Left hand path and Right hand path?

Dear all,

As a new member of this forum and completely unfamiliar with the doctrines and linguistics of magic I was wondering what the difference was between the Left hand path (Black Magic) and Right hand path (White magic). I’m not sure if you should even call them black magic and white magic.

From my research I assume that the Right hand path involves healing, protection, wisdom etc…you know angels and fluffy clouds. On the other hand the Left hand path involves destruction magic, summoning demons to do your will and blood sacrifice.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of practicing the two paths? Is the Right hand path weaker and more submissive? Is the Left hand path all about taking names and doing whatever you want?

Could an expert in magic please explain the difference between the two paths? Thank you so much for helping out a beginner!

Theres a lot of info on this site to go over. Thats hardly the case when comparing black vs white magick for one. EA has ebooks I would recommend for really cheap. He also has a youtube channel you should check out.

Good luck with that, most practitioners don’t even agree on what the terms mean. Why they continue to be used is beyond me.

But the general gist normally is that the RHP has a set moral code (which aligns nicely with societies) and LHP doesn’t necessarily prescribe one. Typically someone who says they’re “on the LHP” doesn’t “bow the knee” to an external authority whereas RHP will believe there is a supreme creator.

It has nothing to do with the spirits you work with (although a lot of work with some “type” will tend to influence you one way or the other) and IMO it’s all nonsense.

People on the “right side” tend to think everything is in harmony and working to the greatest good (and they’re right) so we should just accept things and flow along the river - but they overlook that they are directing the rivers flow anyhow and it’s cut from their own cloth (which is very messed up). Then those on the “left side” tend to think they can (and are) doing whatever they want…except for all their “individual will” they are still dragged along by the river and led by the nose by forces they don’t even realize are dictating their “wants”.

As far as I’m concerned, you would be better off forgetting about the two divisions. There is only YOUR path, and it will likely twist and turn and circle around and never fit into a nice little box.

Thank you will do!

[quote=“Rawiri, post:3, topic:4818”]Good luck with that, most practitioners don’t even agree on what the terms mean. Why they continue to be used is beyond me.

But the general gist normally is that the RHP has a set moral code (which aligns nicely with societies) and LHP doesn’t necessarily prescribe one. Typically someone who says they’re “on the LHP” doesn’t “bow the knee” to an external authority whereas RHP will believe there is a supreme creator.

It has nothing to do with the spirits you work with (although a lot of work with some “type” will tend to influence you one way or the other) and IMO it’s all nonsense.

People on the “right side” tend to think everything is in harmony and working to the greatest good (and they’re right) so we should just accept things and flow along the river - but they overlook that they are directing the rivers flow anyhow and it’s cut from their own cloth (which is very messed up). Then those on the “left side” tend to think they can (and are) doing whatever they want…except for all their “individual will” they are still dragged along by the river and led by the nose by forces they don’t even realize are dictating their “wants”.

As far as I’m concerned, you would be better off forgetting about the two divisions. There is only YOUR path, and it will likely twist and turn and circle around and never fit into a nice little box.[/quote]

Thank you for your contribution. From what I can gather from your response you mean to say that RHP believes in the greater good, a supreme being and conformity to a moral code/standard etc… and the LHP is more anarchistic or individualistic. Thank you for clarifying the “paths” I assumed one had to neatly slot themselves into either the RHP or the LHP. I also assumed that if you were set on the RHP you couldn’t work with demons and vice versa. I’m relieved to know that you can summon the powers of both entities.

Thanks for clearing things up. Yes follow your own path. That would be best.

This is a definition I like a lot, from Stephen Flowers’ book Lords Of The Left-Hand Path:

Essentially, the left-hand path is the path of non-union with the objective universe. It is the way of isolating consciousness within the subjective universe and, in a state of self-imposed psychic solitude, refining the soul or psyche to ever more perfect levels. The objective universe is then made to harmonize itself with the will of the individual psyche rather than the other way around.

Where the right-hand path is theocentric (or certainly alleocentric: “other centred”), the left-hand path is psychecentric, or soul/self-centred. Those within the left-hand path may argue over the nature of this self/ego/soul, but the idea that the individual is the epicentre of the path itself seems undisputed.

An eternal seperation of the individual intelligence from the objective universe is sought in the left-hand path. This amounts to an immortality of the independent self-consciousness moving within the objective universe, and interacting with it at will.

The reason I personally think this makes sense (after a serious lot of work on the RHP, which I posted about here) is that it seems to me that all forms that exist tend towards more power, more diversity, and more expression of their own glory and life - nothing in nature makes me believe it’s correct or right for all streams to seek merger back to the All.

There are different definitions, and the origin of the term is explained in-depth in that book, but for me the LHP/RHP split lies on where you wish your destiny to lie - with God in his heaven by obeying his rules, or Merger back to some formless transcendence by renouncing the world and all its attachments - or flourishing into the highest levels of individuated consciousness and empowerment. Basically, taking what exists now and making that into your own Heaven.

No part of the “destiny of souls” interpretation requires LHP people to only do harmful work, or only work with demons, or wear black and scowl a lot :o) and remember, there have never been any LHP Inquisitions, fanatics, or jihads - I mean what’s the LHP suicide bomber supposed to do, blow herself up because she wasn’t a believer in her own godhood?!

Just kidding, anyway that’s my take on it and that book by Flowers is highly recommended if you want to read more about that interpretation. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a definition I like a lot, from Stephen Flowers’ book Lords Of The Left-Hand Path:

Essentially, the left-hand path is the path of non-union with the objective universe. It is the way of isolating consciousness within the subjective universe and, in a state of self-imposed psychic solitude, refining the soul or psyche to ever more perfect levels. The objective universe is then made to harmonize itself with the will of the individual psyche rather than the other way around.

Where the right-hand path is theocentric (or certainly alleocentric: “other centred”), the left-hand path is psychecentric, or soul/self-centred. Those within the left-hand path may argue over the nature of this self/ego/soul, but the idea that the individual is the epicentre of the path itself seems undisputed.

An eternal seperation of the individual intelligence from the objective universe is sought in the left-hand path. This amounts to an immortality of the independent self-consciousness moving within the objective universe, and interacting with it at will.

The reason I personally think this makes sense (after a serious lot of work on the RHP, which I posted about here) is that it seems to me that all forms that exist tend towards more power, more diversity, and more expression of their own glory and life - nothing in nature makes me believe it’s correct or right for all streams to seek merger back to the All.

There are different definitions, and the origin of the term is explained in-depth in that book, but for me the LHP/RHP split lies on where you wish your destiny to lie - with God in his heaven by obeying his rules, or Merger back to some formless transcendence by renouncing the world and all its attachments - or flourishing into the highest levels of individuated consciousness and empowerment. Basically, taking what exists now and making that into your own Heaven.

No part of the “destiny of souls” interpretation requires LHP people to only do harmful work, or only work with demons, or wear black and scowl a lot :o) and remember, there have never been any LHP Inquisitions, fanatics, or jihads - I mean what’s the LHP suicide bomber supposed to do, blow herself up because she wasn’t a believer in her own godhood?!

Just kidding, anyway that’s my take on it and that book by Flowers is highly recommended if you want to read more about that interpretation. :)[/quote]

Thank you Lady Eva! Yours is the most comprehensive and concise explanation I have read on this topic. Thank you for recommending Stephen Flower’s book. It definitely clears up any misconceptions I had. I subscribed to a religious duality model believing that the RHP is all about the light and holiness etc…and the LHP is the dark side. I guess old habits die hard. Thank you again for your help. :slight_smile:

Black Magick Explained: [url=http://youtu.be/y_OQzIblsj8]- YouTube
White Magick Explained: [url=http://youtu.be/X2bM4R3igNU]- YouTube

[quote=“Illustrious, post:8, topic:4818”]Black Magick Explained: [url=http://youtu.be/y_OQzIblsj8]- YouTube
White Magick Explained: [url=http://youtu.be/X2bM4R3igNU]- YouTube

Awesome! Thank you so much!