Media Inquiry About Spectrophilia (Sex with Spirits)

I just thought I would pass this along in case anyone is interested. This is part of an email to me:

My name is Taylor Prewitt and I'm a writer working on a story about spectrophilia for Mic.

I ran across your blog and noticed that you mentioned that you’ve had an experience with spectrophilia. I’d love to speak with you about it to get a better handle on the phenomenon and what it’s like.

I’m particularly interested in your experience because you say it didn’t fit into the confines of a psychologically motivated encounter.

I declined her request for an interview. Her follow-up email left the invitation open and assured me that her interest was serious, and she was not seeking to make fun or anything like that.

I’ve just kind of had it with the topic myself, but she appears to be legit. If anyone does want to speak with her for her story, I could give you her email address.

I know of someone who got the same e-mail. He declined as well. She may be legit, or she may be a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Caveat emptor.

Any writer or editor prefers to have more than one example or source for a story to lend authenticity. Contacting more than one possible source of information is standard journalistic procedure.

Some of my spirit sex stories are probably… a bit weirder then what this person is looking for.

I understand that. My comment about her being legit was about her motives and how she ultimately paints the picture of those involved in spirit relationships. I’m always suspicious of those who aren’t directly involved with the occult when they start asking questions. Sometimes it’s innocent curiousity, other times, not so much. That’s all.

I was actually supposed to get interviewed about this subject but it never went anywhere.Actually i did interviewed once over the phone from some documentary maker but i don’t know if it was even made.

I understand that. My comment about her being legit was about her motives and how she ultimately paints the picture of those involved in spirit relationships. I'm always suspicious of those who aren't directly involved with the occult when they start asking questions. Sometimes it's innocent curiousity, other times, not so much. That's all.

In her email reply, Taylor Prewitt said:

I'm genuinely interested in spectrophilia experiences and I'm not looking to write a story exposing them or making fun of them. I'm just simply exploring them further.

We can’t always know someone’s true motivations. We can only go by what they do and say and evaluate whether their actions and words seem congruent and consistent.

What about divination methpds? They’ll tell ypu whether or not she’s legit.

Or maybe I shouldn’t stick my nose in other people’s business. I have no spectrophilia stories.

What about divination methpds? They'll tell ypu whether or not she's legit.

Maybe, but the primary benefit of divination IMO is that it can give you information that you can’t obtain by mundane means. Information obtained through divination, though, still has to be verified for truth and accuracy just like information obtained from any other source. Occultists who believe that information obtained by divination methods is automatically true and accurate are making a mistake IMO.

In this case, divination might reveal information about Taylor Prewitt that could be checked out to help determine her true motivations, but I don’t believe that divination can reveal her true motivations any more than any other method can.