Pop-occultism

This sounds a bit like an oxymoron (given that it most literal cognate is popular, well-known, hidden knowledge) but it seems to me that, in studying the occult starting with less-known theories and so forth, it seems to be that certain topics are better understood than others.

This includes;

• Ouija boards
  • A literal belief in Satan, Lucifer or the Devil as described in the Bible
  • Spirit (demon) procession
  • Guardian Angels
  • Potions and Kitchen witchery (often negative connotations)
  • Wands (Harry Potter)
  • Mystic powers (Yoga-based most common)
  • Poppets (Voodoo dolls)

70%-80% of the time many of the people who know about occult knowledge are god-obeyers who want to think their world is more fantastical than the reality they have imprinted themselves in. This is not to say that Ouija is rubbish, rather the techniques of popular Ouija communication are very limiting and specific in ways that donā€™t help anyone attempting to use them. In other words, since people are conditioned to believe in ghosts or Satan being the only beings to talk through the boards, and often are taught this in a Christian context, they believe subconsciously that only harm can come from this ā€œdabblingā€.

Personally even though I donā€™t reject Ouija boards or the possibility of certain spirits existing (in theory, all spirits plausible can and do exist, even if only mentally), I get really sick of pop-occult stuff because itā€™s dosent feel like the real, honest thing. Especially when presented in an American pseudo-Christian perspective or a watered-down Wicca cult practice. (Christianity and Wicca themselves arenā€™t terrible religions, however the former lies to make deciples afraid and the latter is based on all-light-Goddess faith that, although isnā€™t dogmatic, is very narrowing in scope).

Whatā€™s your opinions on pop-occultism and other things youā€™ve noticed?

4 Likes

I had a very bad experience with ouija when I was younger - in hindsight I think it was an astral shell latching on to me. I do agree the JC tradition inflicted my life at the time. I do, however, still have misgivings about the ouija - if you have an innate ability you can draw in al kinds of dross, and very easily. No, I donā€™t think these are demons in the JC sense, but they can still do a lot of harm.

4 Likes

I think pop occultism is an interesting phenomenon, but overall it is a good thing. It serves to blunt the publicā€™s perception of the occult to a more acceptable level. Just consider that this is the first time in thousands of years that you can openly possess a Ouija board or a black book without having to worry about being burned at the stake. Much of that is due to pop occultism, especially popularized by folks like Madame Blavatsky.

Also, I think many dabblers who graduate to actual practitioners get their interest piqued by pop occultism. I can honestly say that is the way with me. In the early 90ā€™s a 13 year old boy buys a copy of the Simon Necronomicon. Why? Because he heard about it in one of his popular fiction novels (yes, Lovecraft has been bumped to pop culture at this point in history. They read him in public schoolsā€¦). Thus begins a long journey, from knowing nothing, to dabbling, to experimentation, to daily practice, to whatever is going on now.

So overall, I would say pop occultism can be a good thing if appreciated in context.

7 Likes

People usually tell me my interest in magick is because i watch too many horror and fantasy movies. With me its more like they are imitating my life or some experience i had in a past. Anything having to do with spirits or spirits coming through.

I used to take my grandmothers empty spice bottles and put different pebbles and plant clippings and pretend like i was making spells. Looking back on that its like a giant neon sign going off saying WITCH

I would usually find there were underlying truths. I would look for books at the library about magick but all Id find were the trendy teen witch books. Okay, i did watch buffy, angel, charmed, supernatural and sabrina the teenage witch.I did find chapters on sheilding in the teen books helpful and introductions to a pagan worldview.

4 Likes

I was always trying to do telepathy and to control animals and people, ESP as well. Definitely have an idea of when you are born knowing these things. Everyone tells me I am remembering not learning. I know what you mean.

3 Likes

I keep going on about banishing rituals and their importance, but few take note. I use a consecrated Seal under the Ouija board and a pendulum. Alternatively, place a sign out the front of your house advising that they first person to step into your place will be 100% obeyed and respected - because thatā€™s how most use a Ouija board.

Al.

4 Likes

100% true. I suggest banishing on a regular basis (situation appropriate, of course) and everybody swears they never need them. That tells me there are a handful of seasoned practitioners who could if they wish and a majority who have not yet had a really nasty experience. Lol, good luck to them, I like to speak softly and carry a big stick when it comes to banishing. I am a fan.

3 Likes

Funny, I entered the Occult from the East.

When I was 11 I converted to Taoism and it was through my studies of Taoism that I ended up in the Occult at the age of 13.

5 Likes

Iā€™m catholic and practice magicā€¦
Any questions?

3 Likes

How do you deal with the prohibitions of magic by Catholic leadership, especially as defined in the Catechism?

When you go to the Sacrament of Confession, do you confess your witchcraft? If not, does this mean your actually a heretic because you donā€™t confess what the Church teaches in this manner?

Are you aware that heresy is one of the crimes for which latae sententiae (by the act) excommunication is a punishment according to the Code of Canon Law?

Edit: I donā€™t mean this negatively at all. Iā€™m legitimately curious.

2 Likes

I use ā€œmagicā€ as a broad basket catch all term" (Notice i never at the ā€˜Kā€™) People have to years argued, ā€œpraying to God IS magicā€ and I donā€™tā€™ have enough evidence or knowledge to argue against them. because the word ā€œmagicā€ is far to broad to narrow down into a single concept, here is itā€™s definition

ā€œthe power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forcesā€

That sums it up for me.

Good question. Let me answer it with this one. in the RHP. the ā€œArtistsā€ ((I like that term better honestly)) Evoke the power of Angels, Saints and other ordained and sacrificed patrons, does this seem familiar? Catholics do this all the time, The evoke a patron saint of ā€œXā€ for ā€œYā€

Catholicism is, arguably, quasi polytheistic. It places the Lord on the Top, but calls upon lesser ā€œbeingā€ for more mundane affairs.

To answer the question more directly, I do not confess this form of ā€œmagicā€ because it is not a sin. In fact,Catholicism, is the one Christian foundation religion that ā€œencouragesā€ spiritual gifts. The circle that initiated meā€¦they are Catholic.

As it is with most religions yes. I Do not perform rites in the name of any other being out side my faith, you find find this limiting and to a point so do I. But Iā€™m within the 'jurisdiction" of my faith, as much as a cop out as that may sound

3 Likes

Itā€™s no more limiting than the way some of us refuse to work with certain currents, whether angelic, or Abrahamic, or some other current we just donā€™t ā€œgetā€ or donā€™t find ourselves drawn to - mortal life is about standing for something, which means not standing for (and therefore, limiting) other things. :thinking:

2 Likes

Thank you for your explanation. So, you would consider your practices to be extensions of your Catholic faith. Interesting.

I used to be Catholic so I have a definitive grasp on the faith.

Another question, do you evoke angels and saints? Or do you just approach them through prayer?

The latter

1 Like

Taoism has a branch of Magick.

Al.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m aware, thatā€™s how I ended up in the Occult.

I have personally seen the fuck ups that come from not being able to successfully banish. That said, the road of Magick is littered with corpses and derelicts, so a few more wonā€™t matter.

Al.

1 Like

At least you werenā€™t Muslim

1 Like

Brother,

The Tao Te Ching. I have studied it, off and on, for years. I hate it, but itā€™s essential reading.
'Keep the peopleā€™s minds empty and their bellies full.'
Pass the KFC and Coca-Cola. Hasnā€™t that Weather Girl got nice tits?

Al.

1 Like