Languages for Spellwork and Rituals

What would be a decent language to learn to help decipher old rituals but also be decent in making them. Right now im inbetween Greek and Latin. I also wish to learn Arabic eventually. What language would you suggest? If its not Greek or Latin let me know what you suggest and the reasons for it.

And i know that it is the intent and not the language which makes the ritual work. I just feel like using a different language moving forward.

Greek is arguably a good language to manifest things along similar lines:

Also, arguably, retained some knowledge of a far older culture, shorthand termed Atlantean but also possibly Hyperborean:

What are our sources? The complete story about Atlantis is to be found in two dialogues by Plato, written around 360 to 347 BC: Timaeus and Critias. Plato is the only original source that mentions Atlantis.

Plato’s character in the dialogue (Critias, in real life an older relative of his) is supposed to give Socrates a description of an ideal city-state. As point of origin he takes a true story that, so he claims, was told to him by his grandfather, whose father in turn heard it from the famous statesman Solon, who had heard it from Egyptian priests in Sais around 600 BC.

Sais, a city on the western Nile delta in Egypt, was at that time at its zenith as a centre for foreign trade. This was, as you understand, centuries before Alexander the Great established Alexandria. The priests of Sais claimed that their city was founded by the same people as Athens, and had the same goddess, except they called their goddess Neith rather than Athena.

In spite of this common history they naturally had a different language, since Greece later had switched to an Indo-European tongue. The original population of the Aegean region may well have been derived from northernmost Africa—the coast that was then called Libya.

Returning now to Solon’s visit in Sais, he was telling the priests about all the oldest myths of Greece, including the one about Deucalion’s deluge, when almost all of humankind succumbed. One of the old priests replied in these words (in Benjamin Joett’s translation):

-O Solon, Solon, you Hellenes are never anything but children, and there is not an old man among you. Solon in return asked him what he meant. -I mean to say, he replied, that in mind you are all young; there is no old opinion handed down among you by ancient tradition, nor any science which is hoary with age. And I will tell you why. There have been, and will be again, many destructions of mankind arising out of many causes; the greatest have been brought about by the agencies of fire and water, and other lesser ones by innumerable other causes.

Source: Atlantis Ireland - Atlantis geographically based on Ireland

(Added note that does mention the language was not retained, but possibly some concepts were, when you look at how much of what we consider civilisation, and science, comes directly from Greek origins. Gematria works on English words, it seems to be an adaptable technology.)

Some excellent cases for latin in the replies here:

I know that doesn’t answer your question in a “do this, not that” way, but it may give more criteria for making your own decision.

1 Like

Actually, some languages are considered to be magical in and of themselves, such as Hebrew. The letters of the Hebrew Alphabet are believed to hold Divine power, which is why they are used in Kabbalisitc magick (traditional Hebrew, not the modern version).

1 Like

I don’t know any other languages other some Spanish, but I have to agree with @DarkestKnight, not based on writing rituals, but upon using them.

Anytime I use a ritual that has seals, sigils and words of power in Hebrew- I find they almost always come in on results, but I originally leaned towards Greek as well, I’ve always been a bit fascinated by it. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Thank you. As always the links are greatly appreciated.

@DarkestKnight
Ive heard that, especially with hebrew. I was reading that even english is considered magickal. I used hebrew in my “seal of intrusion” here:

@Keteriya
Ive been addicted to greek mythos since kindergarten. Its probably the first steps into occult stuff as the mysteries were always my favorite part of greek mythos.

2 Likes

Hehe I’m unfortunately not very well versed with any myths. Surprising some days as much of a fiction reader I am, but the language I’ve had interest in since my early twenties. Someone I gamed with was from Greece and I used to love to hear it lol. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Greek is beautiful sounding that much is true. Really disney got me into it with hercules. The concept of a guy doing labors to attain godhood was something that stuck with me. Plus the music was really good.

1 Like

Lol I don’t think I’ve ever watched all of that one, or the Hunchback of Notre dame, or anything between the Lion King and my kids being born lol…

For a few years after the kids were born though, I loved Disney movies again.

1 Like

Yea i really didnt watch alot of disney tbh. Only alladin and hercules. (Forgive misspellings). But years later i watch the princess and the frog and loved it. I live right beside Louisiana so it was cool seeing a movie about it.

1 Like