Nuclear Fusion Hit a Massive Milestone in Germany

Ahhh Wonderful Science.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/nuclear-fusion-hit-a-massive-milestone-in-germany?utm_source=mbfbads

Motherboard  NEWSLETTER

Nuclear Fusion Hit a Massive Milestone in Germany
Written by MOTHERBOARD STAFF
February 3, 2016 // 02:02 PM EST
This story was translated from the original published by Motherboard Germany.

The Max Planck Institute in Greifswald reached a true milestone in physics and technical engineering today right in front of German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s eyes. The brand-new reactor, an experimental stellarator design called Wendelstein 7-X, was successfully booted up to an extent where it created hydrogen plasma.

The news is not only a scientific sensation—a welcome one after building the reactor alone took 19 years and cost 1.2 billion euros. But it was the first time researchers were able to simulate the energy-producing reactions of our Sun in a laboratory setting.

Screens showing the creation of hydrogen plasma. Image: Getty
The reactor has already been reverently dubbed the “fusion reactor designed in hell” by the American media because of its sheer power. The researchers’ goals are ambitious, as Sibylle Günter, director of the Institute for Plasma Physics, reemphasized today. “We want to utilize the energy of the stars," she said.

At 3:22 PM, Angela Merkel finally flipped a special switch set up for her, starting the countdown to the experiment. About a minute later, the actual flash of the first-ever hydrogen plasma created in a controlled setting flickered on a monitor in the control room.

The monitor shows the countdown and status of the reactor. All images: MPI / Screenshot Motherboard.

Images of the hydrogen plasma from the inside of the reactor.
Günter guided Merkel through the reactor, pointing out right after the experiment just how special the reactor’s capabilities are. “The Wendelstein reactor is actually developed enough to be able to sustain the reaction for half an hour, but we didn’t want to risk anything and so we only created the plasma for a split second this time," Günter said.

For several minutes after the experiment, Merkel had researchers explain what conclusions can be drawn from the creation of plasma and what they’d been looking at on the monitors. The chancellor, who also holds a doctorate in physics, was visibly curious when asking the researchers questions in the control room.

Merkel has everything explained to her in detail in the control room.
In order to create the plasma, a mixture of electrons and atomic nuclei were heated to 80 million degrees celsius in a vacuum ring made of 425 tons of superconducting magnets, with the help of a two-megawatt-strong pulse, as the Max Planck Institute explained a press release. The magnets were constructed out of 50 specially-formed spools and were cooled down to near-absolute zero (-237 degrees celsius), while the magnetic fields kept the fuel suspended.

“Wendelstein 7-X is a fantastic example of cutting edge research made in Germany. And maybe when we look back one day, we’ll talk about this as science’s finest hour,” said Merkel with evident enthusiam before the experiment started. She ended her speech on scientific research, which she was visibly comfortable giving, with the grand appeal to “tame the sun’s fires.”

TOPICS: nuclear fusion, fusion, energy, Max Planck Institute, physics, germany, Wendelstein 7-X

Contact Motherboard by email.
You can reach us at [email protected]. Want to see other people talking about Motherboard? Check out our letters to the editor.
RECOMMENDED

Fusion Power Is a Bit Closer, Claims Mysterious Energy Startup

An Alternative Approach to Nuclear Fusion: Think Smaller

The Most Massive Stellarator Ever Built Could Change the Face of Nuclear Fusion

America’s Underdog Fusion Experiment Is Closing In on the Nuclear Future

Malware Found Inside Downed Ukrainian Grid Management Points to Cyberattack

At Paris Climate Talks, Young Activists Share What Dystopia Feels Like

MOST POPULAR

Online Psychics Never Saw Me Coming

How ‘ASCII Matrix’ Survived 490 Times Longer than the Average Torrent

NSA’s Hacker-in-Chief: We Don’t Need Zero-Days To Get Inside Your Network

How Massively Successful Kickstarters Ultimately Fail

© 2016 Vice Media LLC
About ContactPrivacy PolicyTerms of Use

1 Like

Too bad it didn’t suck her into a black hole.

Merkel is a worthless pig.

Nice find! Wonder why the mainstream news here isn’t covering it.

Alot of these articles I get (along with the many versions of Model Women) come from those multiple daily Facebook posts you get. So it isnt mainstream media…but every once in awhile I get something that is an interesting read. All I could think was when I saw this was “I wonder when they’ll come out with a Starship with some HYPER-DRIVE and Reactor Core.” Imagine modernizing transportation to where they have miniature powerplants based off an advanced version of this or something like it. Heck, I know for a fact that all Mundane things are somehow Linked to Occult ritual, I was trying to imagine how they could utilize such a thing for a Big Magickal Dragon Spells =p

An ugly worthless pig.She looks like shit

Well…the Hot Babe in this Article is the Technology itself =p. I was trying to imagine what an A.I. and its other components would consist of if hooked upnto this…and alsonehat the Holographic and female Android form would look like.

Maybe we got Merkel all wrong?

“Germany welcomes unlimited asylum seekers” - last year.

“Germany unveils new form of unlimited combustible fuel” - this year.

I mean, they have the form for it! :o)

I was just reading another article on how a large groupnof Germans were protesting some TTIP trade agreement thing that Obama is pushing for. What are peoples thoughts on thisnif you know ehat Im talking about?

There’s a good article with the main objections listed here: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

I personally agree with all of those concerns, and think it’s a terrible idea.

Me too. Personally and this isnt merely in Jest I feel a “Lynch Mob” brewing to hang this version of the Anti-Christ.

Trade agreements are never JUST about trade - the EU started out being sold to voters as “the common market” and about opening up trade, and look what it’s turned into - totally farcical rights handed to foreign nations to dictate everything.

We’re lucky to have a mostly GM-free food supply, and high standards for pesticide use etc., whereas the FDA basically rubber-stamps every drug and cosmetic that crosses its path, and the ability this would give to private corporations to sue elected governments, and by so doing remove taxpayer’s money that should be funding essential services, is fucking obscene.

Too bad it didn’t suck her into a black hole.[/quote]
A black hole can’t hold so much beauty…And no i’m not ironic.Just look at this awesome hairstyle and blue lake eyes.
Top Model 2016

Too bad it didn’t suck her into a black hole.[/quote]
A black hole can’t hold so much beauty…[/quote]

Actually, there is a Theory that on the otherside of a Blackhole is a White Hole, where there is a possibility a universe or Star systems could exist within Blackholes. What if Blackholes are actually Super-Wormhole Jumpgates to distant systems created by a very technogically advanced race?

Just food for thought…but yeah she isnt that pretty. I wouldnt compare her to a Blackhole though, because some of the nastiest people can be beautiful people whom are like Blackholes sucking your very existence out! Imagine all the Beautiful people in the world are like Blackholes sucking out Drons brains and turning him (or her?) into a happy love slave swx slave of a happy puppy dog. Ok I think you get my point.

Pretty or not, give her credit - she’s managed to fuck an entire continent!

Yep. Well when people become Super Selfish they can do some pretty crazy things. Makes me wonder what “her thing” is for whatever her big dream is.

A disjointed community with no sense of cultural identity, pride, or cohesion, with simmering resentments and fear on all sides, where a lot of people are willing to take any level of wages and living conditions because they’re just grateful not to be shelled to smithereens.

Any rise in crimes and terrorism is a bonus, because people throw away hard-win freedoms if they’re afraid enough.

So is justifying cutting back on welfare and healthcare, on the basis people think the immigrants are taking more than their share, which they also usually do, having larger families and having come from conditions of prolonged social upheaval and (often) second-rate dental and healthcare compared to western Europe.

She kinda looks like Donald Trump but Trump wouldn’t allow the whole middle east into his country.

“She’s ruining Germany.” --Donald Trump

“People like Chancellor Merkel have taken a very courageous stance in saying it is our moral obligation as fellow human beings to help people who are in such vulnerable situations”–Bark Obama

Lefties have got to be marginilized otherwise they will be the death of quality of life for us all…

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:10, topic:7137”]There’s a good article with the main objections listed here: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

I personally agree with all of those concerns, and think it’s a terrible idea.[/quote]

Well, here’s one person’s form of protest in New Zealand. :slight_smile:

! No longer available

The United States actions of self interest are behind much of the misery on this planet in the 21st century, narcissistic bloated pig of a nation. Our reckless actions in the Middle East due to our own economic interests led to this migrant flood in Europe that short sighted idiots like Merkel are perpetuating. Don’t get me started. I’m suddenly realizing how much better off the world would be in the 21st century if the US no longer existed.