Im not sure i understand scrying

If you look at a mirror while you visualize a spirit inside the reflection,is that scrying?

If you watch all the clouds in the sky while deciding what each one looks like to you,is that scrying?

If you stare at a photo of smoke and try to find a face or something in said smoke,is that scrying?

Also not sure if this belongs in this category or the divination category of posts.

5 Likes

Yes, these are all types of scrying.

6 Likes

Forgot the leaping and exploding flames of fire, tossing sand to the air, patterns numbers and sounds of birds, barking of dogs, etc. A lot of different types of divination and scrying, yes.

2 Likes

Visualizing a spirit in a mirror would be the “structuring” part of an evocation, where you create an astral matrix which the entity may use to take form.
Generally yes, one is also supposed to look in a certain way (relaxed but at the same time beyond, almost penetrating the surface).

5 Likes

I’ve always found aluminum foil to be the best medium for beginners to scry. Something about the material itself lends itself to scrying. I have since progressed to be able to scry on almost anything, trees, paper, ceilings, walls, tv screens etc, but foil is still the easiest method. I have the spirit seal inside of the piece of foil, and then I just see it on the surface.

4 Likes

@MottledZeitgeist Thanks. Would all these types of scrying develop clairvoyance or any other astral senses?

That is amazing and going to give myself a month doing this.

2 Likes

Patterns, numbers and sounds of birds have many meanings. Patterns are their method and direction of flight, descending and ascending, high speed or low speed.
Numbers are where they gather in groups or disperse. Sounds, that too has several meanings.
I wish I still had that book I found as a teenager.

2 Likes

In my experience, one way of scrying in a black mirror or inky water is much like seeing the images you catch just before falling asleep (hypnogogic imagery). If you can get into a relaxed enough state and not fall asleep, look in the black mirror (or whatever you’re using). Those images can reveal all sorts of things.

5 Likes

I was surrounded by a flock of crows yesterday, there was about 3 dozen of them, high overhead, and the noise was deafening

2 Likes

Had that happen to me before. A loud bang startled them to make them fly away.
That or calling the “two divine hawks upon their pillacles, keeping watch over the universe”
One just cawed outside.
Invocation of Thoth is where that line is from.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that require getting into an altered state of consciousness like a transe or something?

Palindromes and numbers in general can be very important. I would urge you to pick up a copy of 777, list the page of gematria by Bill Heidrick, The Complete Magicians Tables or the like.
Paul Foster Case wrote a lot of Gematria as well. Not as extensive as Crowley, but good info nonetheless.

If you keep seeing frequencies of numbers like this, I would give a thirty minute wondow around the time you saw the number, nt lending an outcome in any direction, but simply observe and note in a journal you carry on you, like a packetize one with a pen. This way you can also note any common synchronicity associated with that number.

Due to day to day interaction an interruptions, we dont always look out for synchronicity patterns that could actually be very insightful.

2 Likes

I would say no. Scrying is the process of going deeply into trance, looking at an object such as a crystal or smoke, and then getting psychic images. This is very different from simply using one’s imagination.

Not all people are clairvoyant, so some people might get feelings or may hear things, instead. Either way, the act of scrying is to tap into one’s psychic abilities to gain certain information.

Simply staring at clouds and deciding what they look like is not scrying – UNLESS you’re getting psychic impressions from doing so.

3 Likes

I completely agree with what you said @Mornaug. That’s how I see it as well.

4 Likes

Let me tell you how I scry. I evoke my spirit into my triangle of art. Then I ask the spirit to show itself to me in my obsidian black mirror or quartz crystal ball.

Then I focus my gaze on the object I’m scrying into. It’s alot like opening a seal of a spirit. You will begin to see colors and shapes and patterns like one of those 3d art posters that were popular in the early and mid 90s. The spirit will reveal itself almost without exception and usually within just a few minutes.

Now what’s interesting is unless you’re using a technique called structuring ( that’s building an image in your mind and transferring it to the object scrying medium to give the spirit an astral form to inhabit) the spirit is then free to choose a form that it feels comfortable revealing itself in. I’ve seen the spirits appear how they are known in the grimoires and legends to appear and I’ve seen them take other shapes.

For example I recently did an Evocation of Goddess Astarte. She revealed herself in my quartz ball as a youngish blond woman playing with flowers in a green field at dusk.

At that point I confirmed that it was Astarte and we continued the ceremony.

I find it’s a good technique to repeat the spirits name over and over like an enns chant while your doing your scrying gaze. This gives the spirit more energy to manifest and keeps away tricksters, parasites and imposters.

Hope this helps

6 Likes

Thanks.

But for any of this,I would have to enter some kinda trance like alpha brain state right?

I wish magick didn’t require alternate states of consciousness because my mind only has two states of being which are awake and asleep.

1 Like

Scrying is to gaze upon whatever you like, and get images and messages from doing so. Visualization it is not. The images should come on their own, not by force on your part. That’s just imagining.

2 Likes

Do you ever daydream? If so, that is the alpha state, or light trance. EVERYONE has the ability to go into trance, you just need to learn how. Or find some shamanic drumming on YouTube, close your eyes, and just listen. Just give it a shot.

1 Like

Okay thanks. Unfortunately I don’t really even understand what daydream means even after I googled it and even repeatedly read the trance work tutorial by Darkest Knight.

Like if you are watching a show but then your thoughts just start going elsewhere which makes you unaware of the TV despite looking straight at it, would that count as a trance?