Learning the tarot cards

Ok guys. One thing I seriously struggle with is depth in a practice. I learn things fast but memorization like an exam I am horrible. Basically I am trying to say is that I want to learn Tarot. But I was never good in school, I was great street smart. All I feel with Tarot is learning flash cards. I have a deck but if anyone has any tips on speedind up learning the cards PLEASE SHARE

1 Like

DO not fret brother, I am dyslexic that was never diagnosed when I was a kid… I have a pretty high IQ, but suffice to say it is a processing issue, so deep reading and memorization work my attention span is less than desirable, I am a hands on guy not a here is the manual and read about it type…

I have tried and make headway, but then forget most of it, I have always been intuative/Empathic type of heathen…
You can do it :slight_smile:

My best,
Chris

1 Like

For me what helped was observing one card at a time for a day at a time and writing in a notebook the meaning and how I interpret it. A slow process but it’s the only thing that stuck because I’m the same way

4 Likes

Break them up into the suits and the major arcana. Each suit deals with a different aspect and tells a story from ace to 10. So set out all the cups for example, in order. There’s a story there. Do the same for each suit.

The major arcana are big life events but also tells a story. We begin as the fool and go on a journey.

The court cards - look up the meanings and think of a person you know that aligns with that personality. That’s who they represent, everytime you draw one, you’ll remember the character qualities you’re looking at.

4 Likes

To begin with you can forget the traditional meanings altogether and read them picture by picture like a ‘story’…

Basically what @AradiaX said… :wink: (You beat me to it as I was typing)

I also like to watch different YouTube tarot readers as well because I like to see how different people interpret their cards since they can have different meanings from person to person. And also I like to see how they interpret various card combinations and spreads…

GG

3 Likes

Im actually trying this. Lol but I am terrible with follow thru on this type of stuff. Reminds me of flashcards

1 Like

I am going to see if this works for me. Sounds good. Thanks :blush:

1 Like

No problem let me know how it works or if i can help😀

1 Like

How can you help more?

1 Like

If you get tripped up with what I suggested i can come up with more tips, look back at my notes and such. I used to make diagrams lol

1 Like

Diagrams!!! Omg kill me now. I hate homework :sob:… haha ok im likely going to end up hitting you up for questions. Thanks !!

2 Likes

Hahaha no problem, it’s easy just start with pictures. They literally tell you everything about the card

1 Like

Okie Dokes. Ill get on it.

1 Like

What helped for me was just to keep using them. You get connected with the cards and they tell you after a while. I read up on them a lot. The meanings. How is the reading affected if you get mostly pentacles or cups for instance? What the major arcana mean and what they indicate if the reading pulls them. Then just use them. Connect with them like if you’re channeling. They have a consciousness that speaks to you and they will tell you what the cards are saying if you listen. I’m sorry if this sounds vague. I don’t mean to be. I’m trying to encourage you and let you know it is not just memorize the cards like flash cards and then go. It’s more than that so you don’t have to just rely on that. Get a deck with a good book. Do the reading and just read the meaning of the cards and ask the cards what it means as they are laying next to eachother. How do they interact with eachother and how do they speak to you? Things take time so give yourself patience and love, and know that before long you are going to be a pro at this!

3 Likes

I got the legacy of the divine tarot. The pics are gorgeous

Which book & deck would you recommend? I know in the end it comes down to which you vibe with more personally but if you absolutely had to choose one for a beginner?

1 Like

Oh man!! Idk. There are so many out there! That deck is gorgeous. I, like everyone else started out Ryder Waite but i hated the deck. It didn’t appeal to me at all. So i started looking for then one that called to me. You know when you walk into a botanica and this staute or stone or whatever just grabs you? So thats what i did. The decks i got have decent books with them. I also read as much as i could online. I got a couple books but idk if i would even recommend them because omg detailed and COMPLICATED!!! It just confused me. Look online and in the store and flip through a bunch of books. Get the one that sings to you. One is going to resonate with you inside. When it hapoens you’ll know what i mean.

Here is one i got.

3 Likes

See what i mean? It can get super complicated and as a beginner It would only deter and confuse you. I don’t even go this far with it. How can someone remember all that!?

2 Likes