Raja Yoga

Hello fellow members. I have come to ask how many of you have tried to tread the path of Yoga. I myself have just started back up on the path about a week ago. I am doing pranayama exercises while watching tons of Swami Rama lectures as well as reading all of his books.

Basically I have come to ask if anyone would like to tread this path that is neither white nor black magic or even middle path; It is a path of self experience, control of mind, and control of body and nervous system. If you comply, I can start writing articles and you can ask questions as well as write about your progress.

My goal is to help others get on the Yogic path. Me being still on the start of the path, I think this will motivate me to keep moving forward no matter what.

Also, one question: Where should I put the articles because it doesn’t seem like they fit anywhere here.

[quote=“Omnipresent, post:1, topic:3023”]Hello fellow members. I have come to ask how many of you have tried to tread the path of Yoga. I myself have just started back up on the path about a week ago. I am doing pranayama exercises while watching tons of Swami Rama lectures as well as reading all of his books.

Basically I have come to ask if anyone would like to tread this path that is neither white nor black magic or even middle path; It is a path of self experience, control of mind, and control of body and nervous system. If you comply, I can start writing articles and you can ask questions as well as write about your progress.

My goal is to help others get on the Yogic path. Me being still on the start of the path, I think this will motivate me to keep moving forward no matter what.

Also, one question: Where should I put the articles because it doesn’t seem like they fit anywhere here.[/quote]

What makes the Yogic path so great is that it is something that people will fail to intellectualize. It’s 100% about experience; the truths gained from it can really only be understood if you do it. The other thing to understand is that despite the wealth of public info on it. Yoga is so deep that even the best stuff only accounts for about 1% of what goes on and what is available in yogic practice.

Tantra, and I would like to make sure that folks realize that I am not talking about the sexual transmutation stuff that people are obsessed with currently, has taught me to appreciate the basics. My introduction to it was so humbling and rude (in a good way) that I had to realize that most modern thought on the process was completely out-of-line, and that most of the texts surrounding it are completely mistranslated or misunderstood.

Thanks for bringing this topic up and highlighting it. If I had to pick some authentic publications with some backbone to them, I would say that Swami Rama definitely has some great books; Path of Fire and Light Vol 1 & 2 and Exercise Without Movement are the ones I have read so far. I would also have to given my thumbs up to the Bihar School Publications; they have helped me a lot and they actually show a lot of stuff that can’t found in most any other publication. It’s helped me understand Kundalini better, a topic that is highly misappropriated (not all spinal energy is Kundalini, and summoning a dragon out of your spinal energy does not equate to Kundalini).

For your articles question, I guess you might as well use this thread since you started it for this topic. I mean, seems like it will be the best place since yoga is pretty much a ghost topic on the forum.

wait, I’m confused… I just read that it is also referred to as astanga yoga. so is this the same thing as Ashtanga yoga? or is it some kind of variation?

Im into this thread. Yoga is the main discipline that helped me with most of these concepts on this forum. The applications are endless. Especially when you read every book in the spiritual section and never get anything out of it. Then you practice some of these concept and you see your progress.

Im quite interested in Tantra. Most info I have is some basic pdf off Google and a book I bought by Christopher Hyatt. If anyone cares to share some legit resources I would definately check it out. I also watched an EA podcast where he talked about it a little.

If I were to post tantra, it would be the Samaya discipline.

For now, it will be the Royal Path: Raja Yoga.

Raja Yoga: The Royal Path

What is Raja Yoga?

It is the path of self control. Basically, it helps you to be able to cultivate the power of the microcosm (inner transformation) to be able to affect the Macrocosm (External transformation; Universal power). The main goal of all Yoga is to merge with the divine and to stop the wheel of reincarnation and control it.

How might I reach this point?

You will have to go through the practice of the eight rungs of Raja yoga.

What are they?

They are:
Yama: Codes of Restraint
Niyama: Self Training
Asana: Perfecting meditation posture
Pranayama: perfection of breathing; control of prana and the pause between breaths.
Pratyahara: withdrawal of the senses; one-pointed mind.
Dharana: Concentration
Dhyana: Meditation
Samadhi: Deep absorption

There is also another state which can be used to master anything. You must use the last three of the rungs to be able to do it, but it won’t be possible unless you master the first five.

The state is called Samyama, it bears the fruits of Siddhis (Occult Powers). Now that I’ve told you about siddhis, you must create your willpower because if you don’t, you’ll never reach the goal because you think too much about the siddhis.

This is the post of the day for now while I go and do my pranayama.

right on. Im really interested in what you have to say. And please give me a heads up if you decide to go into aspects of tantra.

I think i’m going to make a different thread for the different types of Yogas. This one will be just Raja.

Good shit man, that probably makes more sense overall.

Yeah. We need to spread the Yogas around here!

yes we do. Thank you omnipresent. This is much appreciated.

The1gza feels I jumped in a little early on this thread to mention what I’ve seen as the dangers of some concepts that are part of yogic teachings.

As there’s no way for him to post a rebuttal without taking this thread off-topic, and we are probably the WORST novelists on this entire forum, I’ve removed my post and we can perhaps have that discussion more usefully in a thread of its own. :slight_smile:

Apologies due to Omni if you felt the same way.

[quote=“Omnipresent, post:6, topic:3023”]Raja Yoga: The Royal Path

What is Raja Yoga?

It is the path of self control. Basically, it helps you to be able to cultivate the power of the microcosm (inner transformation) to be able to affect the Macrocosm (External transformation; Universal power). The main goal of all Yoga is to merge with the divine and to stop the wheel of reincarnation and control it.

How might I reach this point?

You will have to go through the practice of the eight rungs of Raja yoga.

What are they?

They are:
Yama: Codes of Restraint
Niyama: Self Training
Asana: Perfecting meditation posture
Pranayama: perfection of breathing; control of prana and the pause between breaths.
Pratyahara: withdrawal of the senses; one-pointed mind.
Dharana: Concentration
Dhyana: Meditation
Samadhi: Deep absorption

There is also another state which can be used to master anything. You must use the last three of the rungs to be able to do it, but it won’t be possible unless you master the first five.

The state is called Samyama, it bears the fruits of Siddhis (Occult Powers). Now that I’ve told you about siddhis, you must create your willpower because if you don’t, you’ll never reach the goal because you think too much about the siddhis.

This is the post of the day for now while I go and do my pranayama.[/quote]

I had a chance to re-read this, and I gotta say that this was a pretty dope little excerpt which highlights how yoga was NOT all about escapism into a void, but you need to have some self-control, patience, and a bit of indifference towards the goals. This isn’t so that you lose interest, but rather so that they can actually happen. Being too concentrated on seeing a siddhi happen does not seem to possess the air of trust in what you are doing to achieve it.

Yes. I had left that there for people to take interest, but even with the interest, their desires for it will also have to be somewhat suppressed because they will probably end up with nothing only thinking about the powers they could gain from this.

Well, obsession is usually not a good sign of trust in what you are doing. But that kind of is how people address magick, the occult, or spirituality (do these terms ever feel constricting to use sometimes); people have such hardcore pursuits of their desires that they try to skip the preliminary steps to get there. In my experience, both as an observer and practitioner of such impatience, that leads people to miss fundamental things that would make that goal flourish in the manner it should.

You can take a siddhi like flying, and folks would just focus on that. So they want the flying technique, but they don’t want to do the shit to master it because you would have to spend a lot of time not flying. They are so focused on flying that they don’t consider that while learning to fly, they might be gaining so many peripheral powers - understanding the interplay of gravitational forces and how to manipulate them, the intricacies of how buoyant force and how it effects movement of objects from the most macrocosmic to the most microcosmic - they miss all that. As a result, not only do they fail to fly, they fail to gain several other awakenings that came with learning that.

But ti’s the same with other things on a ore gross scale; folks obsessed with dependency on money, sex, social status. None of these things are evil, but the focused obsession and/or dependency on them as the all of life funnels people into a downward spiral of strife and stress that is far from necessary. I wrote about this in my Mastering Basics thread, but in my entire pursuit of all that stuff, I didn’t really get anywhere with it until I stuck to the basics and just let that happen.

So I’m looking forward to some of your next posts on the topic, but yoga can be quite encapsulating so those posts will probably coming out pretty slowly hahaha.

Yes, yes they will. It’s kind of hilarious to think that we may know a TON of knowledge on yoga, yet at the same time we figured out that all we have learned is really only the tip of the iceberg. I’m talking about all the public information we have on yoga.

so how would one go about conceptualizing the practicle applications of all of the rungs?

If I may, everyday I do a variation of asanas, then work on my pranayma. This is how I got a grasp on TGS. It also helps me forget about the work day or whatever stress I collected to open my channels for my higher self to come through. At that point I am able to go into ritual or whatever.

however, I get how evocation and divination works. I get some form of results/communication. I’m completely missing the point on soul travel and feel like I am lacking on some of the concepts of yoga.

Any advice or comments? Thanks

I was going to go through theory, but you guys can search it up when you need to. It’s just way too long and I know you want to get to the practices.

Back to the eight rungs now.

The first two of the eight, Yama and Niyama, are to be observed through daily life as to “cleanse the body and mind of certain thoughts.”

The third rung is to be mastered. It is Asana. The asana is the posture which you sit in on the ground while meditating. Depending on the asana, it can promote wellness and comfort.

There are three asanas you might want to work with:

1. Savasana (Corpse pose): This pose is done laying the body down on the ground as if your body is dead. It is quite a comfortable pose. Use it only when you’re just too tired.
  2. Siddhasana (The perfect pose): This is a great posture to use especially when doing pranayama. They also say that this is the posture you use to get into Samadhi.
  3. Padmasana (The Lotus Pose) Great to use if you’re not as flexible.

There are many more asanas you may use, but these three cover the basic, intermediate and advanced postures. The main goal of the third rung is to master your pose. After you are able to sit in the pose without distraction, getting up or anything for three hours, you have attained mastery over that asana.

Pranayama:

Pranayama is the mastery of prana. Control over prana means control over mind and body. Pranayama has many benefits to health you probably didn’t know was possible just by breathing in and out. It has been known to cure many diseases. The goal of pranayama is to be able to float above the ground as well as make ida and pingala enter the sushumna channel where you can attain pratyahara (one pointed mind) I will discuss more about ida and pingala in an exclusive post about pranayama.

Your body is composed of around 72,000 nadis (energy channels). When you cannot feel energy coursing through your body, it means the channels need to be cleared. Once they are cleared, one is able to truly start working on pranayama.

A great practice for this is called Sukha purvaka. The technique goes like this:

1. Take your right hand and close the right nostril with the thumb and close the left nostril with the ring and pinky finger.

2. Take your ring and pinky off the left nostril and breathe in for 1 second.

3. Hold your breath for 4 seconds

4. Breathe out of the right nostril for two seconds then repeat the process with the right nostril breathing in and the left breathing out in the 1:4:2 ratio.

5. Once you have done both nostrils and ended with breathing out through the left nostril, you have completed one round. At the beginning, do 7 rounds and increase by 3 rounds every 3 days.

6. To further enhance the effect, visualize your solar system (Manipura chakra(Solar Plexus)) clearing out the nadis with fire.

As you get used to the 1:4:2 ratio (breathe in:hold:breathe out) then you can move on to 2:8:4, 5:20:10 and up to 20:80:40 is the max for the time being.

Also during the practices, you will tend to become very sweaty. This is a good sign. You should wipe it away as it is all the impurities in your body.

Another sign at later practices is the feeling of pain or choking (not to be misinterpreted by the first signs when you are just starting). These come in at around two months of daily training. At that time, you may rub back in your sweat as now it will make you stronger.

The final sign is the feeling of lightness. At that point, it is possible that you may also partially levitate.

Sukha Purvaka has to be done 2 times a day for someone who is very busy in life. You will reach Nadi Sodhana (purification of the nadis) within a year and a half, and four times a day for someone who has a lot of time. You should reach Nadi sodhana within 6 months and possibly even three months as long as you keep increasing the ratio.

That’s all for today. Sometime this week, I will talk more about the other three higher rungs and the infamous Samyama.

All the rungs go hand in hand. They first make you think, then they make you feel and then finally, they make you think again. After so much thinking, you get samadhi. Samadhi is the site of the absorption of whatever object you were thinking about within the one pointed mind.

Going back again, the asanas help you fit more comfortably if you’re trying to reach trance. Pranayama allows you to control the energy as well as bring in more energy through each breath and possibly making your projection a lot stronger than it should have. Pratyahara takes away all those annoying thoughts in your mind and lets you focus on that one thought which is within the TGS.

I don’t know much about soul travel, but what I read is that it is projecting the mind. What you might want to focus on is visualization as well as tactile imaging. Tactile imaging is sensing and feeling certain bodyparts or projecting your awareness to that object. You basically would be able to feel the projected body coming out.

I do an ashtanga (forgive my spelling) style yoga routine and I sweat like hell afterwards. Are you saying that you will sweat out your impurities just by doing pranayama and sitting there in Lotus (plain jane crossed legged position)? Or are you in a harder asana to maintain for a long period of time?

Btw I like how you posted this, it kinda reminds me of the first time I read Book 4. Great stuff.