Origin of religion Sumeria! great video!

I started this thread to give us all a place to talk about the history of our Art.

5 Likes

Great video, I’ve seen this one before actually. I don’t know if you have noticed, but when archaeologists (including the one in this video) talk about the gods of an ancient civilization, they always point out the cruelty and the lack of compassion etc in their faces. I have yet to find an archaeologist that gives an actual reason for this.

In my opinion the gods of a civilization reflect the power of the people and vice versa. If I remember well, Nietzsche mentioned this as well. Now the Sumerians, where a civilization that was more or less constantly under attack by barbaric tribes and as a result they where often at war. Long story short, when your survival is at stake and you have to go to war like it or not, what spirit would you rather have by your side? A saint that turns the other cheek or Nergal? I honestly don’t know why no archaeologist mentions this.

Anyway, I think I’m off topic here. The Sumerian religious system is actually the blueprint for the later monotheistic religions and I believe that this the work of the priesthood rather than the gods themselves. What I mean by this, is that we can clearly see that they were arguably the first to abuse their status as the “middlemen” of the gods for their personal gain and since the Sumerian culture was so influential it comes as no surprise that others followed their example. So, maybe we can assume the outlawing of magick actually began then? I’m not sure about that, but it’s an assumption that I made after reading about the Sumerian religion. I would like to hear your opinions about this.

3 Likes

I get it, the jews etc stole these myths and added their jehova slant.

Haha nice.

2 Likes