Literature on Jinn

Since dealing with Balaam I’ve been interested in the concept of Jinn and their relevance in all Western esotericism. Most of Europe’s occult traditions inherit the Aramaic family of names and entities. The demons, originally in the older grimoires, were actually labeled Jinn. (Ex: Magic of Abramelin & Picatrix)

After doing some surface research, the world of Jinn is actually really fascinating. Though in my search for English grimoire literature on them, I’ve come to find very little is actually published in the western occult scene.

Are there any books you might recommend, or is there really next to nothing, grimoire-wise?

Nothing compares to the Shams al- Ma’arif in my opinion but its only partly translated (“selected”, if you look it up from different translators. I’ve figured that relying on pre-selected translational bits will rob the reader off of some puzzle pieces and ways to comprehend the insights offered in certain books. If you can live with that you could try your hands on that one!).

If you are looking for english literature without doing the translational work I would suggest to look up Nineveh Shadrachs “Book of deadly names”. It has everything covered, from translational work of original sources to explaining ingredients and their historical usage in terms of working with Jinn, phonetic explanations of names, etc etc. Don’t let the bad taste flashy cover deceive you about its authenticity :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

After seeing some of the contents of “The Book of Deadly Names”, its actually really interesting. Recently, since I’ve been researching Jinn, it seems many of the European systems of Goetia were inherited from the Arabic world concerning Jinn and their conjurations.

1 Like

If we take a quick dive into history we will find that the concept of Jinn formed mostly in pre-islamic belief systems of ancient Arabia (for example polytheistic tribalism with their own pantheons and deities). The way these deities have been respectively worshipped and used for different areas of life (trading, travelling, protection, health, war, etc). is heavily mirrored in what we now find in better known Grimoires.

The conjuration part of Jinn has been probably formed by islamic belief systems and their scholars; always think about how Islam usurped pagan deities, folkloristic spirits, tribal entities and even ancestral spirits as “Jinn” and referred to everything outside of God and Angels and Humans as such. Jinn culture and lore differentiates heavily throughout ancient arabian geography and there wasn’t such a thing as one coherent way to conjure or to interact with them. Thats a relatively new idea, so I wouldn’t necessarily play the matching game with any of these names towards for example the spirits of the Goetia. You will find Jinn references by name in the Quran, these have been most certainly bigger tribal entities that have been worshipped before God and there is historical evidence for their worship and their place in the life of people.

Edit: if you are interested in an informative primer I would suggest to read “Legends of the Fire spirits - Jinn and Genies from Arabia to Zanzibar” by Robert Lebling! Its a light and pleasant read that guides you through the vast geographical, mythological, historical, folkloristic and religious contexts of the topic. Many references by name and area, a lot of source material mentioned as well. It gives you quite a few research ideas for further workings and its not overly academic :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for the books. (I’ll try getting ahold of them)

Do you have a lot of experience with Jinn?

1 Like

Nothing to write home about, I am working with them since somewhere in 2019 and its a slow process that is leaning more towards the learning experience in itself. As I am involved with arabic teachings in terms of magic, energy workings and shameless nerdiness I find myself crossing paths with these entities more often than not :slight_smile: I would not describe myself as experienced, though.

1 Like