Is printing sigils ok?

Well, for the sigils that actually work (not all created sigils are valid), they should indeed work. From what I gather, the revealed sigils are more powerful, especially if that is the purpose of their revelation - but I don’t speak from personal experience on this.

That’s awesome, Gozer! In fact you inspired me to print out sigils in another thread and it’s been going great so far, so thanks heaps for letting us know your method, it’s saved me hours of drawing time and frustration, haha!.

I tried Microsoft Word for printing sigils and it works in there as well. You can cut and paste a picture from a pdf and resize it if you want a basic and quick way to do it. I can only imagine what detailed creations can be made in Photoshop. The sky’s the limit!

There is a certain power that comes from drawing the sigil yourself. It is the second charging. The first charging comes during the contemplation. The second is the drawing. The third is the actual ritual of opening.

Now don’t mistake this as me saying that one way is wrong but it’s just as bit of power that is added.

1 Like

A sigil is less like a signature and more like a phone number. My office phone I hardly ever answer nor my business cell but my personal cell I almost always answer. Some sigils are like personal cell numbers - you just get a better connection

2 Likes

A sigil is less like a signature and more like a phone number. My office phone I hardly ever answer nor my business cell but my personal cell I almost always answer. Some sigils are like personal cell numbers - you just get a better connection[/quote]

Great way of putting it, You have a way of explaining things so that its very easy to understand.

Hey guys. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm going to be doing some sigil magick shortly and I was wondering, is it ok if I print out the sigils on my computer? They come out perfectly and in dark ink too, plus I can cut the paper to make the square around the circular border as big or small as needed. A good size I found is about 4 inches per sigil plus a couple for the paper around it. But is there a downside to printing them? I mean, the sigil is just a link to the spirit right? So it shouldn't really matter if it was printed. Also my art is.....pretty grotesque. So my hand drawn sigils usually come out looking like abominations. Lol

I RECOMMEND using modern tools and machinery for magick.

If anything, using cutting edge technology is more aligned with the attitude of magick, which is all about increasing power.

Can you print your sigil on a laser printer? Of course.

I don’t even print sigils out anymore. Like cinereous, I open the sigil image on top of a black background on my laptop, and iPhone, and sit and scry into these devices. After all, the surfaces of the devices are glass.

And when we have 3D holograph machines, I’ll switch to them. We’ll continue evolving our practice as technology advances.

Or should we all go back in time and start chiseling sigils out of stone again?

Needless to say, if you enjoy the romance of drafting up your own sigils by hand, then go ahead. But it’s not necessary.

Being anti-technology is being anti-magick.

3 Likes

Timothy, when opening on a digital medium how do you find the back lighting to affect things? In my admittedly limited experience with doing this I am always detered because I find my eyes fatigue very quickly due to back lighting

I’ve cut some of the sigils I’ve used out of stainless on a water jet, but these were for more general and long term workings involving my job as a machinist. Engraved my set of runes on it too. Came out badass.

I always decrease the brightness to it’s lowest level. Also, you’ll find that if you create a black background on your desktop, and open the sigil on top, it reduces the eye strain.

As someone who is on a computer from the moment I wake up, until the moment I fall asleep, I do admittedly suffer serious eye fatigue, as to which you alluded - perhaps due to this, I’ve built up a strong stamina for enduring it.

An alternative approach is to simply shut the monitor lighting off, and use it as a standard black magick mirror.

Laptops come in very handy for this, because the screen is attached to the base, and you can easily adjust the degree of tilt - as opposed to a literal mirror, where you need a mirror stand, which has a limited range.

In addition, if you’re scrying and want to take notes on what you’re seeing, you simply open up your notepad software and type away as you gaze - this is MUCH faster than handwriting.

It’s all-in-one. You can do anything on it… scry, take notes, create sigils, read grimoires, etc. It’s like a Swiss army knife for scrying.

A computer is a magician’s dream come true tool-wise.

1 Like

Timothy would you and E.A. be interested in putting out a download of all of the sigils, gateways etc. found in E.A.'s books so that they can be easily printed out? This would save people from having to trace them from their books.

No “STUPID” Questions here jbtaylor!!! I really like the “feel” of this forum man.

For me, I like to add a few drops of my blood from my writing hand into black ink, use a nib/quill and hand draw or paint (when I have the $ for paint!) the Sigil. I feel that I’m in a way giving myself over a little more to the task at hand.

But this raises a great question regarding printing or hand painting Sigils…How “perfect” does the Sigil have to be?

Is my Magick any MORE powerful if it’s hand painted as opposed to copied?

Thoughts anyone?

Mode_439

Loads of awesome answers and info, guys. Can’t thank y’all enough. It’s very refreshing to have an open community to learn with and from.

An Ipad works pretty good as a scrying device on the go as well (especially the larger screen as opposed to the new smaller one) with its shiny and reflective surface, plus with the case I have for it I can adjust the angle. Good post Timothy.

Is printing sigils ok, you ask?

Have you evoked a spirit to physical manifestation?

If you haven’t, stop trying to cut corners. It’s actually pompous, arrogant and insulting.

1 Like

I think it’s ok to print sigils, as long as you trace over them with your pen, marker, sharpie, etc. just print it out with the fast draft setting so that it comes out kind of light.

[quote=“Poete Maudit, post:32, topic:767”]Is printing sigils ok, you ask?

Have you evoked a spirit to physical manifestation?

If you haven’t, stop trying to cut corners. It’s actually pompous, arrogant and insulting.[/quote]

Become intimate with the sigil. Do not take shortcuts. I’m not saying whether to print or not to print. I spend time drawing the sigils first in pencil then I go over them with magickal ink. The important thing is to bond with the sigil as if it were a great piece of art. Let it come alive to you, If that means taking the time to draw it by hand do so. If you can make it perfect through a print program do so. The point is to spend time with the sigil. Also to be honest, blood or semen infused with the ink bonds the sigil to you.

2 Likes

I think the concern a lot of people have, and correct me if I am wrong, is that their ability to draw is not good. Myself I am absolute rubbish at drawing, even my tracings come out wrong somehow lol. I will be working on this now I have started down this path. My concern is that a badly drawn sigil would not be as strong a connection as a well defined or perfect one even if it is printed. I don’t want to offend because they think “That’s rubbish, if that’s the best you can do don’t bother”

You can print sigils. If you want, use a bodily fluid to re-trace and consecrate - if that gets you in the space, so to speak. That said, I’m old school and a draw sigils, but I print and consecrate Seals.

Al.