Invocation vs Full Possession

I’ve been told by King Paimon that I should work with one of his familiars.

I have already done an evocation of the spirit.

In order for me to be able to gain more from my relationship with this spirit, I think it would be helpful for me to do an invocation after my next evocation.

I’ve never done and invocation, with the exception of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram with Michael, Gabriel, Auriel and Raphael.

What is the difference between an invocation and a full blown possession?
And what are the dangers of doing an invocation as opposed to just an evocation?

Invocation is an aspect of yourself, possession is something other than yourself.

I see invocation as an invitation to an entity to enter into a sharing of spaces (body/mind/energy/etc), while possession is something attempting to usurp those spaces and put them under its own personal control without your input.

Invocation is an integration of energy, if only temporary, while possession is a commandeering of it.

I think the dangers of invocations are highly determinate based on who/what you are invoking. You mentioned the 4 most well known archangels; probably not that dangerous. They are well known entities with personalities that do not lend themselves to undue malice, so the idea of one of them trying to take you over borders on absurd.

Some minor demonic spirit though, that neither you nor anyone else has ever heard of, and its existence only known to you by the reference of another entity, and your experience with it limited to a single evocation?

Up to you I guess.

I wouldnt do it, though.

You break down the perceived boundary between self - your own will - and the will of the entity. Some poeple believe spirits are manifestations of the shared subconscious, or are all egregores, but I don’t think many systems deny that they have self-will and desired outcomes.

I recommend doing a reading on it, as ever. :slight_smile:

I found invoking the Angel of Lost Things was quite debilitating in that I got into a state of blissful loving peace whereby nothing mattered, and my personality kind of dissolved - whereas when I worked with Azi Dahaka, at one point I lost all feelings of empathy or concern for the well-being of any other living thing - two extremes (psycho-tourism?) that did mess with my everyday ability to function, the former one being far worse in terms of disrupting my everyday thought processes. I was psycho with the 2nd, but lucid and aware that I was running a thoughtstream that differed from my own.

Those are just my experiences so far, I’m going to be pushing some more boundaries with this soon, but they might be something to watch out for. At least, don’t do it while operating heavy machinery! :slight_smile:

(That said, Nate Bales had a cool experience of invoking Belial while driving fast down a highway at night, that he mentioned in the Intereviews with a Magus!)

[quote=“BB44, post:3, topic:7158”]Some minor demonic spirit though, that neither you nor anyone else has ever heard of, and its existence only known to you by the reference of another entity, and your experience with it limited to a single evocation?

Up to you I guess.

I wouldnt do it, though.[/quote]

I want to clarify what I meant to be communicate.
Maybe I have an incorrect understanding of the term “familiar spirit” (can someone inform me as to what exactly a familiar spirit is?)
King Paimon referred me to a spirit that is in the Ars Goetia - so it isn’t unknown.
This spirit is under King Paimon though and is a lower ranking demon.
When I say that I don’t just mean the demon is of a lower rank, the spirit respects King Paimon’s authority and has a relationship with King Paimon.

When King Paimon told me the name of the spirit I was like "Did I receive that correctly? That sounds like a spirit I have heard of before"
So I went looking for the spirit and found it was one of the 72 demons in the Ars Goetia.
I then evoked King Paimon again and asked if the spirit I had found was the one he was referring to and he confirmed it was.
The attributes of the spirit also happened to match what I needed.

King Paimon has assured me that any demons under him that he sends to assist me will not be malicious and they will obey his authority and respect his relationship with me.

I probably don’t need to use Invocation so I don’t think I will.
I have already seen results (pretty good results!) from my evocation of the spirit.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread - much appreciated.