Invisibility on social media?

Hello, I was wondering is it possible to become invisible on a social media account? I would delete it but I use it to keep in touch with my family.

I have found someone in a friend’s list who I don’t want to find me. Ever.

I’m not sure about that; however, it’s easy to handle this in a practical way, as in opening an account on a different platform and only adding people you want to keep in touch with. If they feel the same way they won’t mind switching. There’s no point staying on a platform if it makes you uncomfortable and brings unwanted attention.

Thanks, I think I’m going to do that too… It’s easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can also set it so that only mutual friends can see your posts.

The algorithms used by social media these days are very efficient at connecting the dots between accounts across the web. You’ll see this represented in your “do you know?” Or “connect with” offers…
As stated above by @Morgan2 set up a phantom email and a new account. Do your due diligence on the email provider decision as the registration process including your back up email address can poop on your parade right from the start. This is an issue that anyone concerned about the appearance of privacy has globally so solutions do exist that will prevent all but the most committed intrusions…

Make sure you have a decent VPN - use Firefox with the DuckDuckGo search engine. Make sure you have a cookie deleter, ghostery, facebook container and other privacy browser plug ins. Have an encrypted email address - I use tutanota.com.

I’m nearly but not quite invisible as far as the web is concerned…

Use a VPS as they’re better than VPNs. With VPNs you are using someone else’s software and trusting them not to log you, but because you aren’t in control of the server there’s no practical way for you to know that.