Poll Question: Stone Altars

Something hit me this morning.

I remember reading on the forums a few days ago. Someone mentioned having an alter for a spirit that another member had sold or summoned to them, long story short…

Those of you who actually use Altars for various purposes, I had a question I wanted to ask for you.

1. How important is an altar for your practices and purposes? I mean is it a regular use in what you do?

2. does it matter what the altar is made from? or it’s Size?

3. If you do use altars for various purposes, where do you get them? do you make your own or purchase them?

Much Obliged

I made mine just for daily offerings to Hecate, don’t use it for ritual. I made it out of wood (2x4’s, plywood and spray paint) and the size was determined by what I wanted to put on it. It all personal, there are no rules for an alter, that’s even if you choose to use one.

Listen to the spirit you are working with. They will tell you what they want on an altar, and if you agree and feel comfortable with their suggestions then incorporate thier suggestions.

1. How important is an altar for your practices and purposes? I mean is it a regular use in what you do?

It depends on the type of magick I’m doing, I have different altars for different purposes. I have one for benevolent workings and working toward positive goals, one for malevolent and baneful rituals and one dedicated to my ancestors. I have recently added one more in my garage that is nothing more than a small table with an altar cloth, its for ritual work for clients.

1. does it matter what the altar is made from? or it’s Size?

It only matters if it matters to you. You could go all out and make one out of corresponding woods, metal and stones of the energy/entity your working with or you can take an ikea table and put a cloth and a couple candles on it.

1. If you do use altars for various purposes, where do you get them? do you make your own or purchase them?

I make my own, usually I buy a blank piece of wood and burn seals, or other symbols into it that correspond to my goals of that particular altar. Lay that on top of a table or stand I now have an altar to work from or make offerings on.

Reason I was asking is, I do Wood and stone Sculpting,. I don’t deal in metal much, but if anyone is interested could construct an altar for them.

I’d show photos, measurements and the like to show anyone who was looking to get one.