Introduction

Hi, I’ve just discovered this forum. I live in small-town America, and don’t have a lot of people around me that I can talk to about things I’m truly passionate about or subjects that fascinate me. I was interested in magic from an early age and also found my occult interests overlapping with fantasy fiction, and have had some interesting experiences with synchromysticism where I randomly stumbled upon new fictional works that somehow corresponded to struggles I was dealing with in my own life. I found in adolescence that Wicca was not a good fit for me, but chaos magic and shamanism seem to be more appropriate for myself as an individual. I’m also interested in all gay-friendly forms of mysticism and occult practices.

I have done sigils and curses, and a few past-life regressions on myself. When I learned to tap into my deep subconscious mind, I usually get some kind of result, although it’s not always precisely what I was looking for in the first place. I’ve felt drawn to a shamanic-type path but don’t have anyone around me to act as a mentor, and I’m trying to get better at going into a deep trance on command so I can do more journeying. I’m also interested in getting further information on my own past lives and figuring out my soul’s true origin and purpose.

5 Likes

Greetings and welcome. There are many posts/links regarding occult knowledge and rituals, decoding dreams, please check out the sites search engine at the upper right and the magnifying glass :mag_right: for more specifics and you can find the answer.

Greetings and welcome.:smile:

Welcome, @therubyincomparableHow did you come up with your name?

It’s from a short story by Kage Baker, an author I like.

Cool I’ll check it out!

If you google a lot of her old stories are available for free online in various science fiction and fantasy magazines

Welcome to the forum. Can you share some of the fictional works you have been drawn to?

Yes, quite a few. I always liked anything with witches or wizards- though I thought Harry Potter was just ok, not one of my favorites. When trying to get started on my own occult path I was drawn to books with characters who were not able to use the conventional magic systems of their world but instead learned to develop their own methods through experimentation that were personally tailored for them- Uprooted by Naomi Novik was a book I couldn’t help reading over and over, and the Circle of Magic books by Tamora Pierce would also fit into this category. Another good one was The Girl With No Shadow by Joanne Harris- the character of Zozie de L’Alba actually makes references to chaos magic and the works of Crowley and describes her own youthful experiments with many different forms of occultism in order to devise a system that works for her. Circe by Madeline Miller also has long descriptions in early chapters of the title character’s struggle to figure out how to use magic and get it to work reliably all on her own when no one is able or willing to teach her.

From the time I was a kid I loved the works of Ursula LeGuin, Diane Duane, Diana Wynne Jones, and Terry Pratchett, though I’m not sure how much any of them influenced my occult path.

Sometimes, when preoccupied with an issue in my personal life I find a random book that somehow reflects what I’m going through- when dealing with bullies and toxic relationships and ended up using magic to retaliate I found myself reading books like Babayaga by Toby Barlow and Chalk by Paul Cornell which have similar themes, as well as a web serial novel called Worm. When dealing with unpleasant memories from old family issues I found myself haunted by imagery relating to sirens- shamanic journeying revealed a siren-like helping spirit who led me to books like the Lost Voices trilogy by Sarah Porter which also talk about forgiveness and recovery from old hurts.

Usually when this happens it’s never a book I’ve heard of before and usually the author is not familiar to me, but somehow a certain book will keep drawing my attention when browsing local stores and I keep coming back to it until I finally read it. Most recently I read Middlegame by Seanan McGuire which I would definitely think is suitable for anyone on this forum interested in fictional versions of spiritual seekers who ascend to living god status.

Karmic Tarot by William C. Lammey

Get and study it.

Al.