Question on planetary magic and astrology

Hi there forum,

Can anyone here recommend me some reading on astrological transits of planets?

I’m not much interested in astrology per se, but I’m trying to do a bit more advanced planetary magic and I’d like to know specifically how certain transits affect the planets and their influence.

All I could find so far is how certain planetary transits affect people and this isn’t exactly what I’m looking for though it allows you to get a general idea.

What I’m looking for is some sort of straightforward no bullshit handbook which would lay out all the planets, transits and influences so this information could be easily applied in a ritual planning.

I won’t claim to be an authority on Planetary Magick, but I’ve read, and am working through, “Planetary Magick” by Denning and Phillips. I’ve also read, and worked with a bit, Jason Miller’s “Advanced Planetary Magick”. In addition, I’ve read quite a bit on the subject wherever I can find it. One thing is common among everything I’ve personally read: there is no need for astrology in Planetary Magick. Denning and Phillips even come right out and say there is no need to know anything about it. What I’ve taken away from my reading is this: the attributes and energies of the Seven are always there, always available, and can always be used to achieve ones goals, irregardless of astrological “conditions”. Planetary Days and Hours are the only thing you need to observe.

If you feel you need to use those things, it’s your option, but they really aren’t required. As for where to find the info you’re looking for, I have no idea, sorry.

[quote=“chef1964, post:2, topic:8208”]I won’t claim to be an authority on Planetary Magick, but I’ve read, and am working through, “Planetary Magick” by Denning and Phillips. I’ve also read, and worked with a bit, Jason Miller’s “Advanced Planetary Magick”. In addition, I’ve read quite a bit on the subject wherever I can find it. One thing is common among everything I’ve personally read: there is no need for astrology in Planetary Magick. Denning and Phillips even come right out and say there is no need to know anything about it. What I’ve taken away from my reading is this: the attributes and energies of the Seven are always there, always available, and can always be used to achieve ones goals, irregardless of astrological “conditions”. Planetary Days and Hours are the only thing you need to observe.

If you feel you need to use those things, it’s your option, but they really aren’t required. As for where to find the info you’re looking for, I have no idea, sorry.[/quote]

I’ve skimmed through the book by Denning and Philips earlier and I didn’t find it very useful since I’m already familiar with kabbalistic and basic correspondences. I didn’t find much use for the extra information on animals, deities and music associated with planets.
I’m not sure how I feel about the statement that astrological influences are totally irrelevant though I do agree that your ritual will work regardless of those.

I think that using astrological influences would help me to further perfect and fine tune a ritual for a very specific purpose while going by general properties of the planet would be something like a shotgun approach. I’m not an expert in planetary magic of course and I’m going with my instincts here, that’s why I’d like to test my theory.

But thanks for your answer anyway.

I’m afraid what you’re looking for doesn’t exist (AFAIK).

The closest I can think of would be Robert Hand’s book “Planets in Transit” or else “Rules for Planetary Pictures” by Alfred Witte and “The Combination of Stellar Influences” by Reinhold Ebertin. I don’t think they are what you are looking for though, and the unfortunate fact is pretty much all out there that might be on that topic is utter crap, including some of the above…but they’re better than most.

In fact, if you are looking for “specificness” of a planets properties, looking at transits while somewhat valuable is kind of the wrong direction. The specific things a planet does are more dependent on its dignity at the time as well as its relation in space, and that of the signs it rules, relative to you. Then how something “grows” once that seed is planted, is dependent on the nakshatras/lunar mansion involved with those planets. Time AND space need to be considered for bringing something into 3D reality.

It is perfectly possible to use astrology to aim at something very precise and tune a ritual like you suspect - but there’s no one book that will really help you with that (and if it somehow did exist it would be a massive beast of a book with all kinds of exceptions always being given).

There are some very basic “combinations” of planets which can outline specific things the planets will cause…but they are scattered all over the astrological literature (primarily in Indian texts, though some of Greek etc origin). For example, anytime the Moon and Mars are conjunct is a moment wealth can be created specifically. How much though, depends on the various dignities of them and some other things…and getting it to function in a reasonable time period would require them to be rising etc. If you are interested in that, you will want to look up “yogas” in astrology. But many of them are honestly crap and don’t work.

There are also some pure “time” based things which can function rather specifically considering they are mostly time based and work very well. For example, now, the whole world over based on time alone is a good time for wealth. In about 20 minutes this will change to a time productive of promoting people to travel. There are also some specific moon position based things which can work very specifically, such as causing someone to “leave their native country”, “indulge in bed pleasures”, “play ball”, “be in the wrong place”, “headache” etc. But learning all these would require actually getting quite deep in astrology…

1 Like

Thanks for detailed answer Rawiri.

This is exactly what I was afraid of and I’m surprised nobody still compiled all this information in an easy to use book. I think there are some good money to be made here for anyone who is well versed in astrology.

I’m not ready to spend such a tremendous amount of time to sift thru all the bullshit to get some tiny amount of useful information yet. But maybe I will end up doing it eventually.

Not sure what did you mean by “yogas” since i’m not very familiar with the lingo lol, but I’ve been experimenting with doing some yoga sequences prior to my rituals and it seems to work well. Even basic surya namaskar sequence or some kundalini yoga kriya helps to accumulate good amount of energy and better release it in a ritual. Though this is probably not what you meant… I wanted to test it in a group and force participants do some basic yoga sequence (like 30 mins) prior to the ritual to see how will it boost the ritual but unfortunately I had to stop working with my little group since some of them thought it would be funny to try and pull some magical shit on me.

edit: looked up yogas in astrology and see what you meant now, has nothing to do with physical/mental practice.

You’re welcome. Yeah lol, as you figured, that’s not what I meant, though yoga beforehand is certainly beneficial and can help in most cases.

I doubt there’s really much money in the area to make it worthwhile, but nonetheless for my own purposes I will eventually be releasing some stuff on it which I’d hope will encourage more people who otherwise wouldn’t to get involved (by making things far simpler and accessible - even “push button easy”). It’d go well beyond the norm (which would be the picatrix) and it’d show times for numerous desires regularly being available - since one of the things people seem to hate about astrology seems to be the idea that they have to wait forever - but that’s not the case at all if someone actually knows astrology beyond a few talismans of the picatrix. Every moment is an opportunity for something. :slight_smile:

That’s still some time away though, as I still have personal testing to do with certain areas and have other more significant business interests etc going on right now.