Is occult a religion?What should occultists identify themselves as?

how should occultists identify themselves when asked about their practices and believes?Should we say that we are Satanists?Should we say that we are magicians or that we are occult practitioners?Is it best to say that we are part of the Left Hand Path movement?Try to get to a solid conclusion…

4 Likes

Depends who asks. No, seriously, I believe you’ll get a different answer from everyone. If I have to place myself under a category, I’d say something kinda general like “I follow the LHP”. But don’t ask me for a sub-category, I don’t like restrictions or labels. I’m everything.

9 Likes

I feel like occultists could identify as a whole lot of things… you cant really say that it is one religion as we do call on gods from several different pantheons such as the hindu gods, Norse, greek, Egyptian. So I’d say that could be classified as pagan (unless someone would like to correct me on that), though I believe pagans stick to one pantheon and have their different traditions.
But really I would just say an occultist. Unless you specifically worship Satan above all others then you could call yourself a satanist. Lol it’s really up to you

1 Like

They shouldn’t identify, to begin with.

13 Likes

Arcane so what you are saying is that it’s best for us to just say that we aren’t religious or spiritual…Makes a lot of sense…I can’t say that I dont follow a religion and that I am not Atheist at the same time in my country so I think it might be good to identify as anti-theist if I want to keep it a secret.Otherwise I think I could say that I am just Pagan.

I always say “it is none of your business” if someone asks, but it is very rare for anyone to care about it where I live. Usually the only thing I get is compliments on my inverted pentagram pendant. lol

9 Likes

They say God I say SAY10 :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Honestly I dont view it as religion it as a religion. Even though it may have religious influences. I see the occult more as being a lifestyle and a way to live your life. I know when I first started, granted I’m still very new, I learned a lot just by reading this forum and doing my own research. The things I learned wouldn’t let me go back to my normal life or way of thinking. Once you see behind the veil you can never believe the lie again no matter how you try.

4 Likes

I do like how Timothy states it because the only way to me Occultism is a religion is the idea of worshiping yourself. (I use the term Worship loosely).

But the whole idea of “what should we ID ourselves as” is silly to me, even ridiculous and the thought of the Occult as “religious” is disgusting.

We are all individuals not a hive mind like religion is. There is no rules or laws just a vast universe as our playground.

3 Likes

An actual Satanist doesn’t worship Satan that’s the funny part :wink:

6 Likes

Welp I learned somethin new :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

No, that You as an individual are not these things. It’s about individualism.

I found it interesting when I discussed it with some Satanists myself :wink:

1 Like

Nice nice :blush:

See the good thing with this path is that you’re not forced to follow the “rules” and identify as something. The LHP is extremely flexible. No one will force you to do something you don’t want to. There are people working with Demons and the Lwa at the same time for example and its working just fine. You can create who you are without putting a label, you don’t have to belong somewhere to follow this spiritual path.

2 Likes

Wonder where on Earth is that paradise…If people knew that I was cutting my hand in front of Satan and giving him a blood sacrifise in this area they would put me on a stake and burn me…

1 Like

I too think that occult is something more than religion but mostly I want to see if I am right.By the answers I got I can say that the way I see magick and occult is the way many others do as well.And yes,it’s true.Once you get into the magick and see beyond the veil there is no more being blind.I always knew there had to be something more and thats why I believed in Islam for years but when I saw magick and EA Koetting’s work I realized that there is an alternative to all of my previous believes.Even if I stopped practicing magick there is no way I could ever go back to religion again…

5 Likes

Amen brother haha

1 Like

Occult is not a religion but there are many religious occultists.
Occultists should identify themselves as whatever they like to identify themselves as. I personally don’t like to have any labels or tags on me.

4 Likes

Norse Vodouissant lol

1 Like