Self-Metta meditation

Metta means Love, in the Buddhist tradition & there are many Metta meditations. This one has helped me become more loving towards myself, & thus others. This in turn has attracted a lot of people to me. For when you’re a person who loves oneself & the world of people around you, others will be drawn to that, to you, & want what you’ve got. In this case, there is no need for spells, but that doesn’t mean that the magic it breeds is any less real.

A Metta Practice

• Close your eyes, grounding yourself on your seat. Make sure you are fully supported and your feet are placed firmly on the ground.
  • Become aware of the breath permeating your body. Imagine it to be a spray clearing the toxins from your heart.
  • After a minute try to visualize looking back at yourself, or see yourself in a beautiful place that you enjoy. Or just silently call your name. Remember to breathe.
  • After another minute say to yourself, “May I be happy,” then breathe and acknowledge how this feels. Then say, “May I be well,” then breathe and acknowledge how this feels. Then say, “May I be kind toward my suffering,” then breathe.
  • Allow yourself to sit in stillness with whatever arises. After a few minutes say, “May I cultivate more kindness within my heart. May I cultivate more peace within my heart. May I continue to develop and grow.”
  • Continue to recite these phrases, leaving a minute or two between each, staying connected with yourself all the time.
  • After ten minutes bring the practice to an end.

If you practice this weekly it will begin to transform your heart. If you do it daily it will bring about positive change in your life.

If our hearts are full of love and kindness for ourselves, there is little room for anger. Such mental states might arise, but love is the cleansing water that puts out the flames of anger.

4 Likes