Lilith, Ishtar, or Both?

It makes perfect sense when you put it that way. What’s up with the school of thought that Lilith was Inanna’s handmaid? That is a bit of a paradox if I ever heard of one.

There’s some beliefs that Lilith is a fragment of Ishtar that became it’s own being but that’s a small view.

The Sumerian pantheon consists of those neighboring groups Akkadian, Babylonian. To the akkadians Inanna is named Ishtar.

I’m under the impression that Ishtar is more likely to be a fragment of Lilith. Both of them may be a paradox of elements, but they share similar characteristics such as sex and war. I’ve tried approaching it from different angles and I can’t fault the logic.

Sumerian pantheon…Akkadian group…Babylon group…Makes me wonder if the story is the same across the board or if there is differences with the way Babylonians see Ishtar and Akkadians see Inanna. In other words, why the collision of name change?

That wouldn’t exactly make much sense as Ishtar is child of Anu/EL who is thought to be a primordial God who personified the sky/heavens. Ishtar takes after Anu as a Goddess of the sky. Whereas Lilith has no mention of being linked to Anu or a child of Anu.

However sex and war are overly common characteristics shared by many Gods, Akkadians see Ishtar the same across the board but the parentage changes which is simply another name for the same parent who is also mentioned within the different groups.

Name changes are common among different groups even within the same region, it’s no mystery that a tribe would choose to call their Gods by another name from another tribe, among other linguistic reasons.

3 Likes

That all seems to be fair. As all curiosity goes, it makes me wonder how Lilith cranked her way into Hebrew/Israel concepts. Baffles me at least.

Any concepts of ideas of ways to worship either Ishtar or Lilith? Or is that blasting more riddles on the subject?

I believe Lilith was transitioned to Israel when Yahweh was given Israel as his domain by El and the Israelites transitioned to monotheism.

As for worship I believe there’s a thread of information about Ishtar here:

1 Like

You have to look at Chronology, which is crucial here.

Lilith is Jewish, Inanna-Ishtar Sumerian-Akkadian, the two cultures are separated by thousands of years. It’s like trying to compare the Mormon prophet Joseph Smith to Jesus in terms of the time gap.

Clearly, Inanna-Ishtar came first, she was the incorporated into Judaism as the Shekinah and later into Christianity as the Holy Spirit (dove Goddess) and the Queen of Heaven.

Some link Lilith to the Sumerian Lilitu, who were malevolent, predatory female spirits that preyed on men and children, but that is tenuous at best.

Thank you tons for that. I will definitely look into it.

Since becoming a Luciferian, I’ve been hounding after information spanning multiple pantheons, noticing similarities across the cultures and pantheons, and it’s just both Ishtar/Inanna and Lilith stick out to me more than anything. It could be a means to tell me to achieve balance between light and dark energies. Sometimes that is easier said than done. Only thing I can think of is worship both equally in one fashion or another.

I was actually not aware of that much of a time gap between Inanna/Ishtar and Lilith. I just read the stories and noticed the similarities and my mind took a route all its own.

I definitely didn’t pin a line between Inanna/Ishtar and Lilith’s concepts to Christian concepts as you put it.

Why is the linking of Lilitu and Lilith tenuous at best? The logic that I read about is that Lilith is merely the Mother of the Lilitu.

I could just be on a curiosity streak and questions just breed more questions at the answers.

It’s difficult to make sense of Judeo-Christian myths, even though they are the ones we are most familiar with. Problem is, they are mostly watered-down versions of the much older Mesopotamian originals. I prefer to look at the originals, to get a fuller picture, whenever I can, though admittedly, the material is fragmented.

The Lilitu were malevolent, predatory spirits, which the Sumerians greatly feared. They certainly would not have worshipped them. Perhaps the figure of Lilith was partially based on them, but it is hard to see how such lowly spirits would have ended up as Adam’s first wife. BTW, Lilith goes back to AD 700, Inanna to well before AD 4000, probably more like AD 6000. So, Inanna’s cult is several thousand years older and existed for thousands of years before the Jews even showed up as an identifiable people.

2 Likes

Demons, the Gods of Hell . This says the Pagan Demons were corrupted by religions that came along later

1 Like

Yeah JoyOfSatan a lot of the pagan gods were given or linked to already existing demons.

I’m thinking you mean 6000 BC, 4000 BC, and 700 BC in terms of approximate times. If memory serves right, the years of BC were categorized that way after the advent of AD years.

Year concepts aside, I think it makes sense in a common sense kind of way. One of the things that I find rather interesting about Inanna’s cult is that they seemed to have perfected sacred prostitution. They cranked up sex magick in a way and at a rate that was bonkers by today’s standards.

1 Like

Personally I don’t think the time humans mentioned these beings matter, more of the beings actual parentage, Lilith does have a place in Mesopotamia as the consort of Enki. However, Ishtar being the daughter of a primordial being shows their difference. However, I don’t believe Ishtar has any aspects outside of the Mesopotamian group of pantheons outside of sharing similarities.

However, doesn’t the fact that they share similarities mean that they identify with each other? Ishtar going to the Underworld, Persephone going to the Underworld, Nephthys being married to Set…all have their interesting scenes and situations that add up to them being somewhat the exact same as each other in one fashion or another.

Many deities share similarities, does not mean they are one and the same. There are many Goddesses of love, war, etc. I’ve found that Lilith and Aphrodite are very close friends and they also have similarities, same with Aphrodite and Ishtar who tend to be really close to one another.

Most of the pantheons are connected by similar parentage, and by that I mean a lot of the void primordial gods such as Tiamat, Khaos, Nun, Abzu, etc know one another as well.

2 Likes

Same they are the same Inanna is the woman Lilith being her hand is her spirit. This is how she calls us watches ya makes us better for twin flame I believe it’s a shaping of sorts. The hand or soul of our twin flame watches us we watch them. Masculine Balancing within them of sorts shaping them to fit our mold. Maybe I’m wrong, in my life I’m right. Hotep Anat look at Anat-Bethel in regards to being Anat/Astarte same as Inanna/Ishtar. Different culture and names same beings. To me.

Nepthys/Isis same, first marriage Osiris/Set same Osiris meaning”fertile land”. Second Marriage I believe is Begining of “Atenism” first instance of a jealous god some say. Set Killed a God? No he killed Many destroying temples in 14 Cities and erecting new ones to Aten. Maybe this Applies I know it does to me again :joy:

1 Like

Yes you’re right of course, I meant BC, not AD.

Inanna’s cult actually survives to this day in both Hinduism and Buddhism, as part of Tantra and Shaktism. Durga and Tara were both largely based on Inanna as her cult spread east and the sacred prostitution thing still remains intact.

Sex Magick, as we understand it in the West was also largely a re-import from Eastern Traditions, not least by Aleister Crowley, but I must say it is often heavily misunderstood.

1 Like

Nephthys is thought to be a later form of Neith, Aset and Serqet are thought to be the same as well, but also Serqet is thought to be a aspect of Aset, but the idea of Nephthtys and Aset being the same is doesn’t work. Set and Osiris held no issue, the death of Osiris from Set is a later mythology as well, but at the same time Osiris death was also seen as his need to transition from a god of fertility to ruler of the underworld. So it was more symbolic.