Runes vs Tarot

I would like to start developing my divination skills. The thing is, l’m more attracted to the Runes. But after reading all the topics in this section it seems everybody uses the Tarot.
Is there a reason that the Tarot is more popular than the Runes?

Tarot is more easy to learn then Rune and is as Effective as the Rune. Rune take more Dedication, time and Practice to learn, they may seem very Simple but they are SO DEEP, What i would recommend if you want to Learn Rune is to buy a Rune set or make one, and then Starting with the First rune of the Furthak : Fehu Take the run with you all day, meditate on it at least three time daily, to really feel the Energy of that rune, making Contact and communing with it,. Do it for five day, for each Rune.

This will allow you to do profond rune reading as well as allowing you to use the rune for more Use, such as Spellcasting etc…

In the long run runes are even more effective, because they are meant to be used for personal developmrnt reasons which enhance your abilities. Tarot is just merely a tool, but is easier system to work with for beginners.

I personally Disagree with the Tarot being only a Tool, the Tarot Card are Visual Link, gateway and representation of all the Forces both in the Macro and Microcosm, thus a Magician can use them as much as the rune for personal Empowerement.

Well Mephistor, that is only an opinion based off not being indoctrinated into the the runes enough. I work eith them on a major level, where I am guessimg you just merely caste them. I can do tarot, but Runes in thr long run yield greater overall results, with alot more enhancements.

Like I said, runes take experience and I can already see you do not have that “level” to properly give a fuller opinion. That is ok, Tarot is something you can work with and is more for beginners.

[quote=“Biosynth, post:5, topic:8359”]Well Mephistor, that is only an opinion based off not being indoctrinated into the the runes enough. I work eith them on a major level, where I am guessimg you just merely caste them. I can do tarot, but Runes in thr long run yield greater overall results, with alot more enhancements.

Like I said, runes take experience and I can already see you do not have that “level” to properly give a fuller opinion. That is ok, Tarot is something you can work with and is more for beginners.[/quote]

Your presumptions are wrong about me, I agree though that it is my Personal Opinion about Tarot but i think that it is Shared by many people as well, Also i consider myself as a Begginer, since in this Infinite universe of Infinite Possiblity can we really be something else? Just some food for thought.

Also i clearly stated in my Previous Message that the rune can be Used for way more things then Casting, This implict that i personally used them for such Things but I dont go in depth in my personal Working with them, Since its Personal.

Well Mephistor, your presumptions about me are wrong, because I am not a beginner, but I am not the best either. I stated a very simple point. And this is not based on the Rules governing opinions but Fact. If you are a beginner your mileage will vary, and so you cannot say something is not as effective, because #1 you yourself are not that effective.

Its like comparing a Bike with Training Wheels to a professional Road Bike used in a Triathlon. You cannot say a Bike with training wheels is the most effective, simply because your ability limits your level of Mastery to just using training wheels as it would make you feel more effective or competent.

As for tarot there are advanced things you can do with tarot too, but there are things you cannot do like you could do with Runes. Runes are much older and they have highly diverse applications in magick, up to and including enhancing clairvoyant reading abilities, which by itself surpasses tarot.

1 Like

[quote=“Biosynth, post:7, topic:8359”]Well Mephistor, your presumptions about me are wrong, because I am not a beginner, but I am not the best either. I stated a very simple point. And this is not based on the Rules governing opinions but Fact. If you are a beginner your mileage will vary, and so you cannot say something is not as effective, because #1 you yourself are not that effective.

Its like comparing a Bike with Training Wheels to a professional Road Bike used in a Triathlon. You cannot say a Bike with training wheels is the most effective, simply because your ability limits your level of Mastery to just using training wheels as it would make you feel more effective or competent.

As for tarot there are advanced things you can do with tarot too, but there are things you cannot do like you could do with Runes. Runes are much older and they have highly diverse applications in magick, up to and including enhancing clairvoyant reading abilities, which by itself surpasses tarot.[/quote]

My Opinion is very Different then yours about Tarot due to my Experience and also, Tarot is probably come from Egypt thus most Probably Older then Rune. Also I learned to stay Humble, Yes even as a Magician, but for the sake of Understanding it should be clear that i’m not a Beginner,

I don’t understand why there’s any disagreement here, with respect?

It’s an established fact that you can pathwork both Runes & Tarot, you can do spells with both, use them as portals, as well as use them for divination. Reading the conversation above, isn’t that what you’re both saying? :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:9, topic:8359”]I don’t understand why there’s any disagreement here, with respect?

It’s an established fact that you can pathwork both Runes & Tarot, you can do spells with both, use them as portals, as well as use them for divination. Reading the conversation above, isn’t that what you’re both saying? :)[/quote]

Yes, this is what i was saying that Both rune and Tarot work wonderfully well, i actually said it in my First reply

1 Like

Tarot has more coverage, more cultural recognition as well, and a lot of people are confused by competing claims about Runes, like should they be painted with your own blood added, or blue paint, should you make your own Rune stones and are bought ones useless, do they have to be carved on special wood, do you need a working relationship to Odin or other Norse gods, stuff like that - but anyone with a few spendies can get online and buy a Tarot deck, and KNOW it’s the same deck used by pros.

Most people are lazy (I am!) and I think that affects the level of coverage they get.

There are many different ways to read runes. One of the biggest things for me though as stressed with them is I have a bond with each of them like they are seperate spirits but all interconnected. There is an enhancement of psychic awareness because of the symbiotic relationship. They have a way of connecting to other systems and actually operating through them such as tarot and other spirits. This of course is my own work with them as everyone is different.

Rather than using a single system style, they have diversity and direct visions. But, its eithsr use their style of rune casting or read the elaborate system of tarot which has more coverage…so yeah Eva is right. But I am not concerned with working with others framework and rather prefer to work out my own system

I work with both, and while I certainly don’t know it all, if I thought one was far better than the other at doing the same things I would only work with one of them!

I do happen to agree that the tarot -tends- to be ‘merely a tool’. I don’t mean this in terms of lessening its applicability or its potency, only that it tends to be a skillful magickal artifice, a created thing through understanding and technique, a signpost towards what we are capable of.

Connecting with runes, on the other hand, is making contact with occult forces of Nature that are revealed to the quester. I won’t go so far as to express an opinion on whether the runes are ‘alive’ or just natural processes in motion, but they are a dynamic and powerful force on their own - tarot, except for some very special individual decks created and ‘opened’ usually with blood, tends in my experience to be more of a tool, its power depending upon the power, skill, and understanding of the diviner.

Although, just when you think you know a lot about -either- of these systems, if you do pursue them dedicatedly you’ll again be surprised at how much more there is to discover. As mentioned above, they are deep.

1 Like

Tarot: a card game that people use for divination.

Futhark Runes: an alphabet that people use for divination.

I-Ching: Coins and hexagrams that…well you get the picture…

Tarot is just more popular because it has been in the mainstream occult world longer. How far back did you look here? 2014 was a big year for runes on this fourm.