Reverse the reverse

Hey BALG,

I have been reading Tarot since 2010, and I have gotten better at it. My first tarot deck was the Thoth Deck which does not take cards into reversed positions into account in the reading. If you flip over the 2 of Cups and it happens to be reversed it just means you shuffled them in some strange way.

I just got my hands on the Rider deck and thought I would give it a go and I would like to know from all you experienced readers if you take reversed cards into consideration. Or when reading you don’t and instead rely on your own divination and intuitive abilities to read what the cards are telling you?

Thank you,
Orismen

To do reversals consistently is a bitch IMO. You have to seperate the cards randomly and make sure half are reversed and then shuffle. This has to be done for every reading which isn’t the norm with most readers which leaves the possibility that a card that should be upright is now reversed and can throw off a reading.

I used to do them but my readings are far more accurate without reversals in my experience. There are enough cards to convey the message without using reversals, that’s where things like elemental dignities and intuition come into play.

[quote=“Orismen, post:1, topic:2385”]Hey BALG,

I have been reading Tarot since 2010, and I have gotten better at it. My first tarot deck was the Thoth Deck which does not take cards into reversed positions into account in the reading. If you flip over the 2 of Cups and it happens to be reversed it just means you shuffled them in some strange way.

I just got my hands on the Rider deck and thought I would give it a go and I would like to know from all you experienced readers if you take reversed cards into consideration. Or when reading you don’t and instead rely on your own divination and intuitive abilities to read what the cards are telling you?

Thank you,
Orismen[/quote]

I’ll agree most of the time with the Thoth deck I don’t take the reverse into account. HOWEVER, there are those times when you can’t help but notice them, and in such a case it’s good to have a grasp on what the reverse ‘might’ mean to you. It helps to give an alternative explanation as-to the storyline of the reading if you find it only makes sense in reverse.

I started with the Hermetic Tarot by Godfrey Dowson, and with that deck I do notice the reverse come more into play, however NOT always, lol.

It really is just intuition and reading the story-line IMO. Like if I see three cards and the one reverse only makes sense that it is reversed, I’ll go with it.

I’ve gotten really good with Tarot over the past year since doing the Divination course, it’s almost freaky, lol.

E.A’s interpretations of the cards is the best I’ve found.

Thank you both. I did a reading lastnight and one of the cards seemed that it was supposed to be reversed. I read it as such and sure enough, it was right on the money this morning.