOU FOREVER, and people are shocked to learn this, but…As their spiritual awareness increases, they often meet the entities they summoned in past lives, that have stood aware for hundreds or thousands of years waiting to be called again. Sure you can banish, but is your banishing designed to remove eternal bonds? So take care what you call on. It’ll be around forever, and unlike your room mate, it doesn’t get bored and leave ever. The only thing that changes, is your ability to see and feel it’s presence.

Either way, that’s my two cents.

Best of Luck,
-Frater Apotheosis

Frater, thank you for sharing your insights and experiences.