Neofolk/Dark Folk Music Thread

1 Like

@A_Pariah I’m curious, are there any Dark Folk songs that you feel really fits the essence of any particular system of magick you practice, or makes you think of certain Demons, Angels etc. ? I often get feelings like that from Dark Folk, would be cool to hear your experiences if you have had any experiences like that. And also anyone else who reads this!

1 Like

@Dankquanicus if I had to choose a song, it would be this one

If I should start to explain the “Why” and “How” I would end up in an awfully longwided monologue, but this one is like the “essence” of what I am currently doing and what I think I am and where I am going at this point.
What about you?

Edit:
If I had to pick something that would remind me of a spirit, I would say it is this song:

1 Like

Damn that is a nice song from Rome! I get very intense feelings from it, which are hard to describe. So that is very interesting, and a powerful statement. Although what are you currently doing?

I’m really not sure what song would fit what I’m doing currently. I really can’t think what would, although I did some divination by randomly selecting a song to represent my current magickal path and it landed on this :joy:

But for a spirit or magickal ‘current’, this song has given me the strongest impression:

I feel it captures the ‘essence’ of the Demons of the Goetia. It feels like power, like strength, and is without regard for morals (As in, Christian guilt and code of conduct), and without judgement.

And for Angels or perhaps more often Archangels I think of this song:

I also think of it when I think of the Olympic Spirits at times, although there are other songs I’ve also thought of when I think of them, although that song is what most frequently comes to mind.

1 Like

:thinking: Maybe I will talk about it, one day (I know that is an absolute asshole answer but I’m not having all pieces quite together and I hate unfinished work).

I really like this song, it is one of my DIJ faves (probably because it sounds like it gets “out of hand” at some point, although it doesn’t. Maybe your path looks similar? :smiley: )

I’ve listened to this song on heavy rotation when I was much younger and after reading your description I think to myself that maybe it was an early hint towards something after all :smiley:

1 Like

That’s okay! I understand :slight_smile: would definitely be interested to hear in the future when it is finished. If you choose to speak of it.

It’s a very interesting song! I don’t often listen to the more heavy works like that from Death in June and Current 93 but I quite like that song. And yes that is what first came to mind, that my path is a bit ‘all over the place’ in a way currently.
When I asked what would describe my path in the future, I got this song:

I can definitely see it, I’ve had similar sort of feelings from magick in the past. I also plan to work more with Damon Brand’s ‘Mystical Words of Power’ in the near future, and I’ve had experiences with it in the past which gave a feeling similar to that song.
Do you ever use divination in this manner?

Ahh it can definitely be! I feel it is a very powerful song, at least to my interpreation. I really like that EP from them, and that song is probably my favorite Dark Folk song.

1 Like

I absolutely do and sometimes I’ve felt kinda stupid because of this :exploding_head:

1 Like

Not at all, I think it’s a very nice and mystical form of divination, and a lot of fun! Although I’ve never used it extensively. I’ve seen it as a way to receive omens at times when it felt like the boundaries between my mind and the outside world broke down in a way (Magick tends to do that to me).

2 Likes

I’ve discovered that the messages tend to get weird as soon as I’ll try to ask a really direct question (ooorrrr maybe I am simply missing the profound wisdom of “Wannabe” from the Spice Girls or “Africa” from Toto). But it served me really well the last couple of months, so I would say that it’s a reliable divination tool :smile:

2 Likes

:joy: yes it can definitely be weird at times! Although the answer can also come from how you feel from a certain song as well as the lyrics. Of course it depends on what you choose to focus on. But brings back some memories of Bibliomancy using a dictionary lol.

You could also make a playlist dedicated to divination that you feel encompasses a wide enough range of human experiences to answer any question and then use that. Although it removes some of the mysticism.

1 Like

I’ve actually created a still growing playlist for divination alone (although its also a lit mixtape for cruising around or drinking by yourself). I also use websites with the good old “random” button (although there aren’t many of them around, these days) and I use plain radio stations, so the latter ones are probably the main reason for songs that are mocking me or my question :sweat_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

Its morning and you started with Neofolk already? :tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

2 Likes

starting your day with Neofolk is a morning routine for the rich and successful and good looking people.
(lel)

2 Likes

I really like his live versions as well. He gets really into it.

1 Like

Seeing Matt Howden live is an impressive experience (he also did an awesome live quarantine concert a few days ago, its on YT now)

1 Like