Sage?

I met a weird guy in a botanica yesterday with my godfather. He said that he works with the jin. He said when evokeing spurits or demons if u have sage burning no spirit that wants to do u harm can manifest. Is he full of shit???

Yes.

Burning sage is commonly used as a protective device. It is useful to help people with little experience to give them a way to feel safe and feel like they can do something to protect themselves. In this way it does protect people by firming up their belief structures. Also since it is so commonly used for this it does have a kind of Egregoric protective quality to it.

Will it protect against ANY spirit? My opinion is, not one that is stronger than the belief of the person burning the sage.

I remember a native American guy who DID know his stuff telling me that one form of sage (I can’t remember whether it was the bush kind, or the leaves, because they’re different species) is actually used traditionally to draw spirits in, not to ban them or protect a space.

Typically most right-handers will tell you that white mountain sage is great for banishing and all things related.

I use it mainly for evocation, as im not a fan of resins. Does this mean its bullshit? Not necessarily, Ive come to find that the smoke is amazing at holding intention, and is definitely a multi-purpose tool.

ANY sage depends on the job at hand. I use it for cleaning off a space of “boogers” before I work.Dragon’s blood is what you use for average demon/prankster repellant.

It’s important to differentiate between spirits and demons. A spirit can often be defined as the soul of the dead, as in a former living person. A demon is not a dead person, though. Sage can have some affect on spirits. I don’t think it traditionally has any affect on demons. So if you’re working with the spirits of your ancestors, don’t burn sage because it is a banishing tool, and it will have the opposite result of what you want, which is to communicate with them. However, if you’ve come across the spirit of a departed soul that is troubled or troubling you, you can try burning sage along with other rituals.

It’s important to differentiate between spirits and demons. A spirit can often be defined as the soul of the dead, as in a former living person. A demon is not a dead person, though. Sage can have some affect on spirits. I don’t think it traditionally has any affect on demons. So if you’re working with the spirits of your ancestors, don’t burn sage because it is a banishing tool, and it will have the opposite result of what you want, which is to communicate with them. However, if you’ve come across the spirit of a departed soul that is troubled or troubling you, you can try burning sage along with other rituals. [/quote]

The first evocation to visible manifestation I had, the spirit told me before hand to use that, so I did against my so called “better” judgement. Low and behold after reading my conjuration somethings start happening around me, having been urged not to be distracted by “junk spirits” I decided to avert my gaze until I noticed the incense did something funny out of the corner of my eye, and I playfully decided to break oration and look up, only to find a face had fully assembled itself in the smoke, and then it locked eyes with me.

It will be a lot harder for a spirit that manifests in this smoke to do something harmful in theory, but just like your banishing remarks it doesn’t quite work out that way in practice.

Let us just play around with this idea, that perhaps a vast majority of spirits are currents of consciousness without physical form, so let’s say we provide them a medium to be VISIBLE in the physical world like incense. If you need incense to see and feel them, that point often needs to be remembered. It’s not like they can’t show up here, you simply cannot see them. Would the presence of sage be important at all against them manifesting harm upon you, or would it’s function only facilitate the intent you use it with, much like a hammer, knife, or gun for that matter? It’s just a tool capable of being wielded by a creature with intent, don’t get too carried away in it all. For him it does, because he believes that. Just as for me, I am able to evoke in it, and you probably stick to cleansing your house with it, it’s a tool with many purposes.

But if spirit nudges you to show you things, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are right or wrong, it’s giving you ways to facilitate your intent, and perhaps there are times when they are deceptive, and times when they try to use baby steps to teach people, because as a species we are really dumb and forgot a lot of important shit we should already know.

When I was young I learned that a lot of religious people accidentally empower thought forms, by using their power to achieve things in life, but unable to accept responsibility for the unseen, they believed this was due to other powers, or other things. People do this with religious artifacts and other things all the time, it’s really the same omnipotence that’s being channeled, merely a persons ability to channel it. People do this subconsciously at “healing” shrines.

In one book I read on subconscious programming, the author provided anecdotal evidence of an afflicted religious person being provided with an object of power they thought to be a sacred relic, and this person becoming healed within a day of possessing this object on their person. The object as it turned out was indeed a cheap fake, but as programming of the subconscious is important, they didn’t tell him that in hopes that he would feel he was “healed” of his cancer, so it would never return again, and it didn’t.

Sometimes we need to be shown that we have power, and we can’t accept that, so perhaps this is shown to us by spirits through other means.

Just a personal theory. I always feel like people contain the ultimate power, and few if any remember a glimpse of that godlike power.

Best of Luck,
-Frater Apotheosis

1 Like