How did it get so complicated?

I recently picked up the The Lesser Key of Solomon the Peterson translation. Mainly for the pseudomonarchia daemonum and to have all the seals in one place. I noticed in the daemonum the instructions are just a circle and some conjurations. Which is a lot simpler than the rest of the lesser key. So how did it get so complicated? Any theories? Mine is that the magick was probably a lot more simple and powerful, fearing this power the priestly class or other rich, aristocratic people over complicated the grimoires on purpose with needless rituals to stop the average person from using it. As time passed and this stuff did get out, people like Crowley and the Golden Dawn over complicated even more trying to fit it into some Qabalistic structure when the lesser key and TG are self containted systems. Thoughts?

The more attention you give something, the more related detail it creates.

I do believe that the forces that try to control us and have always been controlling us (on the mundane spectrum of things) purposefully tried to make ritual over complicated so people would be too lazy to try it and would feel too afraid to shorten it down (thinking it may not work or may have negative consequence) and to make ordinary people feel like it’s something they can never do, something too complicated for the little guy to understand.

They also did this to pervert the original rituals by removing crucial steps, adding in extra steps that are not even necessary and then republishing or rewriting these books over the centuries every time they get the idea that more people are becoming interested in the occult so by the time the world finally opens up and magick is a normal every day thing that people do and speak about openly (just like going to church) the texts will have been changed so much that the rituals won’t be anything like the originals, confusing people and not working.

There is obviously some conspiracy behind it like theories that the bible was created to control people, theories that real magickal texts have also been changed and manipulated over the years. There is small crowd of people who are trying to keep real magick away from the 99% because they know it’s real and know that if enough of us start practicing the real thing that we can eventually control our own lives and not depend on their governmental systems anymore or possibly even get together and cast one hell of a curse on them and if enough people got together and did that, eventually there would nothing that group of practitioners could not destroy or overthrow.

Right now they are just waiting it out, and laughing every time someone comes forward with a real magickal solution as the majority of the masses laughs that person off the stage like a delusional idiot but do they not realize, there will always be some who will figure it out anyway and will start contacting these entities who will eventually tell you everything you want to know about the world and who thinks they are running it. Most of the entities I know are brutally honest and will not hesitate to disclose the proper way to do magick to those who are open to the idea that they exist and contact them.

1 Like

[quote=“Student of Goetia”]Read Skinners books as well as the Hygromanteia,
which is the source of the Grimorium Verum and the other books.
The circle changes hourly and the names are meant to confirm initiation.
Kabbalah has nothing to do with it, the various angels are of the realms and planets. Kabbalah’s interpretation would be distantly related, but has nothing to do with the circle. At the bottom of it you’ll find Solomon’s Testament and the orb regions ruled by their angels.[/quote]

Jake-Stratton Kent said that the Hgyro is a xian grimoire. I haven’t heard anything about the TG coming from that. Afaik it has more to do with Scot’s book than anything else and probably earlier then that.

The spirits of the Goetia and TG are older than xianity as proved by Geosophia. I will just use them in a more Greek way, with Hecate,ect.

[quote=“RavensAscent, post:3, topic:7339”]I do believe that the forces that try to control us and have always been controlling us (on the mundane spectrum of things) purposefully tried to make ritual over complicated so people would be too lazy to try it and would feel too afraid to shorten it down (thinking it may not work or may have negative consequence) and to make ordinary people feel like it’s something they can never do, something too complicated for the little guy to understand.

They also did this to pervert the original rituals by removing crucial steps, adding in extra steps that are not even necessary and then republishing or rewriting these books over the centuries every time they get the idea that more people are becoming interested in the occult so by the time the world finally opens up and magick is a normal every day thing that people do and speak about openly (just like going to church) the texts will have been changed so much that the rituals won’t be anything like the originals, confusing people and not working.

There is obviously some conspiracy behind it like theories that the bible was created to control people, theories that real magickal texts have also been changed and manipulated over the years. There is small crowd of people who are trying to keep real magick away from the 99% because they know it’s real and know that if enough of us start practicing the real thing that we can eventually control our own lives and not depend on their governmental systems anymore or possibly even get together and cast one hell of a curse on them and if enough people got together and did that, eventually there would nothing that group of practitioners could not destroy or overthrow.

Right now they are just waiting it out, and laughing every time someone comes forward with a real magickal solution as the majority of the masses laughs that person off the stage like a delusional idiot but do they not realize, there will always be some who will figure it out anyway and will start contacting these entities who will eventually tell you everything you want to know about the world and who thinks they are running it. Most of the entities I know are brutally honest and will not hesitate to disclose the proper way to do magick to those who are open to the idea that they exist and contact them.[/quote]

I agree with this 100 percent. What crucial steps do you think they left out ?

Well I guess we will agree to disagree. But could you start a thread about that? I would be very interested to read more about why you think that.

Well, short of the modern Crowlean and HOGD attempts, there’s always been blinders to fool the uninitiated. The majority of grimoires are only notebooks, not instruction manuals.

Fooling the unlearned served viable purposes. It keeps people alive, during times of persecution, and making sure people don’t summon something they’re unprepared for. Likewise, no sense in letting someone die because you were irresponsible with your craft. Templars used to keep mottoes and blinders after they came from the Middle East, to keep out Muslims and other things.

It get’s more complicated when people sell these erroneous materials for a quick buck and even more complicated when persecution begins again, as did with John Dee’s works from Meric Casaubon. Likewise, Dee did work for the Crown of England for a while and if you’ve ever worked for ANY government, there’s a lot they don’t want out. Of that, I’m sure.

I think a lot of people can’t accept that most magick really can be simple to do. And some need it to feed their own egos, everything must be exaggerate and complicated to show everyone and mostly themselves that they are “the chosen ones” are something. And it’s true when you start working with spirits they will tell you that 90% of this is all bull shit and why are you wasting your time doing it that way. But i might be wrong.

I agree with this. Magick is not complicated at all, all that extra stuff like lengthy rituals and tools is optional, if you want those things, but really all that is needed is your mind but at the very least for some, at least having a candle or sigil is good. These lengthy and complicated systems are not necessary and most were created by some douche bag looking to form his own church or cult and to make himself look more in tune with the spirits, he created a lengthy system to give the appearance of having unlimited knowledge flowing to him from the other realms. It’s all a power scam to get money, fame, and recognition.

Some of these so called masters of knowledge that people tend to highly respect like LeVay, Crowley, and Lovecraft, most of these people are just narcissists fishing for attention and do not deserve nearly the amount of respect and recognition they have been given over the years. Just my opinion and I know some here would disagree or even dislike my statements all together, but it’s just the way I see it. I cannot pretend to consider these people “the greats” of knowledge and the occult.

The other half of these complicated ritual books were written by religious people or at least revised by them to keep us ignorant.