Introduction & Agememmnon

I’m new to the Goetia, having come into contact recently with Asmodeus (Asmoday). I’m still amazed at how clear he came through. The Hermetic deck I bought seemed to channel him although it was Azazel that first introduced himself to me a few weeks ago, and then Lucifer came through with Asmoday.

I’m incredibly honoured although was a bit scared at first because I hesitated contacting Asmoday - and needless to say he did NOT like that. He got really angry and threatening but I understand now he was just intensely irritated by my fear. I think he wants to help me confront my anxiety issues and get rid of my avoidant behaviour patterns in general.

One question I do have is this: I’ve been getting the name AGAMEMNON coming through when contacting Asmoday, was he some sort of demon king in life? I know he was the husband of Helen of Troy back in Ancient Greek times but I’m confused as to why the name keeps cropping up - or am I getting my names jumbled up? Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

Agamemnon was the husband of Clytemnestra, and she (along with her lover) killed Agamemnon and Cassandra (a Seer and daughter of King Priam) when they returned to Mycenae (Crete) from Troy.

History/mythology wise, Agamemonon wasn’t a Demon King, but he was probably the most importand supreme commander of the Trojan war and he was depicted in art in a very similar way with Zeus. He was even worshiped in Sparta under the name “Zeus Agamemnon”.

I say ask Asmoday, cause this name could even be yours.

3 Likes

I did ask him during the ritual and I got ‘past life’ - but I didn’t buy that in case it was my ego talking as it was only my first ritual. It’s interesting that you picked up on that actually - thanks for the info!

1 Like

I was pulled into this post after trying to search for information on Cassandra, daughter of King Priam. @Anassa do you have anything more on her, maybe from personal experience if I could ask that?

I believe I had a visitation from her spirit last night that was tinged with bitterness, and I’m a bit concerned. Her words seemed distant but I could hear sharp consonants as if they were being hissed in my ear. She made a point to call out my ignorance, hinted that I might be getting in over my head, and when I asked her who she was she said Cassandra. When I asked her what she was, if she was a god, she didn’t speak so much as insert the idea that she was neither god nor demon nor angel nor faerie and that I wouldn’t know. Now I believe her to be an immortalized spirit, and with her seer powers this might make sense.

She felt very much like a harbinger, so I’m worried, though I’m excited that my activities have been catching a modicum of attention. Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome and appreciated.

1 Like

Agamemnon could also be a title for Zeus since it can be an epithet signifying the eternal. Additionally, there are plenty of ancient Greeks (as well as people from other nationalities and time periods) named after gods, and though it was more common to use the god’s name to make an adjective or genitive than it was to just give someone the same name as a god, there were quite a few people just named after gods.

1 Like

@Trickster I will pm you

@Dawnbringer Examples for the Greeks specifically? Never heard of an ancient Greek named Zeus or Hera or Dionysus. They were named with general epithets or with a variation of the name for example Apollonius and not Apollo. Dionysius and not Dionysus. It’s rather new for our culture to name people after a deity.

1 Like

Pope John II was originally named Mercurius which is just Mercury without being in an adjectival form, although that’s Roman and not Greek. I wouldn’t consider Ancient Rome to be “rather new,” although what the Romans did has no bearing on what the Greeks did. I did some searches to see if any Greeks rather than Romans were named after gods and I couldn’t find any examples, nor could I find any evidence it never happened. It seems to be the case that no famous Greeks were named after gods in Greek history. That doesn’t rule out non-famous Greeks being named after gods, or prehistoric Greeks such as Agememnon being named after gods, so if anyone has a list of random Greeks to search for Greeks named after gods, that would be useful.

1 Like

That’s the point exactly, non was ever named after a deity’s name but only with epithets (if any) and some times gods were taking someone’s name as an epithet, exactly like what happened with Zeus and Agamemnon (meaning “very persistent”) when said human was almost deified or widely admired. So, Zeus is “very persistent”, but Agamemnon isn’t “Zeus”.

I don’t consider Romans to be much different from Greeks, in fact there’s a brotherhood if I may say between us. And same as in the examples I gave above, Mercurius goes under that too. More specifically that -ius makes a huge difference:

Apollonius means “dedicated to Apollo”
Dionysius means “Dedicated to Dionysus”
And same way, Mercurius means “dedicated to Mercury”

Reason why you won’t find ancient Greeks (at least) taking a deity’s name, is because of a (not so minor) thing called “Hubris”

Looking at the Greek mythology you can find plenty of examples of humans taken over by Hubris and challenge or compare themselves with a deity. And the end wasn’t so…nice, trust me!

That, is changed now. For better or not, who can tell.

Mercurius simply means Mercury though. Latin grammar is different than Greek grammar, and “Mercury” is Anglicized and not the name the Romans would use for the god. Romans named after gods is common. That’s also why there’s a lot of Dianas. Romans clearly didn’t think it was hubristic to be named after a god, and even if Greeks thought it was hubristic that doesn’t mean it was never done. For example, it could’ve been done in Greek prehistory, or only low-class Greeks who didn’t know the difference between Dionysus and Dionysius could’ve been named after gods. When you don’t know for sure there were no Greeks who had the same names as gods, you don’t say there were definitely no Greeks who had the same names as gods. However, there were no important Greeks from the Greek historical (not prehistorical) period that had the same names as gods.

I ain’t gonna try more to “convince” you just because you base your theory into speculations. In fact, I have no reason to convince anyone for anything, I speak about facts I definitely know and whomever wants is welcomed to learn. Or not. You’re free to assume what you like, but then again if we all go based only on assumptions then we go nowhere. :wink: Have a great day

1 Like