Is it really such a set in stone philosophy?

I feel more left leaning because I refuse to worship another being. Those who seek to reach the greatest heights should aim to be the master rather than to serve.

Oneness, merging and destruction of the ego are all concepts that make my stomach turn.

However, I am not ruthless and certainly don’t believe the end justifies the means. Is the left hand path so inflexible that I must be such in order to be considered a true LHP magician?

6 Likes

Mmmmm i think you’re just fine. Worship and respect are vastly different, and you have the right to choose your own allegiances and devotions, even choosing none.

Also, remember that there are always more options than initially meet the eye. If you’re not RHP or LHP, then blaze your own trail how you see fit. Its only a path, its not a train track.

6 Likes

Your journey is YOUR journey. You can make any choices you want.

Don’t mistake us talking about our own individual journeys as a mandate. We’re just sharing our own experiences with the community.

It’s a buffet. Take what you like, pass on the rest.

7 Likes

Either way i don’t see what the big fuss is about! Those who do are basically the child of said deity that doesn’t mean you cannot be your own god, your just choosing your family tree connections on the higher planes. Those who want to do it on there own do so! So no its not set in stone but it’s just different ways of achieving the same thing.

6 Likes

Oh dear, i have gravely misread your original post, @Kazama, I’m so sorry.

You were not talking about devotion or worship, but about your own beliefs about ruthlessness and the “at all costs” mentality.

I’ll let you in on a secret— I’m not ruthless (in most cases), and I believe that methods are as important as ends. I have a code of ethics that does not allow me to directly manipulate the will of another being in any irreversible ways. I talk violently about those who would cross me, but the reality of that talk is that some highly specific circumstances are required. Most of the time, my retaliation is apathy, which is gentle and just as effective, and leaves my conscience free to move on.

So, does this make me less of a mage? Does this make me less dangerous to plot against? Does this make me strictly RHP? The answer to all three is NO. I am, if anything, MORE powerful because I choose my path through reason and overcome my instincts through thoughtful examination. I choose to be gentle because others flee when a gentle person “goes to war.” As for the handedness of my path, pshaw. Who cares? I make my own way, and I know my way better than anyone else can.

Own who you are, and don’t bend yourself to fit into the box that others point at.

7 Likes

Well said, @Anastasiya. Well said.

2 Likes

Very true. I suppose there is no need to worry about fitting into any labels.

1 Like

I meant no offense, of course.

2 Likes

None taken lol. In reality you end up walking your own path.

1 Like

Honestly, I kinda think that the whole Right Hand vs Left Hand path may be a bit out dated paradigm. I feel that it is a vast oversimplification. I prefer to simply identify myself as a magician.

2 Likes