Kaballah and 72 Goeatia

Do the Kabballah 72 names of god have anything in common with 72 Goeatia ?

Poete Maudit, who’s no longer a member here, made a convincing case that the 72 names listed in the Goetia is an incomplete list, and also that various people have tried to forge links between systems of sephiroth, Tarot, demons and names of God etc., that don’t exist in reality, just out of a weird desire to corral everything into one system.

You can read one of his posts about that here - erase the rudeness and I basically agree with every point made, though based on experiences with soul travel and, later, working with demons, rather than the specific manuscripts he referred to, and I believe his methods of evocation were different to mine as well.

The Necronomicon Spellbook has 50 beings listed who are also names of Marduk, so that might also influence some modern thinking on this, but I’m not expert enough in that system yet to offer this as more than a possibility.

72 Angles
72 Demons
72 Names of God
72 Books of the Bible
72 Paranatellons, extra-zodiacal constellations that rise and set simultaneously with zodiacal constellations

You think God rules the Heavens…as he doest so the Earth?

Of course, there are truly more than 72, the sky has virtually infinite combinations & possibilities, ephemeral one decade, extant the next.

As Above…So Below.

It’s the greatest story of all time, right above your eyes, because it’s the only story in the sky.

What do I know…I’m a crazy person

Poete Maudit, who’s no longer a member here, made a convincing case that the 72 names listed in the Goetia is an incomplete list, and also that various people have tried to forge links between systems of sephiroth, Tarot, demons and names of God etc., that don’t exist in reality, just out of a weird desire to corral everything into one system.

You can read one of his posts about that here - erase the rudeness and I basically agree with every point made, though based on experiences with soul travel and, later, working with demons, rather than the specific manuscripts he referred to, and I believe his methods of evocation were different to mine as well.

The Necronomicon Spellbook has 50 beings listed who are also names of Marduk, so that might also influence some modern thinking on this, but I’m not expert enough in that system yet to offer this as more than a possibility.[/quote]

Very interesting. I found that the Goetia itself suppress the 13th constelation of the sky, so we have at least 12 more spirits “hidden” in some way.

And the whole ancient zodiac itself is suppressed, so to speak, by fixing 0 Aries at the Vernal Equinox.

And the whole ancient zodiac itself is suppressed, so to speak, by fixing 0 Aries at the Vernal Equinox.[/quote]

This is because, in Western astrology, a sign is not a constellation, but rather a 30 degree division of a circle whose center is the Earth, and to which certain symbolic elements of certain constellations have been assigned for mnemonic purposes. If you want an astrological system that uses the actual constellations, you’ll want to look at Vedic or Taoist sources.

This is because, in Western astrology, a sign is not a constellation, but rather a 30 degree division of a circle whose center is the Earth, and to which certain symbolic elements of certain constellations have been assigned for mnemonic purposes. If you want an astrological system that uses the actual constellations, you’ll want to look at Vedic or Taoist sources.[/quote]
The Western zodiac is actually based on an error where 0 Ares was confused with the vernal equinox. Taoists and “Vedists” whatever they are have nothing to do with it.
Sidereal astrology was the astrology of Babylon, Assyria, Egypt and Sumer.

[quote=“Student of Goetia, post:7, topic:4383”]The Western zodiac is actually based on an error where 0 Ares was confused with the vernal equinox. Taoists and “Vedists” whatever they are have nothing to do with it.
Sidereal astrology was the astrology of Babylon, Assyria, Egypt and Sumer.[/quote]

“Vedists” would be modern Hindus - the term refers to the Vedas.

The debate on the relative merits of the Sidereal and Tropical Zodiac is an old one. They are different systems, and to label one an error seems silly. I do note that in astrological systems that use the Sidereal Zodiac, they take a different approach to the practical application of astrology; different tools require different approaches.

I’ll take your word on the Babylonians, Assyrians and Sumerians, but as Western Astrology, with it’s Tropical Zodiac that you dislike, was in essence a product of Greco-Egyptian Alexandria, I’d be interested in seeing a source for Egyptians using the Sidereal Zodiac.