Help with vivid dreams

Hello everyone,
I am one of those people that have extremely vivid/lucid dreams and I lately it has been affecting me and my daily routine in a terrible way. I just can’t wake up and in the morning since I can never tell if I am sleeping or not. (Sometimes I dream that I just woke up and have gone with my day to REALLY wakeup in the afternoon and realise it was a dream)

I have been on the left-path for more than 15 years now and I don’t know what’s happening this time. (and yes, I’m sure is not a medical problem)
I can’t find anything in my library, in the internet nor with my colleagues in the Theosophical society.

Someone facing something similar? All thoughts welcomed,

much love!

1 Like

I battled with this kind of condition for several years. False awakenings, hypnagogic hallucinations, etc. They have been very real to me and sometimes it made me afraid to fall (back) to sleep again.
I don’t know what triggered it, guess I am simply wired this way or something.
Over a year ago I found a way to claim back my “turf”, so to speak. When I started working with spirits they also started to show up in my dreams more and more. It sounds REALLY stupid but these encounters always gave me a sense of safety and they also gave me some kind of “anchor point”, the feeling of “Aight, you’re dreaming, fuckface.”. As soon as I was aware that I was dreaming I interacted with my dream surroundings; I started to alter everything to my wishes. It turned into MY reality where everything does as I wish (I started with simple stuff, like designing a room to my taste or something). It took away the fear and replaced it with some kind of lucid playfield. Its mine. I suppose that the fear factor played a huge role. In my case talking and interacting with spirits and witnessing things that shouldn’t quite happen during daytime took away my fear, obviously.

For the hypnagogic hallucinations: they stopped entirely when I started to be aware that I have left to dreamland.

Maybe you can find your own way to make yourself aware that you are dreaming. And you either wake up (which is good enough if you don’t want to deal with this vivid clusterfuck) or you can use your findings to your advantage/entertainment. Do you think you could find any clue in your dreams that you’re not awake?

Maybe you will find that something with the light is off, for example. Everything is like it would be when you’re awake except for the way the light falls or a colour looks. Maybe the size of the room is not quite correct. I discovered that there are sometimes very small details that could point towards a dream state. Maybe you will encounter an object in your household that you don’t possess. Or you’re wearing something that you never bought. Try to check your clothing or your general self in a mirror if you’re encountering one.

I wish you all the best, I really hope you’ll find a way to claim back your dream territory again. I know how much this can suck.

6 Likes

Oddnan, Thank you very very much for sharing your experience with me.
It’s already really comforting to know that Im not alone in this crazy situation !

At least I don’t have nightmares, it’s only crazy dreams and a lot of them about daily routines, but yes, it does suck when it starts to mess up with the real world, right?

I’m going to try your tips for sure

x

2 Likes

Basically, I second everything @A_Pariah said.

I have been in your situation often times before. My “dream-test” is trying to fly. I can always fly in my dreams, so when I sleep, usually something feels a bit suspicious, I then try to fly and when it works, I’m fully aware that I’m in a dream.
I’m also often haunted by nightmares I still cannot control. When I wake up it takes me a few minutes to realize what happened, that everything was just a dream. I then stumble into the kitchen and eat a piece of chocolate or bread, or whatever. That helps to ground yourself and find back to reality.

For the waking up in the morning, I use an alarm app with light, it increases the light slowly for 20minutes until the alarm goes off. I wake up much better with this, and don’t really fall back asleep.

4 Likes

I still battle with dreams, lucid or regular lately. As of lately, they are dreams where I know all too well that I’m sleeping, but the catch is that I feel like I don’t want those dreams to end. They’re either dreams that have a ton of symbolism, battle dreams, or erotic dreams. It’s hard to narrow down what the dreams are one day to the next.

I aim to wake up at a fairly decent time, but when my alarm goes off I hit the snooze, then dismiss the alarm when it goes off and before I know it it’s already noon or afternoon and I’m feeling like I just woke up out of a coma.

What usually triggers me into a knowing I am dreaming state, is information. Someone will say my name, or my kids name or something about me that they cannot know. It immediately sets off some sort of alarm and sometimes in dreams I panic because being aware you’re dreaming doesn’t give you control, but more often than not it does.

I’m not sure how you could develop that sense though into your own dreamscape.

Edit: now that I typed all this up, I see it’s an older thread. Sorry op.