Look At This LUSH Spell-Working Template!

Feast your lovely eyes upon this screenie from the TV mini-series Tut, currently playing on UK’s Channel 5 (it’s online on Demand 5 too):

It’s an image of a military map of a battle, and the eye and face tiles represent troops, as with any regular military map. I’m not sure if the lighter wavy line is the Nile, a water-course, or a line of cliffs, but the overall picture is self-evident.

I leaped out my chair and made a squeaking noise when I saw it last night, and rewatched online today to get that image, it’s incredibly inspiring!

Why so, you may very sensibly ask? Well for a start it has that “as above, so below” thing found in poppet magick, sympathetic magick, and even (arguably) Tarot, I Ching & Book Of Fate, where a small object like a card or line represents coming changes to forces within the universe. The greater is reflected (foreshadowed) in the lower.

And this little baby has it all!

There’s the wording in what looks like heiratic script, above, which could easily become a statement of intent in Runic, demonic, or other sacred scripts (or just your own plain English/native script) - there’s an image of a god, presumably if used for magick one would choose a suitable image and/or seal of the entity overseeing the work, and then there are those tiles, representing the movable players involved, in a background that represents the “playing field” or “theatre of war” or whatever other context.

In a spell, these tiles could be poppets, bindrunes you’ve made of the people involved, even small photos (hello, Facebook! I knew you had to have some purpose) printed, then glued to small tiles or counters from a board game, and the background and statement could be blueprints, diagrams… oh my gods, the possibilities are endless! :smiley:

And the reason this hit so deep was that, when I was a kid (weird, lonely, all that) I actually had like a map/graph/board-game plotted out on graph paper to track the shifting alliances in the “popular kids” cliques, and for a long time I just tracked and predicted them (did I mention, weird?) but then later, just before leaving school, I began - without knowing ANY such thing as sympathetic magick existed - to manipulate them by using these same silly scraps of paper - and it worked! :slight_smile:

So, feast on this (also, if you like boys, the babester playing King Tut: it’s horribly historically inaccurate, but the sets and him are both stunning - his eyes, ye gods) and see if it has any practical applications!

Source Reading, Notes:

The ancient Egyptians appear to have had blurred lines between board games, and things that could affect reality - at least for the afterlife, and their gods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehen_%28game%29

Stephen Flowers also says, “Games of chance have always been closely related to magic. Some games evolved from divinatory rites, such as the casting or drawing of lots, and so continued to have a magical aura about them. Since ancient times, magicians have tried to influence the outcome of such games for their own benefit. The old papyri contain a few of these attempts. Such formaulas can also be adopted for any purpose in which chance or probabilities are involved.” p. 249, Hermetic Magic

It’s not hard to imagine two onlookers placing private bets on the outcome of some serious divinatory rite that involved casting lots or drawing symbols from a bag or whatever, and then taking the mechanics of that to a mundane setting, to have some fun…

1 Like

Goddamn right you’re weird. Don’t ever stop!

Seriously this is a very cool ‘strategic’ aspect that could inform and direct all kinds of sorcerous enterprises! Thanks so much for sharing this.

For anyone interested, here is a brief look at the ONA’s ‘Star Game’. The essential details are all pretty much contained in their ‘Naos’ manuscript which is public-domain just like the vast majority of their corpus. Fascinating, if you’re into that sort of thing.

http://omega9alpha.wordpress.com/the-star-game/

Hey you could also combine this idea with divination - in the same manner that positions in a Tarot spread dictate the meanings of the cards, allocate sections of a background like that to different stuff, then use cards, or marked counters of some kind… even dice. This would be really useful if you have a specific situation with lots of change, such as a corporate workplace.

I just love that picture so much! :slight_smile: