Principles of Chaos Magick?

1. The avoidance of Dogmatism. Chaos Magicians strive to avoid falling into dogmatism (unless expressing dogmatism is part of a temporary belief system they have entered). Discordians use ‘Catmas’ such as “Us Discordians must stick apart!” Thus Chaos Magicians feel entitled to change their minds, contradict themselves and come up with arguments that are alternatively plausible and implausible. It has been pointed out that we invest a lot of time and energy in being right. What’s wrong with being wrong occasionally?

2. Personal Experience is paramount. In other words, don’t take my word that such-and-such is the case, check it out for yourself. Magick has suffered extensively from ‘armchair theorists’ who have perpetuated myths and out-of-date information purely due to laziness of one kind or another. Sometimes it’s interesting to ask awkward questions just to see what the selfappointed experts come out with. Some will emit a stream of verbal diahorrea rather than admit to not knowing the answer, whereas true adept will probably say "I

Oven-Ready Chaos haven’t a f*****g clue." Quite early on, Chaos magicians came to the startling discovery that once you strip away the layers of dogma, personal beliefs, attitudes and anecdotes around any particular technique of practical magick, it can be quite simply described.

1. Technical Excellence. One of the early misconceptions about Chaos Magick was that it gave practitioners carte blanche to do whatever they liked, and so become sloppy (or worse, soggy) in their attitudes to self-assessment, analysis, etc. Not so. The Chaos approach has always advocated rigorous self-assessment and analysis, emphasised practice at what techniques you’re experimenting with until you get the results that you desire. Learning to ‘do’ magick requires that you develop a set of skills and abilities and if you’re going to get involved in all this weird stuff, why not do it to the best of your ability?

2. Deconditioning. The Chaos paradigm proposes that one of the primary tasks of the aspiring magician is to thoroughly decondition hirself from the mesh of beliefs, attitudes and fictions about self, society, and the world. Our ego is a fiction of stable self-hood which maintains itself by perpetuating the distinctions of ‘what I am/what I am not, what I like/what I don’t like’, beliefs about ones politics, religion, gender preference, degree of free will, race, subculture etc all help maintain a stable sense of self, whilst the little ways in which we pull against this very stability allows us to feel as though we are unique individuals. Using deconditioning exercises, we can start to widen the cracks in our consensual reality which hopefully, enables us to become less attached to our beliefs and egofictions, and thus able to discard or modify them when appropriate.

3. Diverse Approaches. As mentioned earlier, ‘traditional’ approaches to magick involve choosing one particular system and sticking to it. The Chaos perspective, if nothing else, encourages an eclectic approach to development, and Chaos Magicians are free to choose from any available magical system, themes from literature, television, religions, cults, parapsychology, etc. This approach means that if you approach two chaos magicians and ask 'em what they’re doing at any one moment, you’re rarely likely to find much of a consensus of approach. This makes Chaos difficult to pin down as one thing or another, which again tends to worry those who need approaches to magick to be neatly labelled and clear.

4. Gnosis. One of the keys to magical ability is the ability to enter Altered States of Consciousness at will. We tend to draw a distinct line between ‘ordinary consciousness’ and ‘altered states’, where in fact we move between different states of consciousness - such as daydreams, ‘autopilot’ (where we carry out actions without cognition) and varying degrees of attention, all the time. However, as far as magick is concerned, the willed entry into intense altered states can be divided into two poles of ‘Physiological Gnosis’ - Inhibitory states, and Excitatory states. The former includes physically ‘passive’ techniques such as meditation, yoga, scrying, contemplation and sensory deprivation while the latter includes chanting, drumming, dance, emotional and sexual arousal.

I know there a few topics on Chaos magick but i was wondering if these 6 principles is generally what Chaos magick is about.

16 Likes

Kind of, in terms of how they approach things.

4 Likes

Depends on which chaos magickian you ask, lol. My personal opinion is that chaos magick is simply magick that is sourced and serviced as a result of the human condition. But this encompasses A LOT of what is found in other systems. Tulpas, egregores, the utilization of sigils (even spirit sigils), man-made gods and cryptid sightings (some, anyways) all fall into chaos magick.

4 Likes

Bumping as a relevant Topic…
:stars:

If I want to start applying this Today in Israel…
What should I do?
@Onion @Twilight_Dragon

1 Like

Exactly as op mentioned tbh. It shouldn’t be that different but Taylor it to your style of magick

1 Like

I don’t really do Magick, as in the books,
I just talk to the spirits and they listen and I fight entities, again, Verbally.

I also use Nature and Man Made Objects…

I’m interested in Invoking the Outer Darkness, the Knox,
And dealing with Choronzon, the demon of Time…

2 Likes

I don’t do magick by the books much either :joy::joy::joy:

Just apply what you seek with the information you have.

1 Like

The books are old,
Magick is Dynamic:
it is influenced by Time - day of the week, time of the day, behaviour of people in your surroundings, and other variables…

2 Likes

Point 4: Deconditioning is similar to, but not necessarily as brutal or dangerous as putting a zap on your head. With time being short, I recommend head zapping techniques because these open you up to possibilities while alienating you from the herd.

Al.

2 Likes

The best of the best :star_struck:

You have high Standards

Continue the excellent work

:dragon:

2 Likes