"Natural" Magick -- Does It Always Work?

E.A. mentioned that in Voudo he was not initiated, but instead was told to walk out into the desert with rum and cornmeal, and find the Legba.
He later mentions it was a much more “natural” way to come across Voudo.
Would this work in other currents, such as Lovecraftian magick or Druidry?
I imagine one could easily take a sword, a solomonic circle, and a crystal, walk out into a luscious forest, and summon Raphael.

3 Likes

While I certainly like the romance of that idea, Raphael and the other Archangels had zero problem coming to me when I called them in my apartment with me wielding a $1 ritual “butcher knife” (that was anchored to my astral Sword of Silver Flame).

If you feel called to perform an act to connect with a spirit, by all means do it if that is what you want. Magick just doesn’t have to be complicated to work.

6 Likes

This is precisely how my magick works. I am entirely self-taught and self described, and I am entirely NOT a ceremonialist.

My mentor’s advice was always “try it and see.” She and I are very scientifically minded, and the mindset of experimentation runs very deep. So, try it and see :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Does anything always work?

2 Likes

I practice a form of magick that is basically unknown to the world.

In my case, it was exactly as E.A. described. There was no initiation. There exists nobody who can initiate me, in any case.

So I had to find it myself.

And doing so is the most rewarding experience I believe could have came from this.

To anyone who wishes to follow in my footsteps, my advice to you is this.

There is an incredibly ancient power, around us at all times. Feel its presence. Seek to know it.

6 Likes

Some of the most profound conversations I have with spirits take place while I am out on walks, rather than in ritual.

5 Likes

Likewise.

3 Likes

Sometimes when watching TV as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most profound I had was while I was feeding my dogs, but it doesn’t rly count.

1 Like

Basically anytime the mind is quieted and still. Walks are especially potent for me in this regard… When I am taking in the lush greenery of the forest and grass, I am filled with a love and appreciation for nature and life.

Those moments are when spirits are chatty as hell lol

5 Likes

Oh yeah, srsly.

1 Like

Assuming the spirits themselves have instructed you to these ends, yes, it should be more likely to work.

However, currents are a very real force with different mechanisms of facilitating their energy. In order to utilize the full potential of a current, you will need to use its tools- assuming they have a true magical purpose.

3 Likes

I constructed my own methods as a child, when I didn’t even realise magick (with a k) was a real thing, that real people did - later, I found that most of them resembled ancient traditions, such as shamanic trances, and also priestly roles of evoking an entity into an aimage.

So yes, you can find your own way, it will often resemble what people in the past did, but maybe before it got bogged down with accretions of tradition and dead mimicry.

Someone was the first of any line, and that person’s acts are probably closer to your own inventions, guided by spirit and the wisdom within.

5 Likes

In the realm of magic, intuition, it would seem, rules. One of the reasons natural magic works is because in many cases, we think we are trying to reach out to the spirits, but in fact, many of the times, they were already working on us to build a connection. Therefore, since they approached us on non ceremonial terms, it stands to reason that they are not as tightly bound in ceremony as one might think.

Some of TheE best contacts I have ever had with spirits were with non traditional ceremonial methods.

Now, the contrary point… even though NaturaL magic works, there is something to be said about sitting under the leadership of someone that is a seasoned magician and figuring out how to improve on what you have. It’s like going to a training camp for any sport…we can learn to move up to that next level of aptitude.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Yes/No. E.A. has stated that when we speak the name of a demon, that we connect to that demon. He/she/it takes knowledge of it so to speak. This is a rough paraphrase, but it is the general idea.

Key factors for contact seem to revolve around Magical Imagination (intuition/inner voice) and unction (how bad you want it) and the belief of contact-a knowing. .

With those things in place, a measure of success should be expected if consistent effort is applied. However, the more you learn the mechanics of evocation, the better the results.

3 Likes