How do I become fulfilled?

It’s a question I’ve asked myself a lot recently. I don’t know when I’ll be done ,but when will i at least be fulfilled?

1 Like

Now. Fulfillment doesn’t happen after you achieve something. It’s a state of being you train yourself into. At least in my opinion. You become fulfilled when you can be content with less than you want but not satisfied .

5 Likes

That’s a good perspective.

2 Likes

Thanks! Trust me after 3 hospitalizations for depression and a ton of self hate it was not easy to achieve. I still hate myself some days and i still cry. But I am content more often than not

4 Likes

I mean totally fulfilled, if they makes sense. I have an issue with that

2 Likes

Some people believe that they cannot begin to have fulfillment until xyz happens. You’re just living your life as a visitor if that’s the case. Go out and do something that fulfills you. Long-term fulfillment might come from being on a certain path, but you have to start making that path and even little fulfillments are a step in the right direction.

4 Likes

In my opinion, it’s about living a life that at the end when it all flashes before your eyes you can look back and say “You know what, that was pretty good” or if you’re really winning at life “Holy shit! That was fun!” Be interesting, do crazy things, and enjoy life while you’ve got it.

But if you’re looking for specifics you could start a project, something to do in your spare time that’s constructive and hard work. Personally I’d like to make a small log shack out in the woods. Nothing too fancy, just a one room cabin big enough for a cot and a little cast iron stove.

5 Likes

I was just watching a YouTube video that touches on this. Psychology says there are 3 things that will help to make you feel happy or fulfilled: close personal relationships, a challenging job or hobby, and helping others through pro-social behavior. This obviously isn’t the be-all and end-all, but I think it’s a good place to start.

3 Likes

Cultivate the feeling of fulfillment. Don’t look to outside factors and wait for them to make you feel fulfilled. If you know what fulfillment feels like, or you can imagine what it feels like, then conjure up that feeling and dwell in it, saturate yourself in the feeling, and sustain it. Maybe associate it with a simple affirmation or repetition, like “I am so grateful” or “isn’t it wonderful?” or something along those lines.

It’s like happiness. You might be happy if someone gives you a gift or you receive good news or a ritual works successfully, but the happiness is tied to an event, and so it fades, and life goes on. Realise that you can access the feeling of happiness or fulfillment whenever you want to, it already exists inside you and can be conjured to the fore at any time, if you deliberately choose to do so. Get into the habit of deliberately feeling that way. Rewrite your neural pathways. Your innate creative power of mind, and your physiological brain and its reticular activating system will do the rest.

But it must be actively cultivated into a default state of mind; it cannot just rely on fleeting outside circumstances.

2 Likes

I have been told that fulfillment is impossible and that we should always strive for more.

1 Like