How are you not choking on your incense during evocation?

So I don’t know if it’s allergies, that cold that the kids are catching, or all the incense smoke in inhale, but my lungs are a little . . .

I can sit in that incense for a long time, but I know it can’t be the healthiest thing. It clam-bakes my temple wicked hahd.

I evoke Amaymon a lot, so getting a lungful comes with the territory, but what are youse doing differently? Are youse choking on incense smoke too?

4 Likes

Not sure if “choking” would be how I describe incense.

Maybe you are indeed allergic?
Maybe you are burning too much at once?

3 Likes

Cheap fragrance coating and saw dust can do that.

5 Likes

No problems here. I’m suspecting A)Way too much incense B)You use a different kind of incense that’s more irritating than what I use (Frankincense and sandalwood, generally) or C) Allergies

5 Likes

Yeah, makes me ill, I just don’t use it most of the time. “Volatile organic compounds” are to blame, there’s information online about this.

I bought a cheap silk flame lamp online and use the shadows that casts into a corner sometimes, usually don’t use any base, maybe just a candle to give an alchemical (change of state) gateway.

8 Likes

Incense really have that strong of an effect on people?!

I am starting to fear my own incense is too weak and my practice will suffer if I am not coughing between the lines of an incantation.

3 Likes

People react differently to things, I guess :man_shrugging: The quality of the incense is probably a factor.

3 Likes

Once you get sensitised to it, smallish amounts cause problems because your body goes into overdrive. Sensitisation to any of the components can also cause a bad reaction:

To investigate the air pollution due to incenses burning, formaldehyde, respirable particulate (PM10) and 12 kinds of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and TVOC were measured and analyzed at different sampling sites in Temples located in Shanxi Province and Beijing, China. The main results showed that incense burning significantly elevates the concentrations of formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, xylene, and TVOC.
Source: VOCs and Particulate Pollution due to Incense Burning in Temples, China - ScienceDirect

4 Likes

Damn, but being an optimist, I see that the silver-lining is that now I can justify wearing a gas mask during rituals.

6 Likes

Uh oh! Am I always gonna have this lung butter now lol

But does that study mean that all incense is bad in the end, or can you make your own incense that is healthier?

Pure camphor, sage, and frankincense resin are reasonably safe for me but only in small amounts, and I can’t usually be bothered to risk it. Quality is a factor but not the only one, it’s a chemical thing and the chemical you react to may be within resins and other 100% pure substances.

4 Likes

Oh, I’ve been using some cheap incense sticks lol I only just recently graduated to actual frankincense and myrrh, but I’m probably going to have to invest in a bigger censor because I’m awkward with it.

4 Likes

When I did it for the first time I kept sneezing and coughing,so now I only use it sometimes and leave it far from me and only burn 1 , ive noticed it doesn’t really make a difference to the whole experience even if I don’t use incense

1 Like

OP, I hope you don’t mind but I had to fix the spelling in your title. The “youse” made it sound like a really bad Mafia gangster from the 1940’s :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I coughed on some occasions when putting benzoin on charcoal.

1 Like

Everyone is different, it would seem. I usually cough until I light the incense (frankincense and myrrh resin), but I also run peppermint oil in my study, for the same reason, through one of those table fountains. It has to be food grade because anything less will melt the diaphragm on the fountain’s pump.

My cough is usually an indicator to me of impure energies, in my experience.

1 Like

I keep the incense somewhere in the room, it’s strong enough to spread without needing to be up in my face to choke me out lol.

2 Likes

I usually don’t have a problem on my end for most incense ingredients. The only one I have had an issue with my spell breaking blend that was heavy on the spices end of things or straight copal. What I have found helpful is to have your window cracked while burning the incense. The spirits tend to emerge from the smoke coming directly from the incense as opposed to the smoke hanging out in the air for me so having my room completely hot boxed is a little pointless. Although it is funny to watch it fill the house upon leaving the ritual area.

2 Likes

I have never had a problem with this, though I do tend to use pure resins on charcoal over sticks and cones.

I tend to work outside, as well, so the considerable ventilation definitely has an effect there.