Robes- wrong cloth ;ugh

I went and bought some nice cotton knit black fabric, thinking it would make some nice robes. my poor wife! man did I clearly have no idea what I was getting, $1/yd seemed really good to me. This stuff is like the ‘eternal stretch’ fabric, and no matter how hard she tries, it is just going to look hideous! she keeps trying to say "I’m sorry’, but I bought the stuff. My problem is I am an incurable cheapoooooo ! 'specially where clothing comes into play. For some years I never bought shoes as I got them from the guys i brought in to the morgue and the families didn’t want their clothing back. it was a good 10 years before i bought shoes after I left. [unholy hellz i miss that job!] So anyway, she said this time she will pick out the cloth- and the pattern, she hates the pattern I picked- I pulled it off the ‘sons of light’ website, I mean a robe s a robe right?
So, just for the hell of it; even though I could find something, does anyone have an idea where I could get a SIMPLE good robe pattern ?
i am also going to have her teach me to sew; as her spinal column is collapsing, she lost another 4 verts in a year- and sewing is agony for her.
With any luck- some financial changes will fall upon us in the positive way this year and I will just buy them from now on.

Laugh all you like, but I wear a black bathrobe I got from a high street store, it has a hood and is lovely and warm, which matters where I live!

No-one’s complained, not even Dhjuty who likes formal attire, so…

I’m sure I remember reading Lon Milo DuQuette saying he wears a clean t-shirt and jogging pants, because they’re comfortable and practical. I understand wanting a hand-made robe but these might be acceptable and affordable ideas to bridge that gap? :slight_smile:

1 Like

These guys have some nice stuff if you can afford it.

[url=http://aspapparel.com/Hooded-Ritual-Cloaks-Robes.php]http://aspapparel.com/Hooded-Ritual-Cloaks-Robes.php[/url]

Totally dig and agree with what your saying. no laughing here. And I know quite well, so far noone but me cares a damn what I am wearing- which makes me quite happy as i go skyclad- easily a 1/3 of the time. And with our truly evil hot weather (which it only got to 75 today and i have been in my underwear all day) the gods better damn sure enjoy the show (did you see my 'dancing with the candles post? all hells likely to really come to pass
! };)> )
But- there are also time when I gotta “in uniform”-sometimes, spirituality has its own way of being a “contact sport”. i actually plan to have several robes- different colors, designs; all meant to resonate differantly for achieving different things. The other night- i went on a “Absorbing the Night energy/walkies with one of my doggyz” i was in what I use for a robe, which is an old dark blue caftan which is over an old black t-shirt hoodie.
The BOC song “I love the night” is damn near an anthem to me- i may be a Leo. total Solar being; but man I love the night- with or with a moon.
i am sure i will eventually be doing the EA tank and jeans outside; if i can get things how I want- skyclad also. So i am not worrying about not getting anything by not having a robe- even before I 'turned to the Dark Side" i well know I can get as big of something as I want sans robe; but sometimes- i like being the sharp dressed man.

Thanks for the love!

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:2, topic:5369”]Laugh all you like, but I wear a black bathrobe I got from a high street store, it has a hood and is lovely and warm, which matters where I live!

No-one’s complained, not even Dhjuty who likes formal attire, so…

I’m sure I remember reading Lon Milo DuQuette saying he wears a clean t-shirt and jogging pants, because they’re comfortable and practical. I understand wanting a hand-made robe but these might be acceptable and affordable ideas to bridge that gap? :)[/quote]

1 Like

have spent bunches of hours on their site promising…“when I have the $$ you are so mine !!” Which then threw me into my wierd idea place in my head of having my own “Fingerhut” type site for all things occult. If I am drooling over something; I know there is 100 others doing the same; so why not make it good for everyone?

[quote=“Iam Incide, post:3, topic:5369”]These guys have some nice stuff if you can afford it.

[url=http://aspapparel.com/Hooded-Ritual-Cloaks-Robes.php]http://aspapparel.com/Hooded-Ritual-Cloaks-Robes.php[/url][/quote]

1 Like

OK,so I usually wear rather formal garb IRL(even just at home),so being in a satin waistcoat,a cotton shirt,and some pants is something I’m accustomed to,and I’ve find very good success in ritual with it.

Other times,I evoke in the morning,in my pajamas.Even if it’s super-filthy.

Other times,I do wear a bathrobe.

And other times,I wear this one black silk robe,and a crown of wood,which is really the only time I wear anything really ceremonial…underneath which is usually the above.

Honestly,the powers called will answer to what you do,and not what you look like.Feel free to wear a pink skirt,shirtless,a green tophat,and carry around a box full of bananas and Belial will still be good to you.He may raise an eyebrow,though.

The filthiest outfit I’ve ever worn in ritual,to date,was after spending a whole day horsebackriding,and coming back in my riding pants,a sweather above,with a trenchcoat,that was filled with bird poo,pollen,and mud,and a top hat,that I wore just for the hell of it.

I looked like a circus ringleader.It was a fun ritual.

I have no idea why I felt the need to share this.

i feel like their is a certain importance in the ritual robe that is overlooked. That being when you are in a group ritual, street clothing can be distracting. i feel like it is less important then in solo ritual, but with a group and especially with modern clothing that includes splash art, it is easy to lose focus on the ritual because of something on the person’s shirt on the other side of the circle.

Eventually I will likely look for something to turn into my own ritual robe. They do have some very nice ones for sale online, but I want to make something myself, or at least add the personal touches myself, because I want it to be something that is really and truly my own. I don’t really practice formal ritual much compared to what I suppose I could or should, but when I do do so, I just work quite carelessly in whatever I’m currently wearing. Jeans and my baggy old hoodie, pajama pants, my work clothes… Nothing wrong with this really of course, but I feel like having a proper magical robe would add a certain mystical and powerful state of mind, and that’s what really matters.

I attended a magical gathering a couple times over the past few years, (probably for more of a right hand path collection of people, with a good bit of middle ground.) There are it seems in these widely ranged minded paths few rules on color and decoration for the robes and capes. One one hand it;s cool to see all the neat colors and creativity, but where you would think street cloths would be distracting in ritual, in this case it was actually just as easy to be distracted by the colors, and even sparkly glitter fabrics of ritual robes, lol. Personally I think it’s fine to use any color. I want a purple one myself… but patterns and patchwork can be distracting.

1 Like

I simply wear black pants, with bare chest and feet, as EA recommends in Works of Darkness, along with an inverted pentagram necklace that I only wear for ritual.

I do have a robe, made for me by a former girlfriend, but I found it to be cumbersome.

1 Like

Sky clad. "Nuff said.

I uses chic and sandra ciceros robe, i love it and it’s not that hard to make. If you dont own the book secrets of a golden dawn temple, you can find the instructions here Robes: A few different sources for robe construction – Wiccan Witchcraft
And to me sometimes i try to work without a robe, and i notice that it’s much harder for me to do a full blown invocation than it is using a robe, it’s a good tool and helps me alot