Lady Freya

Correct, I agree with that statement.

However, there is a collectively agreed upon concept of chaos and darkness and in that time Seidr was considered unmanly and was often feared because of the chaos it was thought to engender. Which is why the use of Runes and Galdr was more favored. It was considered more honorable. It’s not so much that it was evil or that it is evil, but rather the concepts behind these things carry dark connotations with them. Dark is not necessarily evil. Darkness is many things, typically being that which is not understood or often denied by society, not just something Halloweeny.

Correct and it still is to an extent.

However, the act of war is murderous and bloody, which can be considered darker in nature. I will go as far as to also note that the Norse did not have such a dualistic worldview as we do today. The concept of a “Dark” deity wasn’t really a thing until modern day.

I will add on by saying that not all Norsemen were actually warriors. Not all of them were Vikingr. Many were actually farmers first and foremost.

3 Likes

There were believed to be a lot of unmanly Vikings especially followers of Freyr and Freyja who have been noted to by Christians “seen” doing unmanly things in their rituals.

Also noting that the Vanir were seen as warrior Gods, not just fertility. A prime example being Freyr who was originally a warrior God of peace and a sovereign deity (there’s even lore that says Freyja original husband was Freyr and they were rulers together as it was passed to them by their father Njörd and his unnamed sister/wife (thought to be Nethrus/the feminine aspect of his name)

2 Likes

This discussion is actually making me smile right now.

1 Like