How do gods view suicide?

Not encouraging anyone to do this.
Just wondering how Gods view people who commit suicide.

It depends on the God, some Gods couldn’t give a fuck about it, some will feel sad about it, some might even laugh at it. Some see it as something you should never do.

12 Likes

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

5 Likes

When it comes to microcosmic entities, death doesnt exist in the same way it does for us.
They could be killed, and then basically just respawn out of the aether as if nothing happened. What truly constitutes “damage” to a creature like that, is breaking them. Think of it this way- if you couldn’t truly die because youd just respawn, then it would actually be worse to have someone break your arm at the elbow in a way that you’d have a very difficult time healing from- since even the respawning mechanisms have their limitations. Or, they can also get sick and infected in some way. And last but not least, and the very common approach to it, is simply banishing the microcosmic entity to a plane they cant escape from.

I know that doesnt answer your question, but it’s an important fact to consider. Since you’re asking about their perspective.

It surely depends on the entities personal philosophies, but as a general rule it at the very least is considered weird. If a man commits suicide due to their own suffering, a macrocosmic entity might feel like the person is acting like a spoiled brat. Since, they dont even have the luxury of being able to die “just cause”. They, by nature, must endure what comes their direction. So typically they tend to feel that people should tough things out like they do.

Suicide as a matter of political statement, such as the monk who lit himself on fire in india to protest the British involvement, is another story. That’s seen by many entities as an excellent use of the ability to die, and you know he was in pain the whole time but didnt so much as move let alone cry out in pain (allegedly). Plus, I cant imagine that he ended up sending his soul to his own realm of hell, since he was a trained monk.

6 Likes

They reincarnate too.

from my experience with Demeter she has a side of her that cares but also may not care at all.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good point. They can also allow their essences to take on new forms, in very much a similar way that we can/do. But, that’s under vastly different circumstances than the microcosm of some dude who decides to kill himself because he’s depressed. Especially if that person isnt spiritual, at all, which is just a receipe for the exacerbation and prolonging of problems.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s spot on man .

1 Like

there’s a theory that the person who suicide loop over and over their death until their destine time is up. who knows? lol. It’s like the show death day but you only have one repeat death, no choices to change the death. haha.

it’s a punishment to experience the death over and over for doing such. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Demeter? Good compost perhaps.

1 Like

It all depends on the god and why. I don’t think Demeter would be too happy unless it was for a protecting or nurturing cause.

1 Like

In ATRs, they say you become a wandering soul or a malevolent spirit

2 Likes

I think you’d hear two major things.

1. Some might say that life is a gift and shouldn’t be squandered.

2. Some might say that it’s a big show of weakness, like quitting a game when you’re losing.

Over all, I don’t think you can expect anything good in the after life if you commit suicide.

6 Likes

You shouldn’t expect anything bad either, the nay or yay of suicide based around the Gods is through which faith you follow and which idea the individual deity feels or cares for that matter. Because human faith doesn’t determine how the Gods themselves view an action like that.

5 Likes

Yeah man I agree with that statement. Suicide had been regarded differently by different cultures but the underlying tone of sadness, and wasted opprotunities seems to be prevolent from what I’ve read.

1 Like

So velenos let me understand you. Example, suicide to a Japanese kamikaze soldier he’s committing the act of suicide as a glorious service for his empire. In his mind the act was noble sacrifice and he knows his family will honor him in memory.

For him the afterlife would be different than say a Catholic who committed suicide and has immense guilt and negative feelings about what they’d done and they’re following a religion that certainly frowns on the act.

The outcome will be different for both cases is this correct sir? Based on the belief systems that each subscribed to.

Like there is no universal rule on suicide it’s very subjective or based on belief system that was had by the person.

2 Likes

Yes it would be different because they both are following different pantheons and often times in Shinto and various Chinese cultures such an act can even deify the human. There’s also in some starseed beliefs that suicide is simply one of many ways you are meant to go out when your “mission” here is complete.

I don’t believe the Shinto Gods will punish him for doing something he viewed honorable and in the eyes of his family something good. However, how they address him either with the option to reincarnate, to be deified, etc is up to them and the family who choose to honor him in such a way, such as ancestral deities or household deities/yokai.

5 Likes

Yeah see that was what I was inclined to think on the subject also. Thanks for clarifying that.

1 Like

Catholics have softened their view on suicide; in most cases it’s now seen as dying from mental illness (ie a natural cause) rather than a rejection of life.

2 Likes

Yes you’re right about that.

maybe someone who has done a failed suicide . died, made contact with the other side and came back may have some legit info through personal experience. Or those who had near death experience. i’m sure there’s some books from those folks.

3 Likes