Questions about Zoroastrianism

1. According to “Original Magic: The Rituals and Initiations of the Persian Magi”, there is a chapter about “A Word on Demonology” where it acknowledges the paradigm that the Christian god keeps knowledge from man and thus people work with demons who oppose this god. However, Ahura Mazda (as the book says) keeps nothing from man and actually desires man’s perfection? It doesn’t go into detail about how the religion feels about both Yahweh or demons. And thus, there isn’t word on whether one may invoke these demons along side following Ahura Mazda or invoke the Yazatas while following the left hand path.

2. I get this concept of “Asha” as some universal positive energy, but not the “Law of Asha” which comes off as vague. Is it some philosophy? Is it just “Do the right thing for others?” Does that include non-beleivers?

3. How does Zoroastrianism feel towards outside beliefs and other gods?

4. I’ve read Zoroastrianism does not accept new converts. Why? Is it a blood and lineage thing? Are followers hostile towards outsiders?

5. How does Ahura Mazda feel towards sexuality, as in non-marital sexuality?

2 Likes

It’s a living faith, so, loads of info online, for example search sexuality zoroastrianism - lots of results available. :+1:

2 Likes

I can answer the fourth question.

In order to understand why Zoroastrians do not accept converts, one has to know a little about Zoroastrian history. After the Muslims began invading Persia and incorporating it into the Islamic empire, Zoroastrianism began to dwindle. A number of Zoroastrians, seeking refuge, sailed from Persia to the coasts of what is now Gujarat, India. There they settled. In order to not alarm the ruler, the Zoroastrians (whom many now call Parsis) promised that they will not seek converts from the local populace. This, along with their industriousness, made them the model citizens.

Parsis today say that they made a promise, so they have to keep it. Thus, outsiders are not accepted into the community.

Furthermore, traditional Zoroastrians believe that non-Zoroastrians are impure since they do not practice the rituals that can make them pure. When it comes to soteriology, things get complicated. There’s no definite doctrine regarding Zoroastrianism as a vehicle for salvation, just that the dictum of “good deeds, good thoughts, good words” improves the world and leads to a better afterlife. There’s an eternal struggle between good and bad, and every act towards goodness strengthens the side of the good.

Regarding question 3: Zoroastrians, like most traditional religions, believe that sexual activity is only allowed between a man and a woman who are married.

Regarding question 2: “asha” is complicated to translate; it’s like the Hindu concept of “rt”. It encompasses truth, justice, doing good, righteousness, etc. And Zoroastrians are commanded to further asha, even with non-Zoroastrians.

Regarding question 3: traditional Zoroastrianism posits that only Zoroastrianism has and is truth. That said, it encourages others (even non-Zoroastrians) to practice humata, hukhta, hvarshta (good thoughs, good words, good deeds).

1 Like

So it sounds like another strict orthodox monotheistic celestial worshiping religion that includes very little room for personal freedom. That doesn’t sound like one I’d follow. Though, from the looks of things, it doesn’t proselytize or wage war on non-believers. So where as its not a religion I’d agree with, it’s something I may be able to live next to.

Ahraimon and Azi Dahaka.

That’s the part of that faith that is actually worth looking into.

1 Like

You should look into eastern practices such as Daoist magick as it is recorded that they had many dealings with the persians and exchanges of their magical techniques. So there is a lot of crossover involved and Daoist magick itself while it might not directly speak of calling on demonic entities their concept of demonic entities lies more in line with true demonic and negative versus just percieved that way. There are many techniques to summon and bind such beings though and deal with them and for the majority of the demons they talk of existing it is very necessary to bind or destroy them. It is important to keep in mind their conception of what is a demon is different from more western cultures and they often focus heavily on immortals and elemental gods.

Actually they have started accepting converts.

If you want to know about Zoroastrianism I suggest you watch these videos - they will blow your mind…! Pretty much EVERYTHING stes from Zoroastrianism. Anyone wants an intro into all occult listen and enjoy.

J

2 Likes

I have also been studying and integrating the Persian and Babylonian magickal practices. While I have read and studied Zoroastrian texts as well as those of the Mithras cult, it wasn’t until I started reading "Original Magic: The Rituals and Initiations of the Persian Magi” that I found real concrete rituals to explore.

Zoroastrianism is very similar to Gnosticism as far as cosmology and moral values. Basically, the One is a source and shared consciousness and supreme deity. Also, the biblical origin stories are interpreted similarly, where as Yahweh is the adversary since he was against man gaining knowledge and enlightenment which is the ultimate goal of both religions. Therefore, the modern Abrahamic religions are the enemy of the light seeker, and they are the Right Hand Path mired in dogma and ignorance.

The true way is the Left Hand Path, getting in touch with your internal God spark and elevating your consciousness to that of the One.

@ davethebarbarian
To your question #1, the Yazatas of Zoroastrianism (and similarly Gnosticism) are the demons of the Abrahamic religions, and likewise the demons of Judaism, Christianity and Islam are the angels or Yazatas of Zoastrianism/Gnosticism.