Good sources for more detailed background info / lore of Goetic spirits?

Like the title says. I’ve been reading books non stop, searching on this forum etc. Most books have nothing more than a list of powers, maybe a description of how they commonly appear. But it’s very commonly said that these ‘demons’ were considered gods of older cultures… where is that info coming from?

Specifically, I’d like to know more about Bune first and foremost. But also Furcas, Sitri, Orias…

I’ve only done petition rituals, I’m not yet at the level where I can ask them myself and receive a clear answer. If anyone hear has received detailed background info directly from these or other goetic spirits, I would most definitely find it very interesting!

1 Like

They weren’t though lol

There is only a very small handful for whom there is any actual historical evidence to suggest that. The rest is merely propaganda by those who have an inflated ideal about the demonic, and UPG, or unverified personal gnosis.

Some people want to believe so badly that their demons aren’t actually demons that they invented the concept of “masks” as a way to tie their demon friends to ancient pagan gods by claiming the demon is actually a mere change of clothes for the god.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m not suggesting they are all gods. I also don’t think they are all fallen angels either. I’ve read comments of people connecting Bune to everything from Egypt to ancient Japan. I’m just curious to know more about who exactly I’m trying to work with.

2 Likes

Which ones?

I don’t need them to not be demonic in order to work with them. I’m mostly just curious

2 Likes

Ba’al, for example, is mentioned in the Christian Bible as a god of the Canaanites. Specifically, he was known as Ba’al Hadid, a god of rain and storms (ba’al is actually the Canaan word for “lord” or “master”),

He actually comes from the same pantheon as EL, the father of the Judaic, and later the Christian, god, Yahweh.

We have archaeological evidence from the Canaan city of Ugarit in the form of inscribed tablets that mention him, along with shrines and idols.

3 Likes

Many if not majority of the goetia were force merged into Gods by LHP as there’s no historical evidence that links them.

Sitri does have another name called Bitru but I have not found much information on that name but I do know Sitri is a incubus/succubus.

Some demons like Asmodeus however, is a Djinn and his lore extends to Zoroastrian mythology.

2 Likes

Boy we see ALOT of THAT…

3 Likes

Velenos I read somewhere that asmoday was related to the persian “chasmodai” is this so?

Not sure, only information present on this entity is that they’re a spirit of the moon

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a shot. The answer is probably they are not related and what I read was just other Magicians upg or opinion. Thanks again though.