On the nature of Will and Authority

Will - the desire/force that can be applied towards tasks/goals/manifestations.

Authority - essentially the priority or level of influence of a person when they are enacting their Will within The All.

With that out of the way, now I can truly begin.

Will is the force through which desires are made manifest, through which choices are made, through which actions are committed, through which fears are created and destroyed. Everything has Will. A rock on the ground’s will is to be a rock of that particular form, shape, and makeup. A rock doesn’t care if a person kicks it aside or throws it through a window. A bird’s Will is to fly, eat, reproduce, and follow it’s basic instincts. A person’s (or any sapient being) Will is a bit more complex, because of self-awareness and conscious thought. As a base, everything has the same strength or ability of Will, but some Will can supersede other Will.

The act of a Will superseding another Will is Authority. A rock and a bird have the same will, but the person who picks up the rock and throws it at the bird has more Authority than either. In accordance with the fundamental rules of physics, a rock thrown that hits a bird, with sufficient force, will impact trauma upon the bird. The application of natural laws can change the levels of Authority when opposing Wills interact.

When a person calls upon a spirit, a similar situation of Wills interacting occurs. Depending on the circumstances, a person will have either less, equal, or greater Authority than the being they interact with, depending on virtually infinite variables. It’s why when a person just jokingly calls out ‘god damn it’ or something similar, nothing really happens. The lack of Authority (or the lack of Will because the person isn’t really applying their Will) prevents anything from actually happening. If a person calls a spirit with a higher Authority, that spirit can choose whether or not to answer, and if they do answer, the context of that answer.

By focusing your Will on a single point of focus, regardless of what that focus is, you slightly increase your Authority. A focused person playing a video game usually does better than someone who isn’t really paying attention.

Back to the calling of spirits, if a person calls upon a spirit and has the same level of Authority, it’s no different than talking to a random stranger on the street. Both are equally beholden to the other, and any actions taken are done at the Will of both parties involved.

If a person calls a spirit and has greater Authority, the spirit is beholden to the person who called upon them, where the being who’s Authority supersedes the other can command the lesser Authority.

How this pertains to spiritual practices, and how it can be applied, is quite interesting. As I already stated, greater focus on a singular point of focus can temporarily increase Authority. As a practitioner, you can take this a step further, Meditation and the use of trance states can temporarily increase your Authority further than simply focusing on a task.

Then there’s borrowing Authority. If you serve a being with great Authority, while working within their Will, you can apply a portion or all of their Authority depending on how much Authority they let you borrow. A police officer has more Authority than a civilian, but only because the Judicial system lends it’s own Authority to the officer. How you can take advantage of borrowing Authority in a spiritual context, besides pacts with spirits, is pretty simple. You can petition spirits to temporarily grant you their Authority. There are other methods too, such as the Bornless/Headless rite, where you essentially directly petition The All.

Naturally, as you interact with spirits and beings, you can gradually and semi-permanently increase your Authority, just by being acknowledged by them. To go a step further, you can bind spirits you hold Authority over (even if it’s just temporary or borrowed Authority), and it will Increase your inherent natural Authority that you have when not using methods to temporarily increase it.

I write this from the point of view of a non-kabbalistic Hermetic practitioner, who started his path as a chaos magic practitioner. Most spiritual paths, from this perspective, are based around either Increasing your own Authority, or using the Authority you already have to apply your Will to the world around you.

I know some people might not agree with this explanation, and that is their right, I simply wanted to share this and get other people’s thoughts on this subject.

13 Likes

I agree the subtle differences in conciousness , expression change how the outer world interacts with us . Depending on your programming and energy everyone gets a different piece of the pie of the infinite based on what the hologram lets them interact with

2 Likes

Great explanation, it is sort of the reason I am an animist. That rock, I truly believe, has a life as vivid and fascinating as mine. And this gets to my question, do you think of authority as being flat?

So, for instance, me being able to pick up a rock and kill a bird with it demonstrates my higher authority over both, but what of we were to apply the same situation with the same entities on another plane or in another state of being?

In your mind, does authority on Earth mean authority everywhere? I guess I dont know how you feel about the existence of other planes or realities. I believe authority like you put it is very important, but I think it is circumstantial to some degree. You might reign over the bird and the rock here, but somewhere else you might find its the opposite.

Edit: just want to say I always enjoy reading your opinions and points of view, especially as a chaos mage who thinks im being dragged to hermeticism also.

2 Likes

And a little off topic but an example I found interesting of how drastic differences in programming and states of conciousness are , a good example is trump . The man talks about loving McDonald’s and eating it often and he does while trying to run a country at 74 years old and he sleeps like 6 hours a night ! 99.8% of the population would feel pretty fucked in that situation.

I guess just an example of how will , programming and conciousness overtake the external

2 Likes

It’s Authority within the frame of The All. The All is literally everything, including what isn’t. Authority is across All things and planes, but the idea of temporary Authority can work as the inverse, where something actively suppresses your Authority. Like in the case of someone being cursed.

3 Likes

Excellent :blush:
Thank you for writing this up

2 Likes

I don’t know why you deleted that, but I agree, on borrowing authority, and what happens, changes that makes, is it like the badge an officer wears, or something deeper, can will be borrowed?

2 Likes

Will can be compounded, by having multiple people directing their Will all together towards a single goal.

But the compounding of Will isn’t just for sapient beings, but that rock for example, where it sits on the ground, the temperature of the rock, what color it is, all are influenced by the Will of various natural laws. So when the Will of multiple things are all directed to a single outcome, they compound. It’s almost like chaos theory, specifically about complex systems.

I’d like to think there’s really just one Will that everything taps into; that being the Will of The All.

4 Likes

Although if I really think about it, it’s not so much Will being compounded, so much as Authorities being stacked, since all the Wills are being applied to the same outcome.

1 Like

How do you get a stronger connection to the will of the All?

I know 2 years before joining here, I joked about myself to never judge a book by it’s cover, and don’t confuse me for a book, cause at least a book has a spine.

1 Like

You mean the Authority of The All right? Your Will is already the Will of The All, because you are a part of The All.

I’m kinda coming up with this as I write it to a degree. A lot of this is intuitive.

3 Likes

I withdraw my question

1 Like

About a year back i wrote a spell I called the “Declaration of Lawful Might”, you might want to look into doing something like that.

Edit: give me a moment and if its not too off topic ill post it in here.

2 Likes

I already listed several examples of how to do that.

1 Like
  1. I lawfully declare!
  2. By the power of {a godhead}
  3. My right to change and transform,
  4. By my nature
  5. Decreate reality,
  6. Extend to the boundaries of my bodies,
  7. And make fate my will,
  8. This the endless bounty of my might!

Numbered because the numerology is important. Of course this is personalized to me but it can give you an idea of what it might look like.

3 Likes

You don’t (in a point of view). You are already inside of its living mind, you can’t get more connected (in a sense, of course you can in another point of view).

What I am trying to say is that you need to realize this on a deep level.

4 Likes

That’s where the difference between Will and Authority come in.

2 Likes

To clarify, this is like borrowing authority.

2 Likes

Quality post btw :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks man.

2 Likes