Mental illness and magick

Can someone with a severe mental illness be able to do magick? Just wondering, because sometimes my mind can be my worst enemy… Not uncommon though.

5 Likes

Yes, you can cast magick even if you have mental ailments.

5 Likes

Please use the forum’s search function in the upper right. There are many threads asking, and answering, this question. Give them a read and you may find some helpful advice.

4 Likes

Frankly, I’m fucked in the head. Magick caused a lot of this. Ipso facto, anyone who practices Magick is fucked in the head. Sanity is merely having the same sets of mental disorders as the vast majority. Whereas, if you admit to being fucked up you’ll be so far ahead of all the other “I’m not fucked up” deniers.

The society you live in is fucked up, therefore to be successful you must be fucked up. You’ve been fed a constant diet of steady bullshit since you were born and mostly by the loving spoonful. You expect to be normal after a constant diet of bullshit - from your parents, teachers, media, friends and churches?

It’s cool, because one way or another we’re all fucked up - all of us.

Al.

11 Likes

I’ve written in another post months ago. All occultists and magicians have struggled with mental illness (as everyone else has), maybe to a darker degree to where it turns angst, and edgy amongst some in particular. That dangerous kind of edginess is one I don’t like, you can pick it apart easily.

But who’s to say about the big buff guy at the gym dropping weights on the floor; walking around like he’s all “that”. Dude probably goes home and feels insecure as fuck.

We all got problems. Magick without doubt will allow you to learn. My mind is a paradise or prison for anyone. My idea of torture is regret, shame, guilt, fear, and watching your life being played right in front of you — seeing who you could’ve become if you made decided to make the right choices.

I think the biggest breakthroughs since ancient times have came from the most fucked up people. It’s high impact change, and you won’t get it from the mundane. I’m sure manic energy or hysteria could work wonders in ritual work but hey, some say that’s going a bit too much… find your balance. I’m fucked in the head and I do what I gotta do.

It’s rough these days but smooth it out. We’ll all become stories anyway in the end. Poetic and sad. Beautiful

6 Likes

Just wanted to thank you for that.
Also, Abraham was fucked up. Married his half-sister, heard voices and tried to murder his son! That turd has three religions and millions upon millions of deluded followers, so it’s not all beer and skittles - just saying.

Al.

3 Likes

I can’t like what you said enough. I think Beleth helped guide me to it, I think I may mention it in my Beleth Journal.

1 Like

Anyways I do want to add that I tend to consider myself pretty telepathic. I can’t hear others thoughts like some think it works, it is more that I am there thoughts, thoughts they often aren’t even aware that they are having. I talk to people in my head all the time, at first it was just talking to myself or so I thought, and then I noticed that it was just rehearsal to talk with people in real life that we knew or …sometimes even that we didn’t, but that we were some how sure we would meet, then I noticed that I have even more thought conversations going on than I could be consciously aware of. I noticed I could think about someone and then they would phone or that the conversation I would have in my head would start happening moments later as they would bring up things I only spoke to them in silence, but they would have no idea. I could even get people to meet me this way sometimes. Too much evidence to support this as being real to ignore. Anyways most would have no awareness. The vast majority that did have some awareness of could do telepathy with me anywhere near conscious seemed to be either people I was really close to, really psychic people or strangely, really schizophrenic people.
Why them? I’m not sure but I heard back in the day they would be considered important shamans in society, but some of them are pretty nuts as I have found with knowing them, where the magic begins and where the insanity ends has always been a strange mystery to me, I suppose that is one of the beautiful things about having such people as friends.

1 Like

I am that big dude at the gym, as are several of my friends. Something they and I (as well as most of the fighters I’ve trained with) have in common is that we were ruthlessly bullied as children and to this day have major self-esteem issues. The training and lifting is a coping mechanism to make sure our childhood traumas aren’t repeated. You’re absolutely right. Everyone is fucked up.

4 Likes

All ayes in the back for being fucked up! :+1:I agree that It makes you a better magickian, i think having experienced the full range of emotions to the extreme can build something great in you…eventually.

2 Likes

yes you can, just slowly

2 Likes

I believe anyone can, however, people with mental illnesses (depending on the mental illness) might have to try harder to discern what their mind makes up from what is actually happening. Which in the end might lead them closer to the truth then someone who doesn’t try as hard to discern the differences. When if comes to the “truth” I do believe there are more objective truths then subjective ones.

2 Likes

As long as you don’t kill yourself in the process…

2 Likes

Right now Im going through a really rough time. I haven’t had any energy to do magick let alone meditate. It’s sucking me dry. I feel like shit. I know what you are going through.

1 Like

The one who enters the dark side must have the focus, concentration, discipline and attention to detail to raise the level of coefficient required to deal with the manipulation of energies that he evokes in front of a specific ritual and in convergence with the manifestation of a deity that came to convene. As long as you have more balance / the closest to the perfect / physical, mental and spiritual consciousness will be routed to a more successful evolution and free of frustrations that lead you to put aside this fascinating world. Each one is free to do as he expresses it but there are preliminary and regulatory guidelines that cannot be ignored because it will depend on how he exposed his climbing and life of production and achievement in each step he undertakes.

1 Like

@Uncle-Al
FUCK I LOVE THIS! lol I have issues up their as well…

3 Likes

@Xendrath

ohhh dats heavy man lol

There’s a Huge problem in our culture with the definition of mental illness. The term is often inserted into situations for unethical unscientific and unhelpful reasons. I was labeled as mentally ill when I was in second grade. They thought Ritalin would make me do my spelling worksheets, and diagnosing me with ADD was the way to get Ritalin. (didn’t work)

Scientific medicine is a very good thing, but lots of stupid assholes have their M.D. Lots of institutions are willing to misuse their authority for the sake of profit. They lend credence to the argument that science is a religion.

Sometimes I call them the Industrial Inquisition.

I believe in a god who sent himself, to sacrifice himself to himself, in order to save humanity from himself – but I’m not mentally fucked up. I know that Jesus wants me for a sunbeam – a fucking sunbeam, dickhead!

Al.

1 Like