My Celtic Adventure ... was ... Celtic sigils for evocation

@Mulberry, there are some notes, more from anthropology than literature, that there was Teutonic and Aryan mixing in their predecessors. Iow, they were mingling with the Norse in an earlier time.

The problem is that a world tree with four worlds don’t mix with norse mythology.

Well. There are several nineteenth century fiction books I have to try to make sense of, then religious or spiritual and cultural texts. Can’t be an expert overnight.

Maybe you should avoid trying to synchronize religons until you have studied more?
Focus on the celtic religon and culture itself and avoid all references to norse/germanic religon

I will pray on that.
No, seriously, I am studying more than one thing at a time. Celtic Magic and some webpages sparked the idea.
I use tarot to divine. So this is why I reference tarot. I also use it for active and passive meditation. Other than watching clouds and a bit of astrology I know no divination system.

What else … yeah, Qabalah may not belong, but there is astrology of trees, and there is a need to hierarchically file the deities into their own area. This is a bit more tedious with humans breeding in between, among living gods.

It’s a bit of a leap from there to assume that the Celts adopted Yggdrasil, the Tree of Wyrd, but they did shamanicaly travel the three worlds…

Celtic tree lore is very interesting and rich, and you can get a lot of it from studying the Ogham (pronounced “OH am”).

You might be interested in that… Pathworking all the trees, and come to think of it, learning what each tree teaches might be the closest you get in Celtic revival lore to what you’re looking for in terms of following a compatmentalsed or modular approach to inner work and self reflection, as seen in the kabalah.

You can get some great books discussing Celtic lore, Druidry and tree magick that would help with this.

This one is famous and widely regarded:

This one goes in depth on tree magick and you can use it to pathwork the trees:

This one is a little harder to get into but very thought provoking

https://www.amazon.com/Mist-Filled-Path-Celtic-Wanderers-Seekers/dp/1577312112/ref=pd_bxgy_2/138-3056634-1473201?pd_rd_w=FVMVI&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=2860V9GTWSQH12VKK025&pd_rd_r=f38edb56-d13b-4225-9eef-a087d3ab8429&pd_rd_wg=zqfBM&pd_rd_i=1577312112&psc=1

1 Like

Appreciate it. When I have any money to buy books, will get them.
I’m looking for free resources for research on the Celtic goddesses, for the time being.

It would be interesting to know more about the nine sorceresses from Gloucester I the Mabnogion, unfortunately it doesn’t seem to say much.

Do you you have any public libraries near you? They are an often overlooked resource for free material?

1 Like

Great idea @mulberry, thanks - will check them out.

1 Like

From Gods and Fighting Men, and my issue with some of the literature, where the deities and ancestral lines get muddy, or altogether incorrect, so we do not have a complete history. Add to that the cultural way, of oral teaching and it gets harder to keep it alive.

Gods and Fighting Men, preface by W B Yeats:
“It is certain that we must not confuse these kings, as did the mediaeval chroniclers, with those half-divine kings of Almhuin. The chroniclers, perhaps because they loved tradition too well to cast out utterly much that they dreaded as Christians, and perhaps because popular imagination-had begun the mixture, have mixed one with another ingeniously, making Finn the head of a kind of Militia under Cormac MacArt, who is supposed to have reigned at Teamhair in the second century, and making Grania, who travels to enchanted houses under the cloak of Aengus, god of Love, and keeps her troubling beauty longer than did Helen hers, Cormac’s daughter, and giving the stories of the Fianna, although the impossible has thrust its proud finger into them all, a curious air of precise history. It is only when we separate the stories from that mediaeval pedantry, as in this book, that we recognise one of the oldest worlds that man has imagined, an older world certainly than we find in the stories of Cuchulain, who lived, according to the chroniclers, about the time of the birth of Christ. They are far better known, and we may be certain of the antiquity of incidents that are known in one form or another to every Gaelic-speaking countryman in Ireland or in the Highlands of Scotland.”

About to start reading: The Religion of the Ancient Celts

By J. A. MacCulloch

[1911]

So Dagda and Boand were the parents of the gods. In K/Celtic lands, goddesses had equal footing with gods, and it was very animistic and hero driven in the myths, many battles and raids.
The god Dagda, god of growth and fertility, mated with Boand the river goddess, and from them several children were born including Danu.

On the “Golden Dawn shit”, perhaps then explain to me why there are numerous pathworkings with Celtic characters, middle pillar and LBRP variations? Perhaps it a universal tool?
And on tarot, I use it to divine and scry, it doesn’t have to be there but it helps me.
Now, I can see your point, but I’m trying to make sense of a system from a very long tenure as a neophyte.
Iow, something doesn’t click for me, so I try to make sense of it by modeling it into an existing system.
In fact, Religion of the Ancient Celts is quite possibly the best book I can study, before immersing myself into poetry, to understand the why’s.

I’m not the best person to ask about details in the Golden Dawn’s workings, sorry. I don’t work with thier system. I bought the book twice, and twice saw the blinds and obfuscations and discarded it as too much bs to be useful. I appreciate people who are honest, forthright and transparent, I don’t have much time for games. That’s why I like E.A.'s system.

1 Like

no worries :slight_smile:

Holy hell there are a lot of gods … anywhere from 35 up to 270 gods and goddesses.

A friend just gifted me three books -
Magic of the Celtic Otherworld
Wild Magick
and
Druid Power!

Read a bit of the Celtic Otherworld, fantastic book. Describes the beings in the Otherworld, some recommended for contact and some not.

Skimmed through Celtic Otherworld last night, skimming through Wild Magic this morning.